Question for mod lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you've added several mods including fairings, clamp on style handlebars and various others.

Why didn't you just get an R6?

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
People mod R6's, too!:D I do understand your point, though(If the mods are making it just like the R6 - personally, I find it uncomfy).

Last edited:

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site

That's a pretty stupid question dude. Just like the FZ6 is the lesser bike? :confused: That's like asking somebody who bought a helicopter why he didn't buy a plane. Perhaps that somebody has different needs???

I bought the FZ6 because she's more comfortable to ride, better suited for my height (6'3), a better street bike (the R6 is a track bike, end of story), and just more appealing to me.

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a pretty stupid question dude. Just like the FZ6 is the lesser bike? :confused: That's like asking somebody who bought a helicopter why he didn't buy a plane. Perhaps that somebody has different needs???

I bought the FZ6 because she's more comfortable to ride, better suited for my height (6'3), a better street bike (the R6 is a track bike, end of story), and just more appealing to me.

It's NOT a stupid question. He just wants to know why people prefer one over the other. You know if isn't 6'3 he doesn't know the comfort issues that you guys do. Me I am 5'9 and either is comfortable.

I got my Fizzer because I couldnt afford the R6 at the time and now I am just happy having it. Plus there is almost no beating the Fizzer in the twisties!

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
No what he was saying is "the FZ6 is a piece of junk compared to the R6, and you need all those mods to make it better. Oh wait, but what you are doing by adding those mods, is basically turning it into a R6. So why didn't you buy a R6 in the first place then?"

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I disagree, not this is not a stupid question, ironically you hit the nail on the head with your statement of different needs. BranNwebster takes the perspective of people who mod the FZ6 for more performance vs. touring, appearance, chopper (hey it could happen), etc.

I've been asked that question many times, why not just get an R6? Valid. For me, like you, 1) the FZ fits me better, I'm only 6' however, 2) a full size seat for riding two up, 3) longer wheelbase for a more confortable ride, 4) better ergos.

The reason for my particular mods is the FZ6 is a "soft" bike, I wanted a bike with more of an edge. Hence my mods. I wanted a sport/touring bike, not a sport/touring bike, but like you I didn't want a track bike.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Why I got the FZ6 instead of the R6:

1. Too tall for the R6. ---> Very uncomfortable.
2. Insurance for the R6 was ridiculously expensive (yaaay Norway...)
3. The R6 in itself was too expensive (yaaay Norway again...)

If I had the money I would have bought an R1 or a GSX-R 1000.. :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No what he was saying is \"the FZ6 is a piece of junk compared to the R6, and you need all those mods to make it better. Oh wait, but what you are doing by adding those mods, is basically turning it into a R6. So why didn't you buy a R6 in the first place then?\"

I don't see "piece of junk" listed anywhere in the first post of this thread.

More coffee perhaps? It's all good. :thumbup:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
The Fazer was my first 'big' bike and I didn't want something that was way beyond my capability. Now that I have a bit more experience I can mod the Fazer to suit. The other reason is that with all the mods, it makes it my Fazer - not a 'normal' one any more.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have ridden sports bike's all my adult life...aint getting any younger, and find it hard to enjoy a ride on my sportsbike these days, as it tends to stir up old sports injury related arthritis.

I still like to ride hard from time to time, but i like to be able to walk after...

The FZ6 is a logical choice choice for me...stonking motor, and a sensible riding position for day to day riding, plus it actually caters for a pillion properly, pillions are not stuck out the back like they are in the crows nest!

Being a bike built to a budget, OEM suspension is low spec, so if you want to ride hard, you better be getting it upgraded. Same for the brakes...especially if you own an FZ6 with the "budget bin" two pot front brakes....ok, but a bit wooden at the lever, so at least chuck on some braided lines...normal fare for most bikes anyway.

I paid less than half the price of a new R6 for a nearly new FZ6 still under factory warranty. I have spent lots of money improving power, handling, stopping, etc, and i still have spent less than i would have if i bought a new R6.

Now i have a bike that's goes, stops, and corners just about as well as an R6, and i can ride it everyday without it being a pain in the neck...literally, i can take my son as pillion in comfort & safety, i can pile it high with gear, and go touring, and i can strip it bare, and go for a run up "Racer Road"!, and do it all with confidence....

Not trying to turn my bike into an R6, just "my" bike, which does everything i want properly!

The FZ6 is a very under rated bike....

:D

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"That's like asking somebody who bought a helicopter why he didn't buy a plane."

You cannot fly a plane on a helicopter licence. BUT you can ride a FZ6 and a R6 on a the same bike licence.

Don`t be a total dick, the FZ6 is a lesser bike than a R6. That does not mean we don`t like the FZ6 but we prefer to have one for whatever reason.

Steve

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
A valid question and one that has even been asked by a lot of us to other forum members IIRC....albeit somewhat odd as it's absically trying to compare an apple to an orange.

Well here are my reasons for getting and modding the FZ6.

1. Riding comfort/position!! Trust me, I LOVE the looks of an R6 or R1, but with my bad back and old neck injury, I just can't do those riding positions for any lenght of time.

2. Price - was cheaper than an R6, not by a whole lot, but enough when you are on a tight budget.

3. Insurance was a bit cheaper and a consideration.

4. Commuting/touring. I deceided on the FZ6 mainly for it's 'purpose'. It was designed as a comuter/touring bike and that's the type of riding I was planning on doing...not track days or racing. Although the FZ6 could/can do track days if I ever found myself wanting to do so.

5. Inexperience on my part. I'll be honest, I didn't know a lot about bikes and my FZ6 was my first ever bike purchase (got to start somewhere). Maybe it wasn't the best choice, but it fit my wallet and was pleasing to my eye.

So my heart wanted an R6/R1, but my body, inexperience and wallet needed the FZ6 and I found it to be a great 1st bike and have grown into it.

I didn't even know about modding or what was available or could be done to the FZ6 untill I found the SBN forum and started investigating and seeing what others were doing. I like to mod so that my FZ6 is original and noticable. It also allows me to get to know the "in's and outs" of my machine. I've always liked to tinker on my past vehicles and my FZ6 is no exception.

If I had the money, I would have both and R6/R1 AND an FZ6 sitting in my garage...and a VFR. :)

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
If you've added several mods including fairings, clamp on style handlebars and various others.

Answer: mabye the dealer was out of R6's that day so they bought the FZ6 with plans to mod it up to an R6 (salesperson's great idea)? Look, I dunno. Why do people mod R6's to resemble a FZ6? Answer: maybe the dealer was out of FZ6's that day so they bought an R6 with plans to mod it to a FZ6 (salesperson's great idea?).

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Some people (like me) just like the FZ6 style rather then the sporty R6. Plus a lot of the mods you see on the FZ6 are of guys & gals making theirs a naked FZ6 (which in my opinion is way more sexy then the R6). Plus the FZ6 has a better body build to make into a street fighter. So really its all about comfort and what your looking for in the bike...:thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Strictly ergos for me. I'm getting too old to be all "humped-up-like-a-monkey-on-a-football" R6 style, thus the FZ6 was the next best choice.

And it is NOT a stupid question. I have no CLUE where mastakilla pulled his interpretation from and frankly, I'm offended by his responses and he owes you an apology.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I wanted a bike I could ride a 500+ mile day on. My old K-75RT would do that.

It also had the handling and throttle response of the Queen Mary.

After making modifications to the FZ6, it can do a 500+ mile day, but it still handles and accelerates like a sportbike.

As to why I didn't get an R6? I never even considered it. The riding position is horrible, it's cramped, it doesn't have the luggage capacity of the FZ6, it doesn't have the low end power that you need for day to day riding, and the insurance would have been a nightmare.

None of the mods done by anyone here are done to turn their bike into an R6. It's an impossibility. The modifications we do are to take an FZ6 and make it fit our riding styles better.

If we'd wanted R6's, we'd have gotten R6's.

bsk8er48

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 17 and it costed me 3500 which included a helmet that fit me perfectly and few other accessories. Had some dent and scraps but with my car painting knowledge it will look good as new after winter.

I'm not a heavy modder but I did add CBR1100 clip on's. My friend got a 04 gsx600 and I can run circle's around him cause I'm a more experienced rider. I absolutely love the twisties, top speed in the straight's are fun but 2nd to cornering for me.

But at the end of the day I did want a r6 but my parent's would of kicked me out. So I plan to sell the fz6 (maybe) next year for a bit more then I paid cause I'm fixing the damage then jumping to a r1/r6. So far the fz6 itself has been great but for me just a step till my next bike.

Last edited:

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I love the semi naked look. In fact if I were to upgrade it would probably be an FZ1 or a Suzuki Bandit, I like the riding position of these and our FZ6. I was just curious, people spend a lot of money on fairings and the like.

Thank you all who gave me the benefit of the doubt.

And those who didn't, why so defensive?

I love my FZ and I have found that most sport bike riders give nothing but praise, no matter what kind of bike you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.