Soft Pannier racks/bars for as little as $6...that work!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Soft Pannier racks...on their way people!

And Wolfie has a disco ball in his shed! PAAARTAAY! :rockon:

I tried toi crop that out....i actually have 3 mirror balls...that one is only the "Baby" sized one! Yes, and they are very handy for the occasional house party at the Wolf Den! :rockon:

I also have very bruised hands today, from turning the threads on that round bar...all 16 threads! Bloody pi$$ week DJ hands! :spank:

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, ahhh, not wanting to toot your horn or anything but, ahhh, that scratch flap or as I would call it ' The Wolfman Flap' mate you should have a yarn to someone about it.
As with the frames for the panniers. Might seem simple to you but someone might want to make them for you as in TM (Trade Mark) and Registered Design.
After all, there are a lot of FZ6's out there. (worldwide)
You don't have the BD43 headlight mod, but I do and it came in the mail with instructions and turned out to be fantastic.

That Wolfman Flap is fantastic and I know thousands of riders that don't want hard case panniers or the expense of their frames. Enter the flap and frame!!!

What are your thoughts?
Rumps

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, ahhh, not wanting to toot your horn or anything but, ahhh, that scratch flap or as I would call it ' The Wolfman Flap' mate you should have a yarn to someone about it.
As with the frames for the panniers. Might seem simple to you but someone might want to make them for you as in TM (Trade Mark) and Registered Design.
After all, there are a lot of FZ6's out there. (worldwide)
You don't have the BD43 headlight mod, but I do and it came in the mail with instructions and turned out to be fantastic.

That Wolfman Flap is fantastic and I know thousands of riders that don't want hard case panniers or the expense of their frames. Enter the flap and frame!!!

What are your thoughts?
Rumps

I actually mofidied the "Wolfman Flap" after i took that photo, and made it even more extensive, with complete coverage, and i also added a second Flap further down to prptect the side pods....the second flap being secured by 2 cable ties, that also make it perfectly stable and impossdible to move!

I could make that even easier to use by changing the 'fasteners" to something more permanent, which would be an easy fix....

And your right, it is definitely worth trademarking, and packaging...in fact, the whole "System" is worth a patent, or trademark, IMHO.

If i combined the soft pannier bars, properly powdercoated, with the "Wolfman flaps", into a package...like i intend to do for you and Kris (my guinea pigs), and make a simple instruction sheet, i reckon i could put it on the market....it is a "complete solution" for those using any type of soft pannier bags on an FZ6....and it is absolutely a sinch to use! putting all of it on and off is a breeze, and does not create any issues with anything else on the bike....in fact, the bars strengthen the rear fender, and the "Flap's" will only decrease any heat coming up through the seat, via the underseat exhaust!

Making the whole shebang by hand takes about an hour a set at this point...would be quicker, if i was'nt cutting the threads by hand....that's the "grunt" work, and my hands are telling me that all day today!

But i know little of how to trademark, or patent a product....but i do know that with a bit of tweaking, this would be a very marketable product....just needs to be less home made, more volume production in look.

:thumbup:

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats fine my friend, I happened to be experienced in these matters and was merely sounding you out on your interest.
A company such as Oxford or Dririder or Ventura would be our goal, far better to have them make it and wear their fingers out I say!
We are at the research and development stage.
May I propose this scenario for you and lets keep in mind our legal rights.

1. You keep modifiying and designing this material and we shall test it on our FZ6 over the next few months. Any defects, problems or issues should eventuate by January 2011 and your final product would be developed by then so keep receipts.

2. Next time you are near a welding works / steel fabricator or similar, drop in your design and have it priced. Ask for a quotation for 10, 20, 50, 100 etc.

3. Design yourself a logo that can be made into a metal stamp that can be stamped on the frame.

4. Research freight. Not local, we want overseas, ordinary air or seafreight or try a larger company that handles US and elsewhere. I had a hunting riffle delivered from America recently and it didn't cost that much.

5. I have made a file for you so our trademarking process is already started. It is the defects we now need to monitor. Attaching the saddlebags is our next serious issue. Cable ties can be recommended but we need a strong, reusable system to make it 'foolproof'. Also instructions on fitting. So lets research and develop.

I might even have a shelf company sitting around here somewhere that could handle any liability issues.

Thanks,

Rumps

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats fine my friend, I happened to be experienced in these matters and was merely sounding you out on your interest.
A company such as Oxford or Dririder or Ventura would be our goal, far better to have them make it and wear their fingers out I say!
We are at the research and development stage.
May I propose this scenario for you and lets keep in mind our legal rights.

1. You keep modifiying and designing this material and we shall test it on our FZ6 over the next few months. Any defects, problems or issues should eventuate by January 2011 and your final product would be developed by then so keep receipts.

2. Next time you are near a welding works / steel fabricator or similar, drop in your design and have it priced. Ask for a quotation for 10, 20, 50, 100 etc.

3. Design yourself a logo that can be made into a metal stamp that can be stamped on the frame.

4. Research freight. Not local, we want overseas, ordinary air or seafreight or try a larger company that handles US and elsewhere. I had a hunting riffle delivered from America recently and it didn't cost that much.

5. I have made a file for you so our trademarking process is already started. It is the defects we now need to monitor. Attaching the saddlebags is our next serious issue. Cable ties can be recommended but we need a strong, reusable system to make it 'foolproof'. Also instructions on fitting. So lets research and develop.

I might even have a shelf company sitting around here somewhere that could handle any liability issues.

Thanks,

Rumps

That sounds like a business proposition to me...which i thought i smelt, a post or 2 back! :D

I already have a good idea for attaching the saddlebags, that is reusable, permanently attached, and neat, as i do for the scratch flap....further design development in my head, since my 2 "prototypes" last night....and it's super cool....a much smarter design, which will have even more other benefits....

Might be time for a PM or two re this!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woot :steve:

He finally bough panniers - Dri rider Touring Panniers - no more looking.

Now there'll be plenty of room for my hair straighteners :cheer:

Might take a photo tomorrow of the bikes set up for Tassie :D

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
He is worse than me......

I look 300 times normally before i buy! :ban:

I wish Mike would make his mind up on panniers - sick of looking at them in shops now ....

:rof: Im always in trouble for doing my "research" 50 million times....... Looks like we are all using the same setup for panniers , only diff is im using my Motodry tailbag instead of a Givi :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update.....today i stuffed with these bars a little bit more, and have made another set, that are quite a bit different, and far more effective at protecting the side pods on the FZ6, as well as taking the pillion pegs out of the clearance area issue...

Also modified the Scratch flap again too, and is also now much better...

Pictures tomorrow, and a couple of "new" sets of bars to be made for Rumpy & Kris....I AINT SENDING YOU THE FIRST PROTOYPES NOW BOYS....the "new" bars are too much better, for me to do that...

At this rate, the new pannier bars should be done by Wednesday...

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive got the Ventura Sports Panniers, they were the only ones at Peter Stevens the day I went looking for a set and are ok.
I tend to like Wolfman's better as they hold more.
But.... rather than do my head in, I got what I got and they are ok.

Well bloke, I have got my Maketa cordless drill out of its cardboard box and charging ready for its second job in 5 years, drilling 2 x 8mm holes in plastic.
Yeah, I vote and own a drill!!!!!!!
or is it
I vote and own a gun?

anyway my I can't use a 308 riffle to make an 8mm hole can I?

Rumps

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive got the Ventura Sports Panniers, they were the only ones at Peter Stevens the day I went looking for a set and are ok.
I tend to like Wolfman's better as they hold more.
But.... rather than do my head in, I got what I got and they are ok.

Well bloke, I have got my Maketa cordless drill out of its cardboard box and charging ready for its second job in 5 years, drilling 2 x 8mm holes in plastic.
Yeah, I vote and own a drill!!!!!!!
or is it
I vote and own a gun?

anyway my I can't use a 308 riffle to make an 8mm hole can I?

Rumps

Lol! Well, your drill could be firing up on Friday with any luck....am going to get out into the shed tonight and start bending again!!! Blisters from my last effort have healed!!!

First i gotta cook myself these really tasty looking Scotch Fillet steaks i have for Dinner! With Chips, and Fried Eggs of course!

Update tomorrow, hopefully...