Planning a Tour De USA, ideas?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i'm really trying to figure my life out and figure out what i wanna do as a career... i've got an idea about that but thats not what this threads about :D
My plan is to continue working my arse off (72 hr weeks every week) save up some cash, quit me job, throw some bags on the V, a new tyre on the front, and head out to see the country...figure before i start going well into debt in school/house/etc i'll go see all the crap i've always wanted to... So far places i want to stop include:

-San Fran :rockon:
-Cruise through the Rockies
-Yellowstone (been there before but not on the bike, although i'd not like to hit a bison)
-Miami Florida
-Boston MA
-Tail o' the Dragon (no brainer :D)
-Would like to hit Nashville at some point
-Actually thinking about cruising up both the East and West coasts
-Always wanted to go through Texas, dunno why but i do lol
It's a ways in the making, but i want to make this a month long trip, maybe longer, see the country and all that :thumbup:
Any other ideas??
I know some of you guys have seen the country, suggestions are welcome!

Also i fully plan on meeting up with some of you guys along the way :D

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Skyline drive in VA is a beautiful ride. If you come down this way from NY you also need to stop in the nation's capital! I took my GoPro out the other day just so I could get a picture of the Jefferson Memorial, Washington monument, and the Capitol building all lined up (you can see it perfectly right next to my office)...wanted to show it to my old man.

Lots of cool scenery/history around this way!

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is one of the seven natural man-made wonders of hte world (longest-bridge tunnel in the world) and then you can always cruise through the Colonial Parkway that spans from Williamsburg/jamestown/Yorktown. Origins of the country, right where I grew up.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Skyline drive in VA is a beautiful ride. If you come down this way from NY you also need to stop in the nation's capital! I took my GoPro out the other day just so I could get a picture of the Jefferson Memorial, Washington monument, and the Capitol building all lined up (you can see it perfectly right next to my office)...wanted to show it to my old man.

Lots of cool scenery/history around this way!

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is one of the seven natural man-made wonders of hte world (longest-bridge tunnel in the world) and then you can always cruise through the Colonial Parkway that spans from Williamsburg/jamestown/Yorktown. Origins of the country, right where I grew up.

I've actual been on skyline drive about 6 years ago but it was in a car, absolutely beautiful! and yeah i guess DC shoulda gone on that list, lol i'm tired.

Great suggestions so far, keep em coming :thumbup:

Crax

Reaction score
Visit site
When you say Rockies, are you coming through Utah? If so, I can point you to some places. You could even crash at my place if you felt like it. I'm more in the north, but if you drive up from the south on your way to yellowstone from texas, you can hit a lot on the way. Might be a bit out of the way though depending on the direction you take between texas and yellowstone. I'd argue there's more unique to see here than Colorado, but some may disagree.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Bro, even better. Why don't you give us a start address for your house and then maybe we can just create a giant Google Map tour of the US for you to follow? Add things and cut them out as you want. Tag member's houses that you are crashing at, haha.

Is that possible?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Hell I'll hit Colorado and Utah, throw me all the suggestions ya got :D

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Bro, even better. Why don't you give us a start address for your house and then maybe we can just create a giant Google Map tour of the US for you to follow? Add things and cut them out as you want. Tag member's houses that you are crashing at, haha.

Is that possible?

That would be sick, not great with the google maps but start point would be 14424 zip

Crax

Reaction score
Visit site
Hell I'll hit Colorado and Utah, throw me all the suggestions ya got :D
What do you like to do?
If you like national parks, there's some good ones to hit.
If you come from the south, you'd really want to hit Zions National Park. My guess though is you'd probably be heading west from colorado on I-70 so you'd want to go to Moab and hit Arches and Canyonlands. After that keep heading west and then you have a lot of good routes.

Don't know if you've been to CanyonChasers.net before, but the guy that runs it is from Utah, so many of the good Utah routes are listed there.
.: Treasure Maps | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring :.

May not be able to do portions of it on a versys, but for some good stuff, check out UTBDR - Utah Backcountry Discovery Route if you really want to see some off the grid stuff. I'm hoping to do that route one day.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent, and to the average versys rider, that route looks sketchy at best, looks like fun to me though, I've taken her offroad before :D

Crax

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you watch the video? Around mins 5 to 7 you can see some crashes. They mention Lockhart basin in that(small glimpse around 6:55). I've been through there on a jeep before. I wouldn't even think about doing it on a larger bike, especially alone. Some of those areas are pretty far from any civilization and if you crash, you'd be screwed.

Are you planning on using something like spot for this trip? May be a good idea especially if you are traveling alone.

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Like what we've got goin so far guys! Yeah I definitely wouldn't mind going all around Florida... I also wouldn't mind seeing any sort of Motorsport race if you guys know of anything happening July- augustish throw it out there !

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
On your way down to Miami you have to stop in ATL and we can swing by the varsity, but you have to plan it for the first Thursday of the month so we can go to the varsity car show, let's just say its...EPIC

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just went to NorCal and rented a bike and another forum member was kind enough to take me on a tour of some of his favorite roads. (Stay away from the river of steel! ;) -- Hwy 101.)

http://www.600riders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41684

The stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway (California Highway 1) is from Skaggs Springs Road to Jenner is particularly nice. We hit it in the afternoon and stopped at Jenner for coffee and great chowder, but Rob says the stretch from there to Bodega Bay is even better. I did it in a car the next day and agree. Lots of twisties, ocean views and eucalyptus. Pretty much any part if the PCH is great, as far as I can tell. As long as it's not wet and/or foggy, which sadly is most mornings around there, I think.

Most of the desert roads I've seen are a little boring, but getting to the big sights in the Four Corners area is worth it. Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, etc. I hear Bryce and Zion are amazing.

In the Southeast, fairly close to the dragon is the Nantahala Outdoor Center where they have some fun water sport stuff -- kayaking and rafting and such, if you want a non-motorcycle day or half day. The AT is near there if you'd like to do some hiking. The Ocoee, where the '96 Olympic whitewater events were held, is not far, either. That's the best rafting I've done -- the upper Ocoee. There are camping options nearby if that's your mode of overnighting. PM me for more info. on that if you want it. I'm not one to post my favorite spots online. There's a place in N. Georgia, a couple of hours from the dragon, called "Two Wheels Only" that is a hotel for motorcyclists. I hear they book up well in advance, though. Wouldn't hurt to call, though.