Pure one oil filter is bad?!?!

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

I don't mean to start another "which oil filter is best" thread, but I just want you all to know what I heard recently and then get your opinion on it.

So after reading a bunch of reviews on oil filters, I decided to go with the longer Pure One Oil Filter because lots of us on the forum use it and have been happy. I have used it for 2 oil changes so far and just recently came across some disturbing info.

But I was on scanning a different forum and I came across a thread that stated that Pure One oil filters can be bad for motorcycles. The thread actually had a link on it to the Pure One website that confirmed this. Unfortunately I don't have the thread anymore so I cannot locate what I found.

But the website said they could cause damage because they actually filter to well and do not let enough oil through for motorcycle engines. Pure One said they are made for cars and not motorcycles and that the differences in oil, oil pump, and engine design can cause problems when used in motorcycles.

So what do yall think of this. Do you think that this is just Pure One covering their own butts or is this a legit claim. As I said I have used them for 2 oil changes and am about to come up on another one. I haven't noticed any problems yet, but I don't know if there will be any long term problems. So those of you who use this filter, how long have you used it?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long post. I just wanted everyone to hear this info.

W

wrightme43

30,000 miles oil changed at extended drain intervals.

The whole they filter too well is kinda odd to me. Motorcycles need particulate matter pumped to the bearings to run??

If you leave a filter on untill it bypasses then of course your going to have a problem. Thats all that someone has done, then got a settlement from purolator and now they have to cover thier butts.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing bad about 'em is the color -- first I had to endure the slow blue color and now I've got one in baby poo yellow...ugh

I think wrightme hit it on the head. It's a cya move. If the filter were too restrictive someone on the forum would've found out the hard way by now.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The whole they filter too well is kinda odd to me. Motorcycles need particulate matter pumped to the bearings to run??

If you leave a filter on untill it bypasses then of course your going to have a problem.

Not that it filters too well, but it's designed for car oil pumps that operates at higher pressure. The bypass valve also requires higher pressure before opening. My interpretation of the risk is reduced oil flow during normal operation or possibly no oil flow were the filter to become clogged and the filter didn't open. How likely are either of these conditions? I dunno, probably not very likely based on others experience.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing bad about 'em is the color -- first I had to endure the slow blue color and now I've got one in baby poo yellow...ugh

30,000 miles on this filter, which means I've gone through ten.

About the new color yellow, I just spray painted mine in flat black a day before install. You couldn't tell it was ever yellow.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I dug up the link---it's on the Purolator website. Motorcycle Filters
Sure enogh, Purolator, itself, doesn't recommend the PureOne filter for motorcycles! This is news to me and I will discontinue using the PureOne filter on my FZ6. I mean, if the company has a line of exclusive motorcyle filters and also "highly recommends" that we use the "ML" filter over the PureOne----I'll take the company's advice! Thanks for bringing this to my attention Saxophone823.

Oblinox

Reaction score
Visit site
I bet purolator's warning is intended for motorcycles with roller bearing bottom ends.....As in Harleys. I believe the oil pressure present in that type of engine is low, on the order of 15 PSI. Volume would be high, but pushing oil through a restrictive filter with 15 or so PSI could be an issue.

W

wrightme43

From thier site.
"
You’re on the open road …

You’ve got on your armor and brain bucket ... you hammer down the big slab … hoping not to see any cherry tops that may hand you a coupon. It’s a perfect day — just you and your bike."

This makes me want to start using the mobil one filter more than any statement about being to efficent.

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
I've also got over 10k miles on the Purolator car filters without problem.

We live under the oppression of liability. Purolator is covering their butt. I'm sure the "motorcycle" filter also has a higher price tag. Read here and the author claims that the motorcycle version is not even made by Purolator. To all who are worried by the manufacturer's recommendations, do what makes you comfortable.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
You’ve got on your armor and brain bucket ... you hammer down the big slab … hoping not to see any cherry tops that may hand you a coupon.

LOL. Written by a young marketing twerp in some high-rise with a freshly-minted MBA who doesn't ride or know any motorcyclists, I'd guess.

With so many filters out there, crossing one off the list doesn't seem like a problem. Thanks for the info!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Purolator loses with me because if it warns motorcyclists "don't use our "PureOne" filter----I'm just not going to even use Purolator! And, if Purolator now is just branding some other manufacturer's "motorcycle" filters then I further am turned off by this company. Furthermore, the company's website doesn't even have a motorcycle application (model/make, etc.) page. Sounds like Purloator is just toying around with motorcyclists---doesn't treat them with respect. Here, Purolator----learning that some motorcycle owners are using its PureOne filters---instead of simply analyzing certain motorycle models' (like our FZ-6)oil filter requirements and determining if the PureOne filter IS applicable, just says "Think again" about using the PureOne filter on our bikes. "Think again"? I don't like it! When I see the "Purolator" name on a filter, I EXPECT that Purolator would be manufacturer! Evidently, no? See ya!

david223

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never used it and never will, and my logic is as follows. Over the life of your bike, you'll never come close to spending as much on oil filters as you did on that pretty exhaust system, those cool brake and clutch levers, that new seat, or whatever other expensive mods you have on.

So why save a few dollars to use an oil filter that the company itself tells you not to use? And one that is an ugly colour, and that you have to paint?

Like someone else said, there are enough other filters out there. Why take the risk?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, to Purolator's credit, I got a quick response to my email containing a link to the FZ-6 forum discussion on Purolator's Pure One filters for our bikes. Folowing is Purolator's response (evidently, Purolator--or it's parent Bosch?---DOES manufacture the ML line of motorcycle filters):

Thank you for your interest in our Purolator PureOne filtration products. After reviewing the link you have provided, I would like to take the time and explain why the PureOne filter's are NOT recommended for motorcycles. According to a couple of websites, the Purolator PureOne filter is the best filter for motorcycles, however, these filter are designed for only cars and have never been tested on motorcycles. In this scenario, these filters will have a warranty. I've read a few sites about this situation and have read the statement "not responsible for damage to your bike", this should make you leery of using one. One motorcycle mechanic summed it up by stating the PureOne filter is so restrictive that the oil pump on a bike may not be able to handle the pressure. We do have a line of motorcycle filter's at manufactured by Purolator that are the equivalent to the OE (original equipment). All I need is the year, make, model and engine (CC's) of your bike.

I hope this information helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Katrina S. Hull
-------------------------------------------------
Robert Bosch, LLC
Light Automotive Filtration Division
AA-FI/MKT1-NA
Purolator Auto Oil & Air Filters

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I have been using the pure one on my last two bikes since 2006 and have never had a problem at all so I continue to use it.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been using the pure one on my last two bikes since 2006 and have never had a problem at all so I continue to use it.

Well, I have to say, unless you're sure that the oil pump pressure requirements for use of this filter are, indeed, sufficient, you are gambling that long-term effects are insignificant. I, myself, have been using this filter---how can we be sure that there is no premature engine damage due to a decreased oil pressure? Why gamble? Because of pride? Also, in the event of a warranty claim (maybe this isn't even a factor with some, I have a 5 year one), I don't want to hear---let's say, in the even of an oil pump/lubrication, etc., failure---a warranty claims adjuster question why I had an oil filter installed that was specifically not recommended for motorcycles. If you ask me, thiis whole business is now awkward. I mean, had you ever heard of a manufacturer to recommend AGAINST using one of its products for a specific application and then, nevertheless, an owner uses it anyway? I agree, everybody's (including me!) been using it but now, I'm reticent to continue. Accuse me of being NASA concerned...I guess.

Last edited:

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
"I've been using the PureOne 14612 for two years and never have had an issue. I installed an oil pressure gauge and it reads between 55 and 75 all the time, just like the manual states."

I took this off the beartooth kawasaki forum i belong to where you can just punch in purolator or oil and you will find a ton of good info on the pure one filter, and oil analysis, etc. I just took the chance when i started riding in 2005 and have had good luck with the purolator and rotella synthetic. Change it ever 3k regardless and all has been well so far, knock wood. Granted im not sure the requirements are for the FZ6 though as this is on a vulcan 1500 classic if that matters.

W

wrightme43

You just gonna go out on a limb here and say hey

You know those Q tip things????

Ever read the box?????

"Do not insert in ear"

I do it all the time.