Planning a trip

SirByron

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, so I'm planning a trip, bout 450 miles each way, staying for a few days. I've never done anything this long on an FZ6 before, so if anyone has any good touring advice I'd really appreciate it. I've got about 1,000 miles on my tires, and I'm getting a overall checkup for the 17,000 mile mark on the bike before I go, so I should be set on that front. Anyone ever have any problems with their FZ6 on longs trips? Any advice would be great, thanks.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Mechanically, I can't imagine you will have any difficulties (other than maybe a flat), just be sure to have some idea of where service is available along the route and AAA is not a bad idea if you don't already have it.

Make sure friends and family know your route and have scheduled check in times with them.

You shouldn't have any trouble doing the 450 in a day, just be sure to stop and give yourself a break every 150 - 200 miles, you will get fatigued.

Have a great trip :D.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
My son and I just did 1800 miles round trip to Rhode Island and back. I took the Venture and Drew rode the FZ6. The fizzer was flawless and Drew never complained of being tired. We averaged 450 mile a day while traveling. We try to take a break every 150 miles or so to loosen up, drink something etc. The FZ6 is a pretty good little sport tourer.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Takes lots of breaks if you get sore, tired or just distracted! Having a coffee and something to eat not only helps your alertness but also lets you stretch your muscles, keep in the right frame of mind and means you'll need another break in 2 or so hours.

Do a quick one over of the bike the day before, check your oil, all your lights, your tyre pressure, your chain and whether it needs lube, make sure all the fluid levels are at the right place or within the right range.

Make sure you know you can get fuel at regular intervals, my last trip I ended up doing 50 km on my reserve tank before finally getting to a petrol station, was nerve wrecking and stressful :(

Also make sure you have the gear you will need, and have it handy, ie cold weather or wet weather gear, suitable bags that are comfortable while riding (I always prefer not to actually be wearing a bag).
Some anti fog for your visor can be a life saver too.

The bike is pretty comfortable but I got a gel seat which I can chuck on for extra comfort on long trips, it makes a difference but mainly because I wasn't stopping as often as I should have been, so you probably won't need one.

Most importantly of all is making sure your riding safe, having a good time and making sure you get there and back in one peice!

**Oh almost forgot make sure you stay hydrated like a few others above mentioned!**

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Interstate or back roads? 450 miles of twisties can take a while....but straight roads take 99% of the fun out of the trip (for me).

How are your tires?

lube your chain at the end of each day if you can.

Bring rain gear....it doubles as chilly weather gear if the temps drops on you.

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
Main things that work for me:

Plan for the temp drop and dress for it if you travel into the late afternoon... Freezing when the sun get low is no fun.

Bring GOOD QUALITY hearing protection (ie: see an audoiologist and get some application specific ear plugs made). Long rides on motorcycles are hard on hearing - you'll miss it when its gone.

Also as the others mentioned - take the time to get off the bike and walk a bit, drink lots of water - it is the best thing I have found to prevent getting into the vicious circle of sore and inattention.

But thats it really... enjoy! :thumbup:

Blackblood

OMG Wheelies!
Reaction score
www.quayvipersmcc.com
Tinted visor or sunglasses and be aware of sun glare.

Puncture repair kit -these are tiny and most come with little co2 bottles to reinflate the tyre.

GPS/Phone - phone essential at least.If no gps a map can be kept in a tank bags clear pocket.

Spare batteries for torches,radios,mp3 players and such.

Check your suspension settings are properly adjusted to cater for luggage carrying.

Spare bungee cords or the motorcycle friendly ratchet type ones.

Check insurance/breakdown cover covers you for different states.

Brain freeze now :ban: