Really didn't want to ever make this thread...

brian-oki

Reaction score
Visit site
I lowsided into a guardrail about 50 mph. I had cracked plastic, and busted rims, plus minor other things and they totalled my bike. I say this because I want you to think, do you really want to rebuild if its close to being gone, and questionable engine problems. It may be better to take the loss, and get another bike.

I have friends that have rebuilt their totalled bikes, and they say never again.

But I am glad your going to be ok, but sore.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to make that decision once I get the bike assessed. I hope to get it back up and running, otherwise it will be a different kind of bike that is used or a new FZ. Not sure I want to buy a brand new bike though.

I only say a different used bike because I haven't seen any other used FZs available around here. I guess now that I'm more used to riding, I could expand my search a bit.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I also realized what caused the loss of traction...a combination of a little too much throttle and this pedestrian crosswalk that is made of a smooth red brick to look "pretty". I think once the rear tire hit that, it was all over.

Damn! Highsiding on the throttle with lean over a pedestrian cross walk! that's some extreme shiat!

Who puts a cross walk in the middle of a corner? Where were you? Google maps?

Glad you didn't get hurt worse or take out any pedestrians.

I only say a different used bike because I haven't seen any other used FZs available around here. I guess now that I'm more used to riding, I could expand my search a bit.

Your 2 months of riding experience + crash should be telling you to get a GS500 :thumbup:

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn! Highsiding on the throttle with lean over a pedestrian cross walk! that's some extreme shiat!
Who puts a cross walk in the middle of a corner? Where were you? Google maps?
Glad you didn't get hurt worse or take out any pedestrians.

Your 2 months of riding experience + crash should be telling you to get a GS500 :thumbup:

I hope my sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.

1107 Independence Blvd Virginia beach, VA If you zoom in right next to that triangle shaped island for pedestrians, you can even get a nice street level view and see exactly where I was.

I would've stopped before going through if there were people walking there...I wasn't really going all that fast. Just figure cornering = less available traction from the get go..

By expanding my search, I meant areas I would look in on Craigs list..not as in go for some GSXR 1000. With this bike, I was looking for ones that were close enough so I wouldn't have to ride on the highway to get home. Fortunately, the owner rode the bike over here, so I didn't even have to leave my neighborhood with it until I was comfortable enough to get out in some traffic.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
So Brian, how is the leg feeling? Are you healing up OK, or did the medics suggest some exrays/tests for you?

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So Brian, how is the leg feeling? Are you healing up OK, or did the medics suggest some exrays/tests for you?

Ehh it's doing alright. Still a bit swollen and sore. Figure it will be like that for a little bit.

The medic asked me if I thought I needed medical assistance and I told him not really I think I'm just a big scuffed up right now. Also told him that people had said I should see a doctor either way just in case, and he basically asked me the same question.. "do you think you need to see a doctor?" So not as much help as he could've been but I think I'll be just fine.

I took some pics of the bike today but I haven't uploaded them yet and it's about time to hit the rack..so I'll try to get some up tomorrow before I am gone for a little bit.

Filed a claim today but was unable to speak with the local person that would be doing the assessment. I was in a conference all day today until about 7pm. Left the guy a message and hope to catch him on my lunch break tomorrow. Probably won't be able to look at the bike until I come back though. :(

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, we will cross our fingers for the insurance, and for your leg.
BTW, my husband loves your signature!!

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
Along with everyone else, I'm glad for the most part you are ok. I'm really sorry to hear about your bike. I hope the Insurance works out in your favor and can get it fixed.

Hope your injuries get well fast, your bikes get fixed or replace, and you get back to riding soon.

Thanks for posting even though, like you said, really didn't want too.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're not up for analyzing the crash because you're just too beat up or whatever, that's cool, just ignore my questions.

Went down today. Was going around a corner I've been around a lot of times..was leaned over pretty far, either hit some gravel or oil (probably no gravel there..) or just gave it a bit too much throttle.

Man, you made it sound like you were railing. It seems now, based on the additional information you posted and the street view, that you were probably just tooling through at normal speeds....?

How fast and how much lean are we talking about?

Thanks everyone. I'm trying not to get mad at myself and the whole situation, but I just have to keep reminding myself that at least I was able to stand up on my own and walk away from it..

Just learn from it. :thumbup:

I hope my sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.

1107 Independence Blvd Virginia beach, VA If you zoom in right next to that triangle shaped island for pedestrians, you can even get a nice street level view and see exactly where I was.

I would've stopped before going through if there were people walking there...I wasn't really going all that fast. Just figure cornering = less available traction from the get go..

By expanding my search, I meant areas I would look in on Craigs list..not as in go for some GSXR 1000. With this bike, I was looking for ones that were close enough so I wouldn't have to ride on the highway to get home. Fortunately, the owner rode the bike over here, so I didn't even have to leave my neighborhood with it until I was comfortable enough to get out in some traffic.

When I read your posts, I pictured something different than what you're describing in your latter posts.

Is THIS the spot?

Do you have any friends that can help you out with getting back on a motorcycle when you're ready, FZ6 or otherwise?

How are you going to avoid an incident like this in the future?

Last edited:

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're not up for analyzing the crash because you're just too beat up or whatever, that's cool, just ignore my questions.

Man, you made it sound like you were railing. It seems now, based on the additional information you posted and the street view, that you were probably just tooling through at normal speeds....?

How fast and how much lean are we talking about?

Just learn from it. :thumbup:

When I read your posts, I pictured something different than what you're describing in your latter posts.

Is THIS the spot?

Do you have any friends that can help you out with getting back on a motorcycle when you're ready, FZ6 or otherwise?

How are you going to avoid an incident like this in the future?

Nah, what I meant was too much throttle for how far over I was leaning and the surface that was under my rear. I wasn't flying through at some crazy speed. That is the exact spot, turning right onto Independence. Wasn't really looking at my speedometer, I'm pretty much always looking through the corner as I am turning.

It happened pretty quickly, but I assumed it was a high side because I was leaning over to the right, next thing I knew I was up and the bike was out of my control and then the fact that I took the brunt of the impact on my left side.

Help as in personal support? I'm ready to go once my limbs are all healed up..I have some friends, particularly the guy that pulled over to help me out that I plan on riding with as soon as I'm back on the road. I am planning to take all of those guys that helped me out for a nice dinner to repay them for the time and effort they took to help me out. Still not sure what I'll do bike wise if this one is done for. I had looked at those GS500s...haven't seen many on sale here besides new. Did see one or two used though. Think the 100cc difference really makes that much of a difference?

As far as "just learn from it" and what will I do differently..I think my problem was that I was riding for a bit and only had a couple of situations that required any quick action and none of them were too extreme. So I got more confident and maybe more relaxed in my riding before I really should have.

Gotta take my time some more..especially around corners I guess. I'm sure I'll be a bit more of a Grandma on whatever bike it is that I am riding next. At least for some amount of time.

It's easy to feel like you have progressed further than you may really have unless you have been in situations that really test your riding abilities..or as your quote says, you know and ride within your limits so you don't have to worry as much about certain situations...though you can never be fully prepared for everything.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, they are towing the bike out of here tomorrow morning to decide how much it will cost to fix vs. how much it is worth. Unfortunately, due to my job, I will be outside of CONUS during the period they would be getting back to me...so I gave them my military email so I could be kept up to date. My hope is that the engine is fine and is in some sort of shut down mode thanks to the lean angle it experienced. I'd have thought that would've shut down the engine faster than it did though. Either way, I will find out what is going to happen soon enough. I'm still not even sure what my plan is for the possibility that the engine is done and the bike isn't worth fixing...

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear that you are doing alright after such a scare. My advice is to go get that leg looked at by a physician and at least get an X-ray or two. I'm a doctor btw. The problem immediately after an accident is that the adrenaline masks many of your injuries, which is why so many people pop up onto their feet right after the accident, even if they have a broken ankle. Play is safe and get it checked out.

I don't think DefyIntertia was trying to be negative here. The GS500 is a great learned bike and is frankly much more forgiving than the FZ can be, not to mention there are a ton of used ones out there to pick up cheap that won't break the bank if they get dinged up. Many of the members here started on a GS500 and then upgraded to the FZ after 6-12 months of solid riding. Given the likelihood that your FZ could be totalled, this is still a very viable option for you.

Heal quickly bro.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I know everyone is saying to get with a Doc to find out if your ok. Military Medics like sheild their docs from every one who has a complaint. I know when I had my accident I wanted to know everything was ok rather than just guess and hope for the best. The real issue is if there was something serious that was masked or missed becomes a problem later on.

Good luck with everything. Kudos for gearing up too.