So cal ride sept 12 (NOW WITH PICS!!!)

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
lunch... we were not sure they had enough room in there... so we used the abandoned back patio :rockon:....

3913935655_177e9dfc39_b.jpg

a lot of parking space was required as usual... and it so happened to have the perfect curb waiting for us across the street...

3914720432_5fce45ddb1_b.jpg

3913936051_50b98ef1f5_b.jpg

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you guys had a great time, wish I could have gone :(. Hopefully I can join you guys on the next ride. Thanks for the Pix Wavex, always a pleasure to see them.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Vegasrider (Kenny)
2. nccoder (Cliff)
3. BryanDH (Bryan)
4. Wavex (David)
5. Cmayer31 (Craig)
6. McLovin (Mike)
7. Mostro (Jason)
8. Cali rider (John)
9. PowellB (Powell)
10. n00dle (Patrick)

I don't know why it took you guys so long to post up? You see, I was the first one back nice and safe. 750 miles today. My wrist is killing me.

Nice to meet all the new members and nice to see familar faces again, it's a great feeling. Had a blast, the miles logged was well worth it. For those who debate whether or not to come out for the ride, it's worth it you have no idea what you're missing. It's a very well organized ride, with lots of stops and time to talk and get to know everyone.

Maybe next time, it will be North Cal meets Southern Cal group ride and meet up some place in the middle.

Oh by the way.....we have all voted that David/Wavex is the forum staff photographer.

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
PowellB and I were toasting up the grade and all of a sudden some guy(opposite direction) stands his bike straight up in a turn and shoots right across on front of Powell.

Scaaaaary. As stupid as it was, I'm glad he had the sense to take the line that he did. For a moment he tried to hold his line and we were headed for each other dead-on.

Here's the evidence:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0hZp2HqN8]YouTube - NEAR MISS[/ame]

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scaaaaary. As stupid as it was, I'm glad he had the sense to take the line that he did. For a moment he tried to hold his line and we were headed for each other dead-on.

Here's the evidence:
YouTube - NEAR MISS

Damn, I didn't realize how close that was. There are some real bozos out there. Did you use your horn? Just kidding.

mostro

Previous FZ6'er
Reaction score
Visit site

Whoa, that was bad. He passed right in between you guys, across the other guy's path? I remember you saying that but I guess it didn't really sink in how much of a near miss that was. A butterfly flaps its wings in China...

From your cam, you actually get a view of the corner from his oncoming perspective. My guess is he turned in early, causing him to run a wide line, combined with target fixation from the cliff he was trying to avoid going over :confused: :(

mostro

Previous FZ6'er
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some of my pics from today:

3914092095_877cb47539_o.jpg

3914092153_738528d516_o.jpg

3914092303_e4dd15eb54_o.jpg

3914092349_f70be39016_o.jpg

3914877404_a8c0b26976_o.jpg

3914092467_fd0b2f3dc1_o.jpg

3914092515_ce8b134ec0_o.jpg

3914092561_2c95a72bc4_o.jpg

3914877774_a45efe9836_o.jpg

3914092637_4cff9e209d_o.jpg

Completely inexplicably, there is a giant yeti wearing an Uncle Sam hat luring you into the store. I think it probably works.

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
My guess is he turned in early, causing him to run a wide line, combined with target fixation from the cliff he was trying to avoid going over :confused: :(

Yeah, it's an easy mistake for an inexperienced/overconfident rider new to the road. The shoulder makes it look wider than it is until you actually get there -then it tightens and all the run-off disappears.

I'm sure a lot of us, including me, have had a close call dipping over the DY like that at some point in our riding careers and thanked our lucky stars no one was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hard to forgive, but as a rider I understand mistakes happen and hope that the a-hole squid learned his lesson and NEVER does it again.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, it's an easy mistake for an inexperienced/overconfident rider new to the road. The shoulder makes it look wider than it is until you actually get there -then it tightens and all the run-off disappears.

I'm sure a lot of us, including me, have had a close call dipping over the DY like that at some point in our riding careers and thanked our lucky stars no one was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hard to forgive, but as a rider I understand mistakes happen and hope that the a-hole squid learned his lesson and NEVER does it again.

He may have been on the pegs and panicked, standing her up with nothing left but trying to shoot for the shoulder. I'm just very thankful the Big Universe was lined up in our favor....

And yeah I'm still sucking in all the experience I can get and that includes EF'ups

Cliff

mostro

Previous FZ6'er
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I have to post some smashed bike pics :eek:

Dude on an Aprilia RSV tucked the front pushing too hard into a corner in front of me and another guy (sorry, I forget whom). I won't say too much about it since it's his deal not mine, but he ended up with a nasty cut on his finger and nothing else - quite lucky.

The headset exploded right off the frame, bike was in two, front wheel jammed under the guardrail, and coolant leaking into the blind corner. We worked quickly to get the bike off the road and slow down oncoming riders, and were on our way (he was fine, calling a tow).

3914877244_587f086363_o.jpg

3914092261_dae3344a36_o.jpg

3914959998_bc931a2305_o.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Here's the evidence:
YouTube - NEAR MISS

Here's the front view of the near miss from my bike. Funny we had both Gopro's running on this near miss...The video is still processing on Youtube so it might not be as good as a 1/2 hour from now. As soon as you hear me back off throttle is when it's a done deal and he's already across PowellB's path and took the right shoulder shooting buy me on the right.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCrO47N1Xpw]YouTube - Powell nearmiss[/ame]

Cliff

Last edited:

westgoingzax

I ride a motorcycle
Reaction score
Visit site
Check-in

1. Vegasrider (Kenny)
2. nccoder (Cliff)
3. BryanDH (Bryan)
4. Wavex (David)
5. Cmayer31 (Craig)
6. McLovin (Mike)
7. Mostro (Jason)
8. Cali rider (John)
9. PowellB (Powell)
10. n00dle (Patrick)
11. Westgoingzax (Alex)

I had fun on the ride! It was good to meet and ride with all of you. Special thanks to the sweepers since I was in the back. haha

The pictures are looking good, glad you guys brought cameras.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some more pics...
Thank you all for the pictures, memories, and friendship. You all :rockon:
Cliff

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
ok I'll post that one now... even though I still need to work out all the names... I got most of them, so let me work on it...

everybody with their bikes:

3913935047_26164f4a7d_b.jpg

ok my brain works again after a good night's sleep, so here is the list of names/nicknames:

FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:

1. I believe his name was Dave, on the R6... who's friend on here was he with again? Him and I should probably apologize for the piss poor job we did leading up Palomar the first time around... we kinda took off without really worrying about the group... sorry :spank: could not resist the call of the next corner... when we got to the top and did not see our sweeper within 10min, nor the rest of the 2nd group, I knew someone crashed... I was glad to hear it was no-one from our group and that the dude on the Aprilia was fine... the pic of his bike is crazy/scary though!

2. Mike McLovin... good to see you again bro and I love your headlight setup :D

3. John Cali_Rider: thanks for sweeping, leading, helping with the route...etc...

4. me

5. Powell PowellB... great to meet you and nice riding!! will need to meet up again for sure... about your video: O.M.G!!!! very scary stuff... I had not realized how bad it was until I saw this... between this and the Aprilia, it must have "cooled" some of you guys early on!!! As Nate always says, "motorcycles are dangerous" no matter how safe you are... glad it's all just a bad memory...

6. Jason monstro is in the back there, with the Duc that you can't see on the pic... how's the soreness today bro? :D I bet 400 miles on the Duc is a lot of work... looks and sounds better than ever though...

7. Kenny Vegasrider, our hero :D great to ride with you again man! You are simply awesome.

8. Dave, smokenu, great to meet you and thanks again for putting this together...

9. Cliff nccoder, thanks for everything! great to meet you... I had a great time following you for a few miles... that was a good spirited run :rockon:

10. Alex Westgoingzax, great to meet you and I glad we had the chance to shoot the sh*t for a while... looking forward to riding with you again!

11. Craig cmayer31: great to meet you... watch out for babies bro.... you'll have 2 of them before you can realize it :D

12. Rob rsw81 dude you did not check in yet... got home OK?

13. Patrick noodle, great to meet you man!

14. Bryan BryanDH: how was the 80's party??? we need a pic of the mullet :rockon:

Last edited: