Slow, tight U-turns...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the MSF Beginner's Course I just completed, we were to do U-turns as tight as possible, in second gear with a bit of throttle added (to keep the motor from stalling), and then control the speed of the bike itself with the rear brake only. Didn't see anything like that in my Proficient Motorcycling book, and I never did it very well during the course.

Is that how most of you more experienced guys do a U-turn? Do any of you leave it in 1st gear? I want to put in the practice, but being it's MY bike that I'll tip over if I do it wrong now, I'd like to start out at least in the correct gear with the right technique.

Thanks in advance!

I normally use 1st gear, if taking off from a stop. at the really slow tight stuff I lean the bike and counter balance with my body. if I'm doing circles or figure eights I use 2nd gear and use a balance of clutch and brake control to keep the bike in a tight radius and stable.
:Sport:

That depends, if it's a really tight turn I will (as I learnt during drivers license training) do it in first gear slipping on the clutch while keeping the revs up to ensure that I have traction and if I should go too fast I control that with the rear brake since the front brake is too good... If the U-turn isn't all that tight then I might attempt it in second but then it's at higher speeds with som leaning involved.

My last month U-turn practice session ended with me kissing asphalt. Armed with Uncaged sliders, I had another session yesterday. For me, the key was to keep my hands off of the brakes or the clutch. I stay in 1st, speed about 5 mph, try to put my weight on the outside peg, lean a little and turn the handlebars just short of locking. I am able to do left turns in less than 20 ft and right turns in less than 23 ft. I can make a 20 ft right turn, but just not consistantly.

I normally use 1st gear, if taking off from a stop. at the really slow tight stuff I lean the bike and counter balance with my body.
:Sport:

+1 That's the method Lee Parks teaches in his book "Total Control". I need more practice at it too but I can do it, it's just not pretty sometimes. LOL

Yep 1st gear, use the rear brake, and lean the bike under me. They make it look easy in the pictures, and I make it look like a monky humping a elephant. It does work though.

The U Turn was my weak point. Instructor had some really good advice:
It was always done in 1st gear but really rev that engine up. The increased revs acts like a gyro and helps keep the bike upright. Turn the bars on fully with your inside arm straight and your body weight on the outside to counter the turning. Then use the clutch and rear brake as required to get you round.
Never touch that front brake, I learnt that one the hard way!

During practice I slam dunked the class CB500 twice before getting it right. Just glad I got it out of the way on some one else's bike.

The U Turn was my weak point. Instructor had some really good advice:
It was always done in 1st gear but really rev that engine up. The increased revs acts like a gyro and helps keep the bike upright. Turn the bars on fully with your inside arm straight and your body weight on the outside to counter the turning. Then use the clutch and rear brake as required to get you round.
Never touch that front brake, I learnt that one the hard way!

During practice I slam dunked the class CB500 twice before getting it right. Just glad I got it out of the way on some one else's bike.

Spot on good advice there...exactly how its ment to be done. Slip that clutch so that the high revs dont drive the bike too fast...there is a certain point (biting point) where you can get the bike under full control and your U turn will be such a breeze.

A point that I haven't heard mentioned. You HAVE to turn your head into the turn! You have to look where you want to go. If you are looking anywhere other than where you want to be, you will probably eat pavement. It may seem odd, but it will make one heck of a difference in tight or big turns.

A point that I haven't heard mentioned. You HAVE to turn your head into the turn! You have to look where you want to go. If you are looking anywhere other than where you want to be, you will probably eat pavement. It may seem odd, but it will make one heck of a difference in tight or big turns.

Haha..aren't the obvious things always the hardest to remember when giving advice!! :) I had this problem when I was learning the U turn...I kept looking down!! and down the bike would go! Always look up and where you want to go!!

A good point again! :)

That was one of the greatest things about taking the MSF course. I've read countless times to "turn your head into the turn", but it took a couple of outside instructors, watching me, to make me realize I was very bad at that! They would even say to me, "You looked right at the second cone, didn't you?" (that was the one I ran over) Yup. Look where you want to go!!! , not at the obstacle! :thumbup:

Not just there, out on the road too. Look where you want to go and point the bike that way. Yeah, it makes a really big difference...

Looking at where you need to go makes all the difference. I failed my test twice because I put my foot down on the u-turn. Not looking where I was meant to go then going wide, then looking at the kerb, then thinking I wasn't going to make it and put my foot down.

Accurate use of the rear brake helps a great deal too

+1 on look where you want to turn. I use first gear and let the engime idle speed carry me. I also find that with the corect air pressures in the tyres. The whole task becomes easier.

I heart U turns, when i was practicing for my test my friends and i read the requirements wrong so we had the U-Turn dementions way to small while we were practicing. The whole time practicing we were practicing getting a u-turn within the width of 2 regular parking spots (about 16 feet). After all that practicing it turned out it had to be within one traffic lane so that was a piece of cake considering i was able to get it within 2 parking spots.

Back