Pure one oil filter is bad?!?!

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
Using Mobil 1 here.

From PureOne site:
What About PureONE

If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

Oblinox

Reaction score
Visit site
what about 600cc smart cars? they have the same size motor as the fz6 and same size oil pump and pressure? does purlator say thats not a vehicle either?

W

wrightme43

Here is the thing.

Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure.

Our oil pump handles it just fine

I have already done the research a long time ago checking bypass valve drop pressure as well, its on this site somewhere.

In my experince it will cause no harm, however if someone honestly believes that a less efficent filter that costs more is better, well that is of course thier choice.

My experince is that they work wonderfully well, and I am happy using them. Then again I am a adult and make my own decisions and accept the consquences of them with out suing people. LOL

W

wrightme43

I bet purolator's warning is intended for motorcycles with roller bearing bottom ends.....As in Harleys. I believe the oil pressure present in that type of engine is low, on the order of 15 PSI. Volume would be high, but pushing oil through a restrictive filter with 15 or so PSI could be an issue.

I would bet you would be 100% dead on right. A modern engine design like ours is fine.

Oblinox

Reaction score
Visit site
I would bet you would be 100% dead on right. A modern engine design like ours is fine.

2009 - SMART - Fortwo
Qualifiers PureOne Oil Oil Air Cabin Air Fuel Breather PCV

3 cyl. 0.8L D.I. Turbo Diesel (Canada) L15641 A25640 C35843

3 cyl. 1.0L F.I. PL14612

haha... it uses the same filter lol!!! the pump design seems to be the exact same style as on bikes since its a smaller engine i couldnt find the filter for the 600cc smart on the us pureone page but i found on forums its the same as the 1.0l. so pure one is retarded to put that bull**** on their webpage because they recommend the filter for a motorcycle engine in a car pfffft!!

W

wrightme43

LOL LOL

I guess I will be switching over to the mobil one filter for cars though, just cause the pureone people want me to buy a lower quality filter cause they came out with a new one in chrome for the hardly ableson crowd.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Ditto. I just looked at the specs for the FZ6 engine oil pressure in the FSM. Oil filter bypass is 17PSI and the oil pump relief valve is set at 80PSI. So oil pressure is almost identical to most cars on the road, seeing 20-60PSI in most operating conditions.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
This I like, that Wrightme43, oblinox, and wolfc70 are applying science to this issue. I, especially, have like using the Purolator Pure One filter because I think it combines exceptional oil filtering PLUS (if one uses the longer Purolator filter design version) a design that greatly facilitates removing it since it extends out more than the OEM filter. Unfortunately, there's a risk I would be left "holding the bag" in a engine warranty claim now that Purlolator has specifically disrecommended (is that a word?) using the PureOne fllter on "motorcycles." You know warranty claims adjusters----they might jump at the opportunity to point to the non OEM filter (and the website's disclaimer!) and say, "SEEEEE, you foolishly have been using a filter that hasn't been determined by the manufacturer to meet or exceed OEM---the WRONG oil filter. You idiot! You decreased your engine lubrication and that's why you broke; this VIOLATES warranty requirements Now, get out of here and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!"

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This I like, that Wrightme43, oblinox, and wolfc70 are applying science to this issue. I, especially, have like using the Purolator Pure One filter because I think it combines exceptional oil filtering PLUS (if one uses the longer Purolator filter design version) a design that greatly facilitates removing it since it extends out more than the OEM filter. Unfortunately, there's a risk I would be left "holding the bag" in a engine warranty claim now that Purlolator has specifically disrecommended (is that a word?) using the PureOne fllter on "motorcycles." You know warranty claims adjusters----they might jump at the opportunity to point to the non OEM filter (and the website's disclaimer!) and say, "SEEEEE, you foolishly have been using a filter that hasn't been determined by the manufacturer to meet or exceed OEM---the WRONG oil filter. You idiot! You decreased your engine lubrication and that's why you broke; this VIOLATES warranty requirements Now, get out of here and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!"

Purolator has never recommended using the PureOne line on anything other than automobiles. Why? So they can sell the "motorcycle filters" at a much higher cost.

The internal difference between a Yamaha (Denso) motorcycle specific oil filter and the beloved (hated) PureOne PL14610/12 filters is this;
The PureOne has a better filtering media.
The PureOne has more filtering media that any other specific filter.
The PureOne has a very high quality anti drain back valve.
The PureOne has a well designed bypass valve.
The PureOne has a very well designed gasket.

Motorcycle Oil Filter Comparison Look at the cut filters, and read the comments by the author.

Now look at the Purolator motorcycle filter. OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Purolator
Nothing fancy, and a rather small amount of filtering media.

The Purolator relief valve is set at 14-18 PSI. Filter Specifications So relief pressure should not be an issue since Yamaha specs 17 PSI in the FSM.

More info: http://www.bergmenengineering.com/Spin-On Oil Filter Reference List-November 30, 2005.doc

I am sticking with the Purolator PureOne. However, I suggest you run whatever filter allows you to sleep at night.:rolleyes:

Oblinox

Reaction score
Visit site
nice work wolf and wrightme we cleared this up.. if anyone is still scared of using the pureone filter thatscool i will stick with them! since ive been using them for years on bikes :)

kq6up

Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to use the pureone filter on my bike, but I have the 5 year warranty, and am concerned that when they look over my receipts they would reject my claim. Do warranty adjusters do this sort of thing? Do they actually go over receipts and check weather a particular filter is designed for motorcycle use? Has anyone actually had any experience dealing with the warranty folks in this manor?

Chris

W

wrightme43

It meets all the specs for a filter on our bike.

How in the world could a warrenty be invalidated by using a part that meets or exceeds the call out specs for filter design on our engine?

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
True, but since purolator says not to use it could they make a legal claim there?

Chris

They may, but I can no remember the last time someone here had a actual mechanical failure. There are thousands of these bikes here on the forum, and I know of no mechanical failures related to anything with oil or filters.

As for warranty, I had a porous head casting, and it leaked coolant. My bike went in the shop with the blue PureOne filter on. Not one word was said about the filter, or what oil I used. They have to prove that the product you used caused the failure. If it bothers you that much, use the OEM Yamaha filter.

kq6up

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I bought the OEM filters to be on the safe side, but your post has convinced me that the PurONE is the way to go in the future. The fact that the required pressure falls in with the spec is probably enough to satisfy legal issues if they decided to get stinky about it. Thanks.

Chris

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased a Bosch 3323 oil filter and it looks just like the Purolator PureOne PL14610 filter. It's probably the same filter (better paint job), huh, because Bosch is the parent company of Purolator?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just about to put on my 11th Pureone Filter tommorow. It's currently drying. I just spray painted it black.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
im glad i found a shelf load of Supertech filters because the gold paint on the pure ones really suck ass. Just spinning them on with my hand makes the gold paint chip. Only using them for my cruiser which is so low you cant even see the filter. They shoulda stuck with the blue.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
im glad i found a shelf load of Supertech filters because the gold paint on the pure ones really suck ass. Just spinning them on with my hand makes the gold paint chip. Only using them for my cruiser which is so low you cant even see the filter. They shoulda stuck with the blue.

I just picked up two of those Supertech ST7317 filters at Walmart. These are the highly rated filters (well, according some) and---get this!---only cost $2.84. These babies have a decent black finish and rank right up there (by some accounts) with Purolator and Mobil One. What a deal!

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I just picked up two of those Supertech ST7317 filters at Walmart. These are the highly rated filters (well, according some) and---get this!---only cost $2.84. These babies have a decent black finish and rank right up there (by some accounts) with Purolator and Mobil One. What a deal!

Yup, thats why i cleaned the local(well wasnt really local) walmart of the supertechs. I already have about 6 or 7 of the gold pure one filters so i will just use them for my cruiser. Purolator just doesnt want us bike riders to use their product. Purolator's next prototype pure one filter:

"With the success of our bling bling gangsta gold pure one filter we will now be adding the new Pure one pink polka dotted with green puke color mix filter. Amaze your pothead friends with the pyschadelic color of our quality filter that will cause immediate vomiting and bowel movement just from the site of our new filter.

Think you were made fun of in school? Well you can get those happy feelings again while the mass of squids and sportbike riders look at your pink polka dotted spin-on abomination and laugh at you as they wheelie by with the girlfriends falling aimlessly off the back whilst sporting only a tank top.

Purolator thanks you for your continued support.