Rider down & Lucky to be here --> My road to recovery

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
So.....I was involved in a motorbike accident 8 weeks ago on 13th june. It occurred on Jambaroo Mountain Road at about 8.30 am. As I approached a vehicle from behind, it began to slow down and come to a stop on the left side of the road, without any warning or indication, the car made a sharp right turn across the road. I collided with the drivers side rear door and my body impacted the roof of the car before rolling across the roof and onto the ground on the other side. I was wearing all my gear, a-stars leathers, boots, gloves, back protector. The crash investigation officer estimated my speed to be 65km/hr which i agree with.

The impact smashed my left leg above and inside the knee joint, broken left wrist 2 places, hand in 2 places, knuckle joint on one finger, left shoulder also broken in a few places and 4 broken ribs on my left side. Unfortunately the broken ribs punctured my left lung and caused it to collapse.
The paramedics took 3 hours to stabilize me on the side of the road. They put me in an induced coma and air lifted me to Liverpool hospital in a serious condition. They put me straight in the ICU and on the saturday they took me off the breathing machine and eventually took the breathing tubes out.

I tell you what, waking up in hospital with breathing tubes down your throat, in immense pain and unable to open your eyes or talk and wearing a neck brace was the scariest most horrible experience. It was like a bad dream that I couldn't wake up from. I communicated at first by writing on a piece of paper with my good hand. Once the tubes came out, which was an experience on its own it was soooo much better.

I had to wait until Monday to have surgury. The surgury went better than expected. They pinned and plated the f*^k out of my smashed up leg and put wires in my left wrist. Unfortunately there was nothing they could do with my broken shoulder, hand and ribs. Just had to grim and bare the pain.

On the Wednesday they moved me out of ICU to the orthepedic ward. And on Thursday they removed my chest drain and most of the other wires and tubes. The following Monday they found that my right wrist was also broken so I went in for further surgery on Tuesday to have a screw put in it. So that was now 3 limbs out of action.

I was moved to a rehabilitation hospital closer to home a few weeks ago. This is where i lay as i'm writing this. Getting a lot of physio time here. I'm doing around 4 hours per day of physio during the week. Everything has been progressing along nicely apart from my left knee. Up until last wednesday I had only been able to bend my knee to 55 deg from horizontal. It just locks up, the joint is very stiff, still swollen and very painful.

So while i was having surgery last wednesday to remove the wires from my left wrist, the surgeon forcefully manipulated my knee joint to try and get some range of movement back. Its pretty brutal what they do...i woke up in excruciating pain in recovery . It did how ever work, i'm bending to 102 deg. The key now is to keep it bending, push more and more in physio before the torn scar tissue heals again. Very painful stuff but i really have no choice. I'm so motivated to get better and be able to ride a bike again.

Any way that's where i'm at. I have to wait another 2 weeks untill i can take weight through my wrists. Ive only just started putting partial weight through my left leg this week. So crutches in 2 weeks and hopefully they will send me home soon after that.

Every doctor and nurse i've spoken to has told me i'm very, very lucky to be here. People who sustain as many broken bones as i did generally have some sort of spinal and or head injuries. I'm lucky to have not had either. Its been hard....really had emotionally and of course physically. Even after 8 weeks i still cant really do much. I can stand on one foot and hop. But considering for the first 2 weeks i couldn't even move i guess i have come a long way. But still a long way to go.

So the FZ6 cup bike will be sitting in the shed gathering dust for a while. I will take the opportunity while im not able to ride to strip it down, do the valve adjustment, install the cams and other supporting mods. Hopefully my next thread will be an R6 Cammed FZ6 on the dyno.

w8rIZ1L.jpg

KnJ4hT5.jpg

lq7D1uP.jpg

mc6ZASE.jpg

NXGepOv.jpg

ubaGxOO.jpg

7yt5we0.jpg

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very lucky, indeed, to be here! Sounds like you are on the pipeline to recovery, I wish you a speedy and healthy comeback:thumbup: Thank you for sharing with us.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Jeez, can't get much worse than that and survive.

Good luck geting thru the airport scanners too! :rolleyes:

Heal up and good luck.

BTW, I suspect as broke as you are, you may be parting out your bike..:(

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bloody hell! I am really sorry to hear the sh1te you have been going through but very glad you're able to tell your own story.
Here's to a speedy recovery

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn.. really glad you're still with us. Hope you make a full recovery and can start enjoying things you normally like to do, sooner than later!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These stories scare me. So glad you will recover, and are wanting to get back on the bike. :eek:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. All I can say is that I hope you heel quickly and fully.

Good luck!

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about the accident. Get well soon.
And good to hear that you still think of new modifications to your bike like a R6 cam mod.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As I approached a vehicle from behind, it began to slow down and come to a stop on the left side of the road, without any warning or indication, the car made a sharp right turn across the road.

I hope they toss the book at the wanker who caused this!
And more importantly, you get back to 100%. So happy your "angels" were with you. :hug:

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Heal up but don't rush things and listen to your body and not your head/heart. It's great you're anxious to ride again but you want to be in good form when you do. Take care....

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I can't imagine the pain you've been going through.. It's great to read that your spirit is up and you're on the way to recovery! I wish you all the best!
Looked up your track bike.. Sweet bike!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I will take the opportunity while im not able to ride to strip it down, do the valve adjustment, install the cams and other supporting mods. Hopefully my next thread will be an R6 Cammed FZ6 on the dyno.

Thanks for the report, I like your positive train of thought. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was wondering what happened to you there - disappeared! I hope the worst of this situation is behind you and everything going foward is positive progress!

Thanks for sharing and hang in there!

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
Wishing you a speedy recovery, thanks for sharing and can't wait to see your cammed fz6, unless I missed it, I assume that driver was at fault 100%, and you don't have to shell out any money for any of this. Glad you're here with us.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Jesus, thanks for sharing but it's really not the kind of thread I like to read and see. Get well soon and this forum can be used as a great mental physical therapy so don't be shy! Amazing how these doctors can patch you up like it's another day in the office for them. 3 hours on the side of the road to stabilize you, I've never heard of that length.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Jesus, thanks for sharing but it's really not the kind of thread I like to read and see. Get well soon and this forum can be used as a great mental physical therapy so don't be shy! Amazing how these doctors can patch you up like it's another day in the office for them. 3 hours on the side of the road to stabilize you, I've never heard of that length.
I imagine it's safe to say other driver, even when you were behind, never noticed you and, afterwards, didn't look both ways. Did you come up upon him abruptly or had you been behind for a while? Wow. Thanks for the story!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Wishing you a speedy recovery, take your time and let yourself heal. Had heart surgery a year and a half ago and it was bad enough being on a breathing machine for a few hours after I started waking up. Know it was tough going thru that for you. Fantastic you didn't have a head or spinal injury.

Keep us posted on you and your bike's recover. Always wanted to put R6 cams in my FZ6 so am waiting to hear.