Safety wire.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to safety wire my my oil sump bolt, oil filer cap, oil filter, and possibly dip stick.

Any ideas what the best anchor points would be? I've never done this before.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I think I'm just gonna get some of the bolts, around the areas i need after wired, drilled for wire. Shouldn't be the simplest, but will probably be the cleanest solution.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In the aviation side of things, they often tie bolts to bolts. Shorter easy access ties are best and obviously stay away from recessed fasteners.

Once you start looking you'll see the best options.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
For sure! I was really hoping to not have to mess with drilling bolts, but I'm starting to think I'm just going to have to suck it up and figure out how to drill them.

Alternatively, I could just ride slower at the track lol.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All the allen key bolts are easily drilled thru the side using a drill press. 1/8" is Plenty large enough.

I did my oil filler cap (drilled the cap as well). Tighten the cap and route the wire preferably in the position to keep it tight
(across the top of the part safety wired) to help keep it taught..

Oil drain plug, probably straight thru as it'd be easier to route the wire thru..

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Of the 7 or so FZ6's I've worked on in the local area I've found the top shock bolt loose or stripped on three of them.

IIRC you have aftermarket damper, but it's the only fastener I've ever seen loose.

Honestly all cases were induced by someone, not the bikes fault or an OEM defect.

While drilling, I'd honestly wire the caliper bolts too. A lot of things could go wrong. Those however are instantly life threatening!

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
https://imgur.com/a/fHSlx

Here's some photos of what I ended up going with. Didn't really drill much of anything to be honest.

Hopefully I did it right, just gotta cross my fingers.

My shock is hopefully okay, I didn't check, but it's oem so I'd imagine it's still torqued properly.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good!

However, I would swap out your filter clamp from the worm drive one shown to a SS cinch clamp. These are used on mufflers and are a little like the OEM exhaust clamps. The reason is this: vibes and tension of any kind tend to snap those types of clamps. Never in the circumference of the clamp, but the tail hanging in the breeze.

Click for picture...

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
On the fz6, you don't need the wire for the oil filter, you can just wedge the screw part of the hose clamp up against the engine at about the 2:00 position if you're looking at the filter. Tighten the screw, and the filter can't unspin because the screw is against the engine. I'll post a pic later, I have to change my oil anyways

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
On the fz6, you don't need the wire for the oil filter, you can just wedge the screw part of the hose clamp up against the engine at about the 2:00 position if you're looking at the filter. Tighten the screw, and the filter can't unspin because the screw is against the engine. I'll post a pic later, I have to change my oil anyways

I actually noticed that and that's how I set my clamp. However, I'm not doing this for me, it's a track day requirement so I'm just gonna wire it anyways for the tech inspection guys.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
https://imgur.com/a/fHSlx

Here's some photos of what I ended up going with. Didn't really drill much of anything to be honest.

Hopefully I did it right, just gotta cross my fingers.

My shock is hopefully okay, I didn't check, but it's oem so I'd imagine it's still torqued properly.

I did the same with the filler cap and ran one twisted wire to an Allan bolt I drilled (same angle, to keep in taught).

Where does that lower wire go to and why?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a imgur album, there's a bunch of photos on there. He oil filer cap is wired to the bracket by the clutch cable.

I saw the one cable going upward (towards the clutch cable) and saw the same oil filler cap with a second cable going across the bottom.
Where does the wire, running BELOW THE CAP handle go?

Last edited: