So lately I've been feeling.. "Stuck"

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Well from the original post im assuming you're not married/tied down. here's my big suggestion. If you like hiking, skiing, rock climbing, kayaking, riding, etc. then you probably want to meet somebody (special somebody) that is also into the same stuff, none of which exists in your current location. But, job opportunities are equally as important. so.....

1. Find a list of cities that are close to the things you like to do.

2. Look to see how the economy is doing in those cities especially in your field of work

3. Now you start looking at apartments/other places to live

4. Remember that a small comfort zone means a larger less comfortable zone. Find what you love and try to experience it while you're still young enough to mess around with income.

5. Go for it.

When i graduate, im moving to somewhere i can ride at least 75% of the year, go mountainbiking, hiking, and just get away. if the opportunity exists there are other people doing it and you will find new friends that enjoy the same stuff as you.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, Long post ahead, grab some :popcorn: if you'd like, or skip the post altogether. But I'm sharing this with you guys because I feel connected to this community, and I'd like feedback, other's personal experiences, and just general advice. Thanks! Anyway, on to the story!

As you all may or may not know, I'm a west michigander. (Go Lions, Tigers, and Red wings!!!) I've lived in West Michigan my whole life. Grew up around Grand Rapids, and last september I took a job and moved to Holland (about 20 miles away from my parents' house.) I moved out there because I wanted a bit of a fresh start, while staying close to family and close to home. I've never really had a fresh start so to speak, as I went to college ~15 miles from home so I just lived there all except my freshman year. Well, the move didn't really do what I had hoped. Right before I moved, I started going to a youth group at a local college which is about 20 miles from my current location, and about 35 miles from my parents' house. Because of this, the entire summer was basically spent out there playing sports with friends and just hanging out and having a great time. This was great! For a while.. After a while the straight roads of MI started to grow dull and dreary, and everything became a "schedule"... but it was the same sort of "schedule" I'd had my entire life and I was getting sick of it. This only compounded over these past few months, as I found myself braving the weather to drive 20-25 miles to either my parents' house, or to the college. None of my friends wanted to drive out to Holland as "20 minutes is too far to drive...." Which basically turned into me paying hundreds of dollars for a really nice apartment which I was using to sleep in and not much else. (Though it does have a nice garage for my baby. ;) )

Some of you might remember my ride report earlier in the year about my Colorado trip. Well, I can't stop thinking about being there... I dream about the mountains, look at pictures and watch the gopro videos I recorded while out there over and over and over... I am just in love with everything out there. So over the past couple months, I've started considering trying to find a job out there. I am just so sick of the same old droll that west michigan brings. I mean, it's a great place to live and raise a family, but a terrible place to meet women, haha. (And being a 22 year old single guy.. yeah.) There's little adventure here for me. I love things like hiking, mountain biking, canyon roads, getting lost in nature.. And I just don't have that kind of stuff around here. I honestly kind of feel like my manhood is dying because I just don't have any adventure around here at all.

So I finally made up my mind after a date I went on (which went well for the most part, save for the fact that the girl was clingy as all get out. During the first date, which was the 2nd time we'd met, she was saying things like "So you like me and I'm going to be your girlfriend? :D" and "I'm so happy I met you!" which totally freaked me out.) that I was going to do it. I'm going to move to Colorado within the year. My lease on my apartment is up in september, so that's my deadline to find a job. If I don't by then, i'm just going to pack everything up and move. Find a job while I'm out there. I've got some money saved up so that's not an issue, and I have a place to stay out there until I get on my feet. But I feel like this is something I need to do in life for me. I talked to my cousin who lived out there for 5 or 6 years, and he suggested I move to the Colorado Springs area. My aunt and uncle live about a half hour from there, and I have a friend an hour away in Boulder. I also have a friend who rides a 2007 R6 who said she'd make the leap out there with me if she could find a decent job out there. So that'd help things.

But I would be leaving my immediate family behind, and we're all pretty close. They are all, however, quite tech savvy and skyping into family time and such wouldn't be a huge deal. I'm sure we could make that work. :)

So what are your thoughts guys? Has anyone else made a jump like this (1250 miles) and regretted it? My friend who lives in boulder said he hasn't for a second. I truly believe this is something I really want to do.

And I'd love to hear all similar experiences and how they worked out for you guys!

Thanks in advance,
- Xavias

P.S. The FZ6 would definitely go with me! Though she might get traded for a d675 eventually ;)

I am exactly in the same situation as you.

In fact I just graduated from college so I am free as a bird, no loans either.

I love NYC but I kind of hate living here too.

Back in Poland I lived in smaller town in a rural area. Lakes, forests etc were within reach. I love the outdoors.

That's why I am looking at moving to sunny West coast. I hate NYC weather.

I am too close with my family, in fact outside of them I don't really have any other family here in the states. Sure I have some uncles/aunts up in Connecticut but they are not my immediate family.

Since I graduated from college a week ago, I am thinking of enlisting in the military if i won't find a intellectually stimulating job. I am not sure what to do yet but it has been on my mind a lot lately and I kind of really want to do it while I am still young.

I totally get where you are going from. I will just say that it's always great to embrace the unknown and forge new paths.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, we're all here when you need us :hug: like family, right?

And we'll definitely do that ride!
Once you get on your feet out here, you need to save a few bucks and get a dual sport! You won't regret that decision either! :thumbup:

p.s. what line of work are you in??

I'm a software developer, as I enjoy programming. :) (I'm weird, I know.)

I hear there's no shortage of tech companies out there...

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Been there done that. I move from Montreal to the USA 12 years ago. Found a job and just left for 1 year... never made it back! Your friends always going to be your friends, so your family. I was just a snug older than you when the idea of "hitting the open road" came to me. Glad I did follow my dreams and did the things I wanted to do.

Your still a young man. People will come and go in your life, even more true with the ladies. You need to live your own life and dreams. Go out there and hit it hard!!! Nothing worst than doing things 1/2 way.

Think of 20 years from now. Would it be better looking back at all the things you did, or should have done? Life pass by fast, really fast. You already wasted time... don't wait and listen the adventurist within you... that's what life is all about.

Cheers and good luck! Start your life now!!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
22, young and single. Vegas!

There is an area called tech center south of Denver, must call it tech center for a reason. You might get lucky searching in that area.

You only live once, go for it. I'm not even going to wish you luck because you won't need it.

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't even know why you would question the desire to go explore. Almost every culture through history has had some point where a boy becomes a man by going on a big adventure ("THIS IS SPARTA", hehehehe). I would do it without question, in fact you're a lot smarter about your planning than I was.

I went to undergrad in Ithaca, NY from Seattle, WA or approximately 3,000 miles away. I packed 2 duffle bags and my athletic bag and got on a airplane. Showed up, got a taxi and got dropped off at orientation. Never doubted for a second it was the right thing to do. I've made some amazing friends from there and got to explore what life in the Northeast is about.

I then moved back home to Seattle and realized I would get stuck there and applied to naturopathic med school and moved to Tempe, AZ, approximately 1,400 miles away. I basically filled out the application, interviewed and moved 2 weeks later. On my 4th day in Tempe my car was stolen and never recovered. I still didn't doubt that it was the right thing to do. I've been through some amazing good times and some really $hitty times. I've been in Phoenix going on 12 years now. I'm not quite ready to move on just yet because I haven't achieved what I've set out to do, but when I do, I can guarantee I will be on to the next adventure.

Here are a couple of things I've learned. You will always meet the right person at the right time. Say yes to life, People will show up to help when you least expect it. You can always go back, but as you grow your old life won't fit any more. Always do your best, and in the good and the bad times remember that "this too shall pass."

Good luck man, be safe, and stay shiny side up.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
there is some great advice given, much better than my humble words for sure.

living with regret on what you could have done and not done is not nice. it keeps nagging you your whole life, so go for it. your current friends will still remain and if you can skype etc, it will not be too hard as you pointed out. you can meet new people with new ideas, and widen your peers and the right lady will come to you, that s the least thing to worry about, she will come when you would least expect it.

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, Long post ahead, grab some :popcorn: if you'd like, or skip the post altogether. But I'm sharing this with you guys because I feel connected to this community, and I'd like feedback, other's personal experiences, and just general advice. Thanks! Anyway, on to the story!

As you all may or may not know, I'm a west michigander. (Go Lions, Tigers, and Red wings!!!) I've lived in West Michigan my whole life. Grew up around Grand Rapids, and last september I took a job and moved to Holland (about 20 miles away from my parents' house.) I moved out there because I wanted a bit of a fresh start, while staying close to family and close to home. I've never really had a fresh start so to speak, as I went to college ~15 miles from home so I just lived there all except my freshman year. Well, the move didn't really do what I had hoped. Right before I moved, I started going to a youth group at a local college which is about 20 miles from my current location, and about 35 miles from my parents' house. Because of this, the entire summer was basically spent out there playing sports with friends and just hanging out and having a great time. This was great! For a while.. After a while the straight roads of MI started to grow dull and dreary, and everything became a "schedule"... but it was the same sort of "schedule" I'd had my entire life and I was getting sick of it. This only compounded over these past few months, as I found myself braving the weather to drive 20-25 miles to either my parents' house, or to the college. None of my friends wanted to drive out to Holland as "20 minutes is too far to drive...." Which basically turned into me paying hundreds of dollars for a really nice apartment which I was using to sleep in and not much else. (Though it does have a nice garage for my baby. ;) )

Some of you might remember my ride report earlier in the year about my Colorado trip. Well, I can't stop thinking about being there... I dream about the mountains, look at pictures and watch the gopro videos I recorded while out there over and over and over... I am just in love with everything out there. So over the past couple months, I've started considering trying to find a job out there. I am just so sick of the same old droll that west michigan brings. I mean, it's a great place to live and raise a family, but a terrible place to meet women, haha. (And being a 22 year old single guy.. yeah.) There's little adventure here for me. I love things like hiking, mountain biking, canyon roads, getting lost in nature.. And I just don't have that kind of stuff around here. I honestly kind of feel like my manhood is dying because I just don't have any adventure around here at all.

So I finally made up my mind after a date I went on (which went well for the most part, save for the fact that the girl was clingy as all get out. During the first date, which was the 2nd time we'd met, she was saying things like "So you like me and I'm going to be your girlfriend? :D" and "I'm so happy I met you!" which totally freaked me out.) that I was going to do it. I'm going to move to Colorado within the year. My lease on my apartment is up in september, so that's my deadline to find a job. If I don't by then, i'm just going to pack everything up and move. Find a job while I'm out there. I've got some money saved up so that's not an issue, and I have a place to stay out there until I get on my feet. But I feel like this is something I need to do in life for me. I talked to my cousin who lived out there for 5 or 6 years, and he suggested I move to the Colorado Springs area. My aunt and uncle live about a half hour from there, and I have a friend an hour away in Boulder. I also have a friend who rides a 2007 R6 who said she'd make the leap out there with me if she could find a decent job out there. So that'd help things.

But I would be leaving my immediate family behind, and we're all pretty close. They are all, however, quite tech savvy and skyping into family time and such wouldn't be a huge deal. I'm sure we could make that work. :)

So what are your thoughts guys? Has anyone else made a jump like this (1250 miles) and regretted it? My friend who lives in boulder said he hasn't for a second. I truly believe this is something I really want to do.

And I'd love to hear all similar experiences and how they worked out for you guys!

Thanks in advance,
- Xavias

P.S. The FZ6 would definitely go with me! Though she might get traded for a d675 eventually ;)

I can can say from personal experience that it will be totally worth it. I moved here from India when I was 22 also, and even though it was hard at first, the positives more than made up for it. Plus I met my now-wife. :thumbup:

The best will be that you will be exposed to a different micro-culture and meet people with new and interesting perspectives which are different from yours. But embrace this, don't try to seek out people who are exactly like you. Its only by assimilating good things from the new experiences we have that we become better people. Living in your little corner is comfortable no doubt, but you are young enough to take a risk like this. IMHO, go for it!

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
I left my family when I was 17 to go to college in the US. I spent the next 4 years studying and then 3 years working. I then met a girl 1.5 years ago so a few months later I sold everything I owned in the US and moved back to Europe just to be with her. Thankfully my boss was cool about it and let me continue my work for him as a contractor. I've been in France for a little over a year now, I'll propose to my gf soon and we were thinking about moving somewhere more exotic like Reunion or New Caledonia to spend a few years there.

As someone who's left his home country when he was 14 and his parents when he was 17 I'll just say DO IT and don't look back :) Nothing better than a big positive change once in a while.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
there is some great advice given, much better than my humble words for sure.

living with regret on what you could have done and not done is not nice. it keeps nagging you your whole life, so go for it. your current friends will still remain and if you can skype etc, it will not be too hard as you pointed out. you can meet new people with new ideas, and widen your peers and the right lady will come to you, that s the least thing to worry about, she will come when you would least expect it.

I can tell you a regret story. My dad visited Arizona back in the late 70s, I believe just after I was born and before my brother was born. He wanted to move here so bad. The problem was that he had a previous marriage with 2 youg girls 6 and 8. Their mom wasn't always with it, but her family was pretty good so the girls most likely would have been taken care. My dad didn't move us down to Arizona. He told me about the area where he was looking at buying a house. If he would have gone through with it, the property he was looking at became worth millions if he would have held on to it till the housing boom. Needless to say he didn't follow his heart/dream and our entire family suffered for it becaues he wasn't happy where we grew up, even to the point at sometimes blaming his unhappiness on us. He eventually moved to Arizona in 2003 with my mom. I would say over the last 10 years, he's the happiest I've ever seen him, and on top of that my parents have even gone through a foreclosure during that time, yet they are still pretty happy.

Moral of the story, there are sometimes our heart/soul strings pull at us to do something in what seems like for no reason or against what we know. Follow your heart, listen to your gut and keep your wits about you.

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
I left my house at 16 and moved to a totally different geography for education. At 21 I moved to Chicago , oh about 10,000 miles from "home";).
Then mid way through graduate school decided, I wanted to pursue specialization in something else and on my professors recommendation looked to the East and moved to Washington DC. My first job took me to ATL.
At age 25 after spending 3 years in the south (miss it tons) and getting laid off, I had several job offers from all over the country (LA, Seattle, DC, NYC, Boston etc) I moved to Boston on a whim, simply because I was always fascinated with the sports culture and all the history here in NE.

Met my wife here, fathered a son with another one on the way. Life turned out pretty good. My take away from all this is, in-spite of the best plans (which are essential) sometimes it is just fun to hold the finger of fate and just cruise.
At your age, I wouldn't worry about making mistakes as long as you do not wallow in them and I would advise you to make a run for it. One thing I would pay heed to is; making strides toward the career that you wish to choose while you are on this journey. To put it blithely do not move to Colorado if you want to be a surfer.