Replace Chain & Sprocket myself or pros?

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't look TERRIBLY difficult, however, I was possibly going to be buying some Dunlop Q2's and I called a local shop. They told me it would be $85 for installation with balancing.

The Chain & Sprocket set they were going to sell me would be $255 (not sure brand off hand) and just an additional half hour of labor so it would be an extra $43 for them to install it with my tires. Should I just save myself the headache and let them do it for the $43?

I might just find my own chain and sprocket set and have them install it but not sure on brands or anything. I would like to keep OEM equivelant, not high performance or anything, not yet anyway :)

TIA!

EDIT: A friend told me I should invest in something like the Speedohealer ASAP whenever you change the chain/sprockets anyway because it will be slightly higher off % than it was previously, should I?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Chain and sprockets can be had for less than $255, shop around. The only even remotely tricky part to installing a chain is installing the rivet type master link. You will need a special tool which can be a little pricy.

How much are you paying for those tires? You should be able to find them for $200 or less shipped to your door, but no more than $230. Mount and balance with wheels off the bike ranges from $40 to $80+.

If you're into working on your bike and willing to do a little research to make sure you install the chain correctly, and think you may find yourself needing to install another chain some day, then buy the tool and do it yourself.

Frankly, I trust myself to install and adjust the chain correctly, and keep my eyes open while doing it, than I trust the tech at a big moto shop.

SPeedohealer....are you planning on changing the final drive gearing? If you're going to go with lower gearing then you probably want a speedohealer, otherwise you don't really need one.

Last edited:

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice on the SpeedoHealer. If you are using OEM equivalent and not changing to a different sprocket, my understanding is like the above post -- shouldn't need it.

I also like doing my own maintenance because I know if I did things correctly -- but just make sure you're confident enough to research and attempt it!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Go down and buy your chain and sprocket from Cycle Gear using your 15% discount with your Class Completion Card Certificate you received when you passed your BRC.

Then take the part over to Racer's Edge and have them install it along with your new tires. That's assuming you don't want to do it yourself. You can wait while they do it, takes less than one hour.

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually contacted them already they came out to be a bit more than the shop I called which was recommended by Gregg @ Cycle Gear

How much are you paying for those tires? You should be able to find them for $200 or less shipped to your door, but no more than $230. Mount and balance with wheels off the bike ranges from $40 to $80+.

I can't find them less than $200 the cheapest I have seen is DIRECTLY from Dunlop for $233 including shipping.

EDIT: Not direct from Dunlop my bad lol http://stores.dunlopq2.com/-strse-15/Dunlop-Q2-Combo-Set/Detail.bok

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do it yourself. It's not that hard. I've helped Mike do it and learnt a lot from him.

+1 on the speedohealer if you're changing the size of your sprocket

:)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll let you know what I pay in a month. I'm planning to get new skins and have them change out the chain and sprocket, which I already have at the sametime.

Remember, take it easy on the first 50 miles or so on the new tires, they tend to be slick!

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
Any recommended chain and sprocket kit I can buy directly? I was planning on ordering everything from bikebandit and they don't have a chain and sprocket kit for this bike? I believe stock is 16/46 and when I add it to cart it gives me the option for a 520 conversion, not sure exactly what that means, I just want to keep it stock for now. I don't want/need any faster launch times :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just go down to Cycle Gear and get a 530 chain. You're going to get 15% off for your chain that cost about a $140. Get a Steel sprocket, don't get aluminum. Assuming you use your MSF Class completion card discount.

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
Even with the discount everything is cheaper from major online distributors. I like the guy over at Cycle Gear a lot but everything I have in my cart right now is about 35-40% cheaper than their prices. Sorry ;)

S

Shamus McFeeley

Suck it up, and spend the money on a supersprox. Aluminum is ok if you are picky to the point of obsession about your chain slack. I had a vortex aluminum rear sprocket that was ok, but not super impressive.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sold on a steel/aluminium mix. Can't be as strong as an all steel sprocket.

I wouldn't trust anything like that in 2 parts.

IMO

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
Their lifetime guarantee is kind of a joke. It covers the rear sprocket only and only if you order the chain with it. The chains are overpriced and can be had elsewhere for much less. The sprockets are pretty decently priced though.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I had supersprox sprockets on my FZ and had no problems with them. Only the rear is the Al/Steel mix, the front is just steel. I never had any worries about it separating or anything like that. I did not get my new chain from them, I bought one at the local Suzuki shop since I was going on a trip that weekend and didn't want to wait until afterwards to install it.

S

Shamus McFeeley

Their lifetime guarantee is kind of a joke. It covers the rear sprocket only and only if you order the chain with it. The chains are overpriced and can be had elsewhere for much less. The sprockets are pretty decently priced though.

You cant expect them to warranty a new sprocket set with some worn out old chain. That's what people would probably do if they didn't specify it in their warranty, use some nasty old rusted chain and then complain when the sprockets wear out prematurely.

Honestly, their prices are not any more than what I paid motorcycle superstore for.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to buy a SuproSprox earlier this year and could not find one anywhere! ALL the vendors I contacted on the web would say maybe 4 weeks maybe more. In my opinion they are vapor! Only advantage I could justify was they looked nice. For a performance increase go with aluminum rear sprocket and a 520 conversion.

In case you can't tell I'm not happy about SuperSprox.

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
I understand about the chain. I am just saying they are forcing you to buy THEIR chain when you can get the chains they are selling elsewhere for $50 or so cheaper.

Also, I am NOT looking for a performance increase. This bike is powerful enough as it stands. I could do with a decrease in power honestly :D the slightest turn on the throttle sends the thing ZOOMING.

I just want OEM-replacement quality preferrably in STEEL and whatever a decently recommended chain is. I don't need fancy this or fancy that. When I get into racing or something YEARS down the road that will be another topic for now, PLEASE...

I just NEED STOCK/OEM REPLACEMENT QUALITY!

Thank you.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
They are not.forcing you to buy their chain they do.that because in order to get the max life out of a chain a sprocket they all need to be replaced at the same time, and yes things are cheeper online but then add another 15-30 shipping, and if you just want something oem, then just buy the oem stock replacement and be done with it, also a 520 chain conversion isnt going to make any noticeable difference to you, it just has less rotating mass wich is better for all around performance. And it doesnt matter what chain or sprockets you go with, they will only last as long as you maintain them, just like everything else. As far as price goes dont skimp out and buy a el.cheepo setup buy a good quality setup 520 or 530 it dont matter. If your worried about a $30 price difference this early on in you and your bikes relationship....then its not gonna last. You got to treat your bike like a stuck up b!tch and tend to her every waking need lol

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
I buy mine here:
FZ-6 04-09 Sprocket Center

Having used a Superlite sprocket on my SV, I would not recommend it. They wear out way too fast. Getting standard steel is fine for street, but if you really want to shave weight, the AFAM lightweights are well worth the extra dough.

The RK 530 kit there @ $172 is a pretty decent deal. They have a chain tool for $45 that will pay for itself the first time you use it. Just remember to completely grind the rivets off of the old link first and don't just try to press them right out.

Last edited:

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
Please don't misunderstand, from my other threads you should see I like to spend $$$. I AM a beginning rider and I don't want anything that is going to make this go faster or launch me any faster which is why I wanted a stock setup, savvy?

If there are aftermarket ones with the same spec then I am all ears :)

I just don't think $325 for a chain & sprocket setup is kind of excessive for what I need. I am not ignorant and take everyone's advise but please understand when you were a new rider :)