Sleep Number beds?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my entry into "Most off topic thread ever" contest.

Keira and I are looking into new beds and in our search we found some that we liked and then went into a sleep number store and fell in love with the sleep number bed system. it is a bit more expensive, but we like that it comes with a 20 year warranty, no springs to compress or wear out, no "flipping/rotating" regiment, and adjustability for each person. I am looking for anyone that has one that can tell me what the long term, not in the store for an hour or two experiences with them are.

I am only skeptical because i usually avoid gimmicky things and stick with the tried and true, but this seems like the way to go as far as beds are concerned.

anyone have one? what do you think?

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I personally don't have one, but talked to a lot of folks who do. They absolutely love them and would highly recommend them. And - one of them is our Physical Therapy Director - whose opinion I really respect given his line of work.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have any experience with the sleep number but my friends have one and are pleased with it. If I'm not mistaken the mall near my parent's place has a sleep number store in it that you can go in and try them out. I'd probably want to go lie on one for as long as they'd let me before deciding haha.

I think if I were to look at purchasing a bed I'd get one of the tempurpedic knock-offs. I think they're pretty comfortable but at the end of the day it matters what you like. again, I don't have any experience with the sleep number beds but I've never heard a bad thing about them.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have three co-workers that own them and love them, no regrets. We didn't get one but looked at them. They've been around for a long time and have a good rep. When you break down the price over 20 years, it's not a lot of money at all.

We ended up with a Simmons Beautyrest Plush, but it's more firm witha plush pillow top that has about 1.5" of the memory foam it it. Now we complain that the bed is too comfortable and we don't ever want to get up!

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had memory foam mattress for 3 years now. We had pocket spring one before and I thought that was good, but the memory foam works really well. Strange at first but once you get used to others seem soggy. Our one has sides with different softness, can't say I notice but it is a feature. Also on the bug front they are much better as there is no where to hide or for the build up of their output :)eek:).

billk

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had one since before they started calling them "sleep number" beds. They were just Select Comfort back then (1998). I have had a sore back and felt I needed more support, so I dial up the number and feel great in the morning. I recommend them for sure.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thank you all for your replies, Keira and I did lay on one and did the pressure mat thing to see our pressure points and watched them go away with different settings on the bed. They seem great, and from the sounds of it they will stay just as good after a long time.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
We have two of them. One is 12+ years old (Select Comfort) with no issues. The other is only 3 years old, no issues either.

They cost about the same as a high end spring mattress and the ability to adjust is great. I don't adjust my side often but there are times when a little change is good.:thumbup:

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Best bed I've ever had! My hubby was a really big man, 6'7" and 300# so finding a bed that worked comfortably for both of us was a challenge. We bought 3 other beds that didn't work out then got the sleep number and it was/ is wonderful. It's a king bed but even w/o Butch I won't give it up since I can't afford to replace it with a smaller one and wouldn't buy anything else. I also recommend getting their waterproof mattress cover, it is well worth the price, of course with 7 dogs it's a necessity for me :eek:. I have one set of their sheets and they too are great, when I'm rich I'll buy more, until then it's JCP clearance rack for me ;) Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My girlfriend's parents have one and like it. But, when I was buying a mattress, the salesman said one important thing to me, which may be helpful. He said, as soon as you can't tell the difference anymore, stop paying more. So basically it's whatever you like, and what fits you.

What's their return policy if you don't like it?

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last I checked, it was 30 days... best if you have a spare room to set it up in and try it there first. That way you don't disrupt your MBR for the trial period. If you like it, disassemble the MBR and move it in.

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think if I were to look at purchasing a bed I'd get one of the tempurpedic knock-offs. I think they're pretty comfortable but at the end of the day it matters what you like. again, I don't have any experience with the sleep number beds but I've never heard a bad thing about them.

Just a word of caution on the knock-off Tempurpedic beds, a guy I work with bought one about 5-6 years ago and said that in the last year it has started to sag. He is not a very big guy, about 180 lbs and his wife is only about 120 lbs but he said that you can tell where they both sleep. We have a chair at work with real Tempur material in it that is about 8 years old and is still the most comfortable chair we have, these chairs are used 15-20 hours 7 days a week. We have a chair with the knock-off tempur material that feels like a very soft sponge when you sit on it now after about 5 years.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a word of caution on the knock-off Tempurpedic beds, a guy I work with bought one about 5-6 years ago and said that in the last year it has started to sag. He is not a very big guy, about 180 lbs and his wife is only about 120 lbs but he said that you can tell where they both sleep. We have a chair at work with real Tempur material in it that is about 8 years old and is still the most comfortable chair we have, these chairs are used 15-20 hours 7 days a week. We have a chair with the knock-off tempur material that feels like a very soft sponge when you sit on it now after about 5 years.

We tried one of those... horrible! Yes, it's great for a few minutes in the store and great the first time you lay down for that first sleep... but then, you sink in... you wake later, just a bit, because you want to roll to another position... and you realize you're stuck in a human-form valley, so when you change positions, you're not comfortable until the bed reshapes itself.

Then, you wake up in the wee hours of the morning and discover the bed doesn't "breathe" at all and you're sweating beyond belief!

Did I like it? :spank: :Flip: to tempurpedic! (Yes, it was a genuine one!)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My ex-in-laws have a pair. Yes just like Rob and Mary....a pair of twins. Once they got them they set them up and never touched them. After they owned them for a while they felt that they were not worth it. Hope this helps.

wpgibson

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife an I have had a queen size select comfort for about 6 years, its great.

She can sleep in a soggy hole on her side, and I can sleep on firm planks when I need to.

As the bed has gotten older, I notice that the bed doesn't hold its setting as long as it used too, but its not really an issue. I reset it once every 3 days or so, and thats all there is too it.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thank you all for all your help, we ordered the sleep # bed yesterday, we went into the store and laid on them for about an hour or so and i could NOT find a position that i felt uncomfortable once i got the bed to my sleep number. it will be here in 1-2 weeks and we are very excited.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The thing about bed that bother me is that, a ten year old be can have about 1000000 of these. I think the next time I buy a bed it's going to be comfortable and cheap so I can get a new one every couple of years.
dustmi3.jpg

dustmit3.jpg

dads_dust_mite.jpg

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
The thing about bed that bother me is that, a ten year old be can have about 1000000 of these. I think the next time I buy a bed it's going to be comfortable and cheap so I can get a new one every couple of years.
dustmi3.jpg

dustmit3.jpg

dads_dust_mite.jpg

Those little buggers would have an awful hard time living in a sleep number bed me thinks..... What with the fact that there's no stuffing and all....

I'm super excited about our new bed, I can barely wait!

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
timely posting...we ordered a sleep number bed a week ago. my inlaws have one and really like it, and i am a stomach sleeper (needs firm bed), while my wife is a side sleeper (soft bed)....so we figured we would give it a try.

my only concern was all the internet discussions about mold, and the recall/class action lawsuit they had a few years ago.

its been a week so far, and we have no tracking number yet. im hoping it gets here this week.