Replace Chain & Sprocket myself or pros?

I just don't think $325 for a chain & sprocket setup is kind of excessive for what I need. I am not ignorant and take everyone's advise but please understand when you were a new rider :)

A high end quality chain and sprocket at Cycle Gear should cost less than $200, probably closer to $150-$175. RX Chain 530 and Sun Steel Sprocket should last you 25,000 miles.

Please don't misunderstand, from my other threads you should see I like to spend $$$. I AM a beginning rider and I don't want anything that is going to make this go faster or launch me any faster which is why I wanted a stock setup, savvy?

If there are aftermarket ones with the same spec then I am all ears :)

I just don't think $325 for a chain & sprocket setup is kind of excessive for what I need. I am not ignorant and take everyone's advise but please understand when you were a new rider :)

Nothing about an aftermarket chain and/or sprockets will inherently make you faster, but there are choices in that product field that offer that - lighter sprockets and chains, which is what folks are trying to steer you away from. There's no reason to throw away money when you can get the same quality for less.

I'll break it down and make it simple for the two things you need to know when ordering:

Your chain is a 530 size - you will see things called "520 conversions", which are lighter. You do not want this, both because it is (usually) a bit more expensive, and it reduces the effective life of the components as a tradeoff for weight. 530 chain is the stock size and best for all-around use.

Your sprockets are 16T front and 46T rear - order standard steel sprockets in this size. You do not need to change size or material unless you want to alter the top speed and acceleration characteristics of your bike.

This link has such a kit with RK brand parts, and is all you need to replace, not upgrade, your drivetrain components.

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/651037/rk-530xso-chain-steel-sprocket-kit---yamaha-6001000.html

Last edited:
Nothing about an aftermarket chain and/or sprockets will inherently make you faster, but there are choices in that product field that offer that - lighter sprockets and chains, which is what folks are trying to steer you away from. There's no reason to throw away money when you can get the same quality for less.

I'll break it down and make it simple for the two things you need to know when ordering:

Your chain is a 530 size - you will see things called "520 conversions", which are lighter. You do not want this, both because it is (usually) a bit more expensive, and it reduces the effective life of the components as a tradeoff for weight. 530 chain is the stock size and best for all-around use.

Your sprockets are 15T front and 46T rear - order standard steel sprockets in this size. You do not need to change size or material unless you want to alter the top speed and acceleration characteristics of your bike.

This link has such a kit with RK brand parts, and is all you need to replace, not upgrade, your drivetrain components.

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/651037/rk-530xso-chain-steel-sprocket-kit---yamaha-6001000.html

Im pretty sure its a 16t stock for the front

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

No harm no fowl...although i would pay to have sceen someones face first time gettin on it in 1st gear after doing that unknowingly lol

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

Back