So... I crashed on monday

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Was lane splitting at relatively slow speeds into a roundabout, when the lady to my left suddenly decided to go right, without using a signal. Got my leg pinched between her bumper and the bike, got some sort of a high-side, tumbled over the bike and slid probably four or five meters onto the asphalt.

Luckily everything is fine with me, except a very sore body and a 10 cm scratch down my left lower leg. It would be much worse if I hadn't used my gear! ATGATT...

My bike, however: Dented fuel tank, bend handlebars, scratched frame, sidecovers and rear hand grips. Broken footpeg on the right, bend gear and rear brake levers. Managed to get the bike home and took a look at it, and figured I might as well try out an idea I've had for some time. Taking the original handlebars upside-down, bashing in the tank (now it was ruined anyway, so why care?) so handles won't hit it. Before and after:

(damages aren't that serious, but they are very visible and ruins the look of the bike)
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

(paint is dead matte, this pic was taken right after last spray)

This actually turned out pretty nice (haven't had the time to take a pic with the tank on the bike yet) Problem now, however, is that I have managed to rip a tiny hole in the tank on one of the relatively sharp edges, while making the dent on the left side. Now tiny drops of gas are seeping out when the tank is full. Therefore, I need a new tank. Anyone that has one, preferably in Europe? It's impossible to get a used one in Norway...

Last edited:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your ok!!!!

How does that work with insurance?? Who is at fault and paying for the damages?

Thanks. Insurance hasn't been settled yet. Lane splitting is legal here, and I was doing everything right. The cager also did everything right, up until she turned right without using her signal and looking over her shoulder properly. My opinion is of course that she's at fault, but it will be up to the insurance companies to decide.

Time will show.

Last edited:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Took a couple of pics now of the bike with the tank on. It's pitch black outside, and it's a phone...

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since you wear all the gear all the time you need to treat your motorcycle the same. I don't see any frame sliders? That might have saved some damage. Good luck on the rebuild.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Since you wear all the gear all the time you need to treat your motorcycle the same. I don't see any frame sliders? That might have saved some damage. Good luck on the rebuild.

OR a frame slider could have broken off the entire engine mount, which have happened to others...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad You're OK! Sounds like you got off lucky considering all that was going on. Also kudo's for taking a bad scene and being creative! :thumbup:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you made out ok, and sorry about the damages to the bike. I guess you could always try to make your bike... "naked-er"?? :BLAA:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was lane splitting at relatively slow speeds into a roundabout, when the lady to my left suddenly decided to go right, without using a signal. Got my leg pinched between her bumper and the bike, got some sort of a high-side, tumbled over the bike and slid probably four or five meters onto the asphalt.

Luckily everything is fine with me, except a very sore body and a 10 cm scratch down my left lower leg. It would be much worse if I hadn't used my gear! ATGATT...

My bike, however: Dented fuel tank, bend handlebars, scratched frame, sidecovers and rear hand grips. Broken footpeg on the right, bend gear and rear brake levers. Managed to get the bike home and took a look at it, and figured I might as well try out an idea I've had for some time. Taking the original handlebars upside-down, bashing in the tank (now it was ruined anyway, so why care?) so handles won't hit it. Before and after:

(damages aren't that serious, but they are very visible and ruins the look of the bike)
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

(paint is dead matte, this pic was taken right after last spray)

This actually turned out pretty nice (haven't had the time to take a pic with the tank on the bike yet) Problem now, however, is that I have managed to rip a tiny hole in the tank on one of the relatively sharp edges, while making the dent on the left side. Now tiny drops of gas are seeping out when the tank is full. Therefore, I need a new tank. Anyone that has one, preferably in Europe? It's impossible to get a used one in Norway...
Well glad your Ok fella,
Good effort on getting your bike back on the road. Now I am not saying this is safe but it worked for me.
When I was a MC courier I put a 1 cm split in a petrol tank. I couldn't afford a new tank; so I opted to go for a repair and repaint. I used Araldite epoxy resin glue. It was fuel tight and lasted until I sold the bike two years later. I actually forgot about it.
It also preps well for re-painting.
Good luck.

Nelly

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ugh.. damn cagers! Glad you didn't get seriously hurt! Bike looks very unique. I'm digging your inverted handlebar :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You were lane-splitting in a roundabout?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe they're different in Norway, but here in the US (especially in Utard, where they're fairly new) I'm scared to enter a roundabout that's single-lane... in my truck! Seriously, they weed out the competent drivers from the common...

That "dish" you've formed on your tank would be a great place to set your gloves, or a cheeseburger, however... :thumbup:

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
Well glad your Ok fella,
Good effort on getting your bike back on the road. Now I am not saying this is safe but it worked for me.
When I was a MC courier I put a 1 cm split in a petrol tank. I couldn't afford a new tank; so I opted to go for a repair and repaint. I used Araldite epoxy resin glue. It was fuel tight and lasted until I sold the bike two years later. I actually forgot about it.
Good luck.

Nelly

This. ^ Or I'm pretty sure you can have the hole welded up, which would be the best option long-term. Of course you would have to take it apart and make sure all the remaining fuel is completely cleaned out. For obvious reasons. hahaha

Glad you're ok though, and your work with the tank looks great!

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
You were lane-splitting in a roundabout?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe they're different in Norway, but here in the US (especially in Utard, where they're fairly new) I'm scared to enter a roundabout that's single-lane... in my truck! Seriously, they weed out the competent drivers from the common...

That "dish" you've formed on your tank would be a great place to set your gloves, or a cheeseburger, however... :thumbup:

Haha, this is the roundabout in question:

Google Maps

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Well glad your Ok fella,
Good luck.

Nelly

Hmmm... I've actually played with that idea, using epoxy glue. I do believe I will get a new tank through the insurance, but I kind of like the new look of the bike with the inverted bars and the customized tank:rolleyes: And if I could make it work without spending too much money, that would be a bonus. Our new house and soon-to-be garage is and will be a money drain as it is...

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
This. ^ Or I'm pretty sure you can have the hole welded up, which would be the best option long-term. Of course you would have to take it apart and make sure all the remaining fuel is completely cleaned out. For obvious reasons. hahaha

Glad you're ok though, and your work with the tank looks great!

Welding and fuel tanks is a combination that possibly gives you the Darwin award:D

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, this is the roundabout in question:

Google Maps

It would have to be there or Sinsenkrysset. Those are the two roundabouts that I can think of right now where it is pretty safe to lanesplit.

Hope the insurance settlement works out to your advantage, and that the insurance companies don't agree that you are partly to blame. Shouldn't be, but roundabout cases very often end up with shared blame... :(