rear end feels squirrely or too light?

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
My tires are definitely new and meaty so that's not my issue...

Anyways, one quick question on the spring pre-loads. So it's better for me to go from 3 (stock) to 4 for my weight most likely?

It also does not mention if I have to have the bike up on the centerstand, or on the ground to adjust the nitrogen shock. Any input?

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
You can adjust the shock a little more than that probably. I weigh about 78kg and have mine on 6 as I like it firm for some sport riding. What kind of riding do you do most of the time? Are you loaded up often? Play around with a few settings and see what works best for you. And you should be able to do it on the side stand, but no harm in sticking it up on the centre stand (if you have it).

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the time I'm slabbing it on the highway to work. I have never been really agressive on the street, one of these days I'll go to a track day, but that would sum it up for me being the easy tourer. If it's hot outside I've tried to get into the curves hard, but that's not happening until at least next season.

I'm always riding solo with no gear or bags. At most it's a backback with a few extras like a liner for the jacket or something. I don't gear up heavy, just the regular jacket boots, pants, gloves and helmet. I might just go ahead and crank up the suspension preload then. I know my previous CBR F4 was suspension tuned with Penske shocks for the track, it was a VERY aggressive setup and I thought it handled great.

Oh... so adjust the shock on the center stand, or on the ground? Thanks!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the time I'm slabbing it on the highway to work. I have never been really agressive on the street, one of these days I'll go to a track day, but that would sum it up for me being the easy tourer. If it's hot outside I've tried to get into the curves hard, but that's not happening until at least next season.

I'm always riding solo with no gear or bags. At most it's a backback with a few extras like a liner for the jacket or something. I don't gear up heavy, just the regular jacket boots, pants, gloves and helmet. I might just go ahead and crank up the suspension preload then. I know my previous CBR F4 was suspension tuned with Penske shocks for the track, it was a VERY aggressive setup and I thought it handled great.

Oh... so adjust the shock on the center stand, or on the ground? Thanks!

I say you should set it to 4. Leave the bike on sidestand.. no need to put it on center stand for this adjustment. If the collar does not want to move, you may need to lubricate it. I had to do this with mine.. I used a paintbrush to apply synthetic grease to it and now it turns effortlessly.
One more tip: Once you engage the adjustment tool into the collar (you will need to push the lever toward the front of the bike to go to stiffer setting) hold the tool with your right hand and squeeze the front brake with your left hand. This prevents the bike from moving while making the adjustment.

galland1

Reaction score
Visit site
One more thing. Assuming you have the OEM tool kit and you're ready to adjust preload, REMOVE THE KEY from the seat lock before you do the adjustment.
It is very easy to bend the key if you leave it in, without even realizing.

Bent the crap out of one of my keys this way.

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
Tire pressures are all good now, still noticed that little feeling... I'm wondering if it's just the steering range on the fz6 is more so it feels a little out of position?

For the life of me I couldn't see what setting the shock was on.. just re-read the pdf at work, when I go home tonight I'll take another look.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the life of me I couldn't see what setting the shock was on.. just re-read the pdf at work, when I go home tonight I'll take another look.

It'd definitely hard to see the number on the collar. If you have a utility light, it'll help. Alternatively, you can simply twist it to the lightest setting (engage adjustment tool and pull handle toward the back of the bike). That puts you in "1". Now give it 3 clicks in the opposite direction to get to "4".

mponder

Reaction score
Visit site
:don'tknow:I could be wierd but I also had handling issues and found it to be a balance issue. When i set the shock up at a higher pre load for my weight, it forced more weight on to the fork and the bike would not handle weird. I lowered pre load and it helped alot but race tech springs leveled out my bike and it now handles great.

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so this was the trick.. just above the plastic fairing on the left side of the bike I could sneak that tool into the spot. I clicked it to 4 (I noticed my shock said it could go to 7! I thought 6 was max). I took a spin and didn't notice much difference. Will have to wait until I get a chance for a longer spin.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so this was the trick.. just above the plastic fairing on the left side of the bike I could sneak that tool into the spot. I clicked it to 4 (I noticed my shock said it could go to 7! I thought 6 was max). I took a spin and didn't notice much difference. Will have to wait until I get a chance for a longer spin.

Blah.. I was hoping this would help. What I think I would try to do is to find another forum member with FZ6 near you. Swap bikes and go for a short ride together. Just to rule out any actual issues with yours.

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I did only click it one setting higher and only went for a few of those small turns, temp was also warmer by the time I got home. It's not a dealbreaker, only on those slow stop and turns.. if I felt this way at any other speed I probably wouldn't ride it at all!! :) maybe that really is the difference at slow speeds. If anything I now know the trick to setting the preload, so I could give it a few clicks more and see if it changes.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I would also guess that 4 will give you the appropriate amount of preload/sag.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are experiencing. I just don't get what you're saying.

My bike feel planted and rock solid at all speeds.

I too recommend you find someone to swap with. good luck :thumbup:

jones_s2

Reaction score
Visit site
<Sorry, just realised that I'm repeating others here>

Hi, what preload setting it your rear shock unit at?

I recently tried changing mine on my 2008 S2 from the default 3 one click up to 4. After doing this I found a strange sensation in the back end when going over low speed bumps or ripples while cornering or negotiating junctions/roundabouts. It felt like the back wheel was trying to follow a different path to the front and didn't inspire confidence.

I reset the preload back to 3 and feel that the bike is back to normal. I can't explain why altering the preload by one increment should have such a noticeable (and negative) effect but think maybe it's because the shock isn't great quality and can't control the stiffer setup so well.

I notice others are recommending number 4 so I'm confused as to why I didn't like it. FYI I weight about 80kg.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
<Sorry, just realised that I'm repeating others here>

Hi, what preload setting it your rear shock unit at?

I recently tried changing mine on my 2008 S2 from the default 3 one click up to 4. After doing this I found a strange sensation in the back end when going over low speed bumps or ripples while cornering or negotiating junctions/roundabouts. It felt like the back wheel was trying to follow a different path to the front and didn't inspire confidence.

I reset the preload back to 3 and feel that the bike is back to normal. I can't explain why altering the preload by one increment should have such a noticeable (and negative) effect but think maybe it's because the shock isn't great quality and can't control the stiffer setup so well.

I notice others are recommending number 4 so I'm confused as to why I didn't like it. FYI I weight about 80kg.

At 80kg, 3 should be the right setting for you, but 4 shouldn't be overly firm. It really should not affect the handling THAT much.

The theory behind suspension setup is this:
As you ride over bumps, the wheel needs to be able to move both up AND down. If there is not enough sag (too much preload), you are limiting how much the wheel can move down. As a result, tire will momentarily lose contact with the ground. Hardly noticeable in straight line, but it can definitely change wheel path when leaned over.. or worse.

So, if 3 gives you feeling of best control, it's likely putting sag in perfect stop for you.

What about technique? Do you start rolling on the throttle once the bike is leaned over or do you engine-brake through part of the turn?

jones_s2

Reaction score
Visit site
At 80kg, 3 should be the right setting for you, but 4 shouldn't be overly firm. It really should not affect the handling THAT much.

Thanks for your response.

I should explain it wasn't dangerously bad and in fact I kept it on 4 for several rides. As you say it shouldn't have much effect and indeed the rear didn't seem noticeably firmer or different, except for the sensation I described.

What about technique? Do you start rolling on the throttle once the bike is leaned over or do you engine-brake through part of the turn?

I always try to be on neutral throttle (i.e. not engine braking) going into the turn and accelerate steadily on the way out.

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
I clicked it up to 5 and it was a little better. I settled back onto 4. It's not completely gone, but definitely better feeling than 3 was.... I might just settle upon it. Have to find another local fz6 to try though :) I'm sure most people are putting their bikes away, I still was warm enough to go out on the weekend for a short trip.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 FZ6 and have observed this more than a few times. Honestly I don't think its the bike. I think It's me. When I ride I tend to use the rear brake more while in slower traffic and before tight turns. Also because I'm a fairly new rider and this bike is fairly new to me ( I got it less than a month ago. When down-shifting sometimes a co me off the clutch a little too fast while going on the brake for a turn and I feel the rear tire lose traction and go a lil squirrly.... just my 2 cents. This happened once in a wile with my radian and my FZ1. But..... it does happens more frequently on the FZ6. I still got a lot to learn

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
In my case I do not use the rear brake at all, nor use the clutch to downshift... for me it was going from almost a dead stop to a say.. 90 degree right turn at a stop sign or entrance/exit place. Keeping in mind I did not hit the throttle hard to kick it out, it did feel like the rear tire was going in another direction. As stated above, the increase in my suspension setting seemed to help.