PCIII Power Commander installed and dynotuned!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, today i finally got my Power Commander PCIII installed at Performance Superbike in Adelaide, Jim Hanlon (renowned engine builder & tuner) also custom mapped the bike on their Dyno.

Now, for a quick update, my bike already had a modified airbox, BMC Air Filter, and a modified (de-baffled) OEM exhaust before the PCIII was installed today.

Was interested to know what difference there would be in HP on my bike, with the OEM air filter, and the BMC air filter, before the PCIII was installed, so i took both fliters into the shop.

Base run (non PCIII) with OEM Air Filter: Max Power = 88.80HP at 12000 rpm, Max Torque =41.62ft-lbs at 10000 rpm.

Base run (non PCIII) with BMC Air Filter: Max Power = 89.74HP at 12000 rpm, Max Torque = 41.94ft-lbs at 10000 rpm.

Air / Fuel mix was pretty much the same...running a bit rich.

So BMC air filter only gave me an extra .94 HP, and .34ft-lbs of torque.

This is a neglible difference...so question one was answered, the BMC filter, although it looks a lot prettier, really does not make a huge difference to performance.

Question two was also answered - there is no point revving the bike past 12000rpm, as Power drops off dramatically beyond this...which is pretty obvious when riding the bike, anyway.

Ok, then we got to the exciting stuff, putting on the PCIII, and doing a few runs on the Dyno, to see what extra performance the PCIII would extract from my bike. Did not bother tuning the bike with OEM Air Filter, went straight to tuning the bike with BMC Air Filter fitted.

After 9 runs, my bike is now putting out 95.38HP at 12000 rpm, and 44.61ft-lbs of torque at 10000rpm

A total gain of 6.58HP, and an increase in torque of 2.99 ft-lbs. Air / Fuel mix is now a lot more neutral, and bike is now running a lot leaner.

Which is about a 7.5% increase in power, and much improved torque.

All increases were pretty much linear to the original spec, and improvement was made right through the rev range.

Riding the Bike home, i really did not get to test the full effect of the PCIII, but i can say that the bike feels considerably smoother, accelerates quite a bit harder, and pulls much better from low rev's, am guessing it will use a bit less feul, now that it is running much leaner.

Am Guessing when i get my Two Brothers Titanium Pipes (about to be ordered through this site) that i wll probably gain another 2-3 hp minimum? Which will bring the whole shabang up to around 100HP! Yippee!

Am a very happy camper!

Here are 2 different maps, the first one (below)shows the base run with OEM Filter in red, and the base run with BMC filter installed in blue

View attachment 6459

The second map (below) compares the second base run with BMC filter installed and no PCIII, versus last dyno run (full remap) with PCIII installed.

View attachment 6460

This is my first really decent performance mod on this bike, and i am very happy, coupled with the fact that i had my Goodridge Braided lines fitted today, to both front and rear brakes, and i now have a bike that goes a lot better, stops quite a bit better, and that should use a bit less fuel.

For any of you Aussie's on this forum, PM me, if your interested in what it cost! Hint...more than enough!

:Flash:

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome results! Thanks for sharing. I think its funny that you said you got yours dynoed today, when us in the US still have to day to experience! dunno why i thought that was cool, but im dead tied.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work Wolfman.

Gotta be happy with results like that, and you'll be on cloud nine when you get the exhaust done.
Another trip to the dyno when you get the TwoBro's???

:)

Yep, and he is going to do it cheap for me, considering i just spent a whole wack load with him today...nice bloke, very easy, and honest to deal with too.

My mod madness is taking over though, new pipes coming, and front suspension mods are on the cards, but i reckon they might be waiting a while to happen, have blown the budget to bits in the last couple of weeks! Lol!

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice. I'm jealous! How much time did you end up spending in the shop?? The shop here charges hourly.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woo! Hoo! Alright Wolfman! Isn't the increase in mid-range great? And you are right the bike is much smoother. I think you are right, once you get your exhuast you will be right at 100hp. The PCIII and the tune, while expansive is a wonderful mod. Make you wonder why they don't come from the factory that way.

Well done! :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woo! Hoo! Alright Wolfman! Isn't the increase in mid-range great? And you are right the bike is much smoother. I think you are right, once you get your exhuast you will be right at 100hp. The PCIII and the tune, while expansive is a wonderful mod. Make you wonder why they don't come from the factory that way.

Well done! :thumbup:

Yep, agree with everything you have said here. The mid range is where you need torque & ponies the most, and this little sucker delivers that in spades, and yes, it makes you realise just how crappy the factory settings are. If all fz6's came out of the factory like this, then they would sell even more!

I dont consider it expensive, i reckon in terms of bang for bucks, it will be hard to match. At about $100 a pony, including the dynotune, that's a bargain, especially as you dont have to rip the engine open, and start stuffing with cams and stuff.

The thing that has impressed me most is how much better and smoother the bike pulls from about 4000rpm....NICE!

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
congrats on the pc3 and custom map,,,im yet to dynotune it but pc3 itself is the best mod ive done to the bike performancewise..im sure with the custom map it will be even better...
thanks for sharing and enjoy your new bike :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice. I'm jealous! How much time did you end up spending in the shop?? The shop here charges hourly.

Ok these are Australian prices...and we get drilled on that front in Oz, being suxch a small, relatively, uncompetitive market. But the PCIII was $475 (they were $550 till very recently, and all the "big" shops are still selling them for that). The Dynotune was $300, including fitting of the unit, and labour! Bargain!:Flash:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice results, i am wondering if the same results can be accomplished through the diag mode of the computer with stock exhaust, i know someone was able to tune their bike using the stock computer with jumping some wires, but his settings were for an aftermarket exhaust.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's great. All you people getting PCIII's are making me really really want one...Just don't have the whole money thing figured out yet! HA! I'm saving, just unexpected expenses are becoming regular enough I might as well be expecing them by now!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice results, i am wondering if the same results can be accomplished through the diag mode of the computer with stock exhaust, i know someone was able to tune their bike using the stock computer with jumping some wires, but his settings were for an aftermarket exhaust.

I asked the guy who tuned my bike about that today, and he said it is possible on a lot of bikes, but if you dont know what you are doing, you can cause yourself a world of pain, as there is no technical support for such shenanigans!

You could say he said that because he is an agent for Power Commander, but this guy is oldschool, and pretty straight up.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's great. All you people getting PCIII's are making me really really want one...Just don't have the whole money thing figured out yet! HA! I'm saving, just unexpected expenses are becoming regular enough I might as well be expecing them by now!

LMAO! I'm going to use that quote, next time i get asked why i have not bought a house! Cant really call buying a PCIII, or any of the other add on goodies we put on our bikes, unexpected expenses though! Although if you cruise this forum enough, lots of things become unexpected expenses real fast!

This place is a bike nuts paradise...you get to look at nice things, then find out where the nice things can be found, how much the nice things are, then all of a sudden your clicking on the paypal button!

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
LMAO! I'm going to use that quote, next time i get asked why i have not bought a house! Cant really call buying a PCIII, or any of the other add on goodies we put on our bikes, unexpected expenses though! Although if you cruise this forum enough, lots of things become unexpected expenses real fast!

This place is a bike nuts paradise...you get to look at nice things, then find out where the nice things can be found, how much the nice things are, then all of a sudden your clicking on the paypal button!

All you guys with PCIII and/or dynotune, please report back the mpg.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing Wolfman! Do we have a Mod sticky with any of these custom maps available? (For those willing to share them and given the expenses, I wouldn't hold it against you for not).

Of course, with these maps customized, we would be expected to do all the same air, fuel and exhaust mods as the person who posted the map?

Thanks!!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing Wolfman! Do we have a Mod sticky with any of these custom maps available? (For those willing to share them and given the expenses, I wouldn't hold it against you for not).

Of course, with these maps customized, we would be expected to do all the same air, fuel and exhaust mods as the person who posted the map?

Thanks!!

I would be happy to share...no stress here. Just would not know how to post a link to the map, that's all.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey wolf i guess you already know what i want to say to you, so i wont bother.

Lol! Am guessing it's not nice! That would be expected from the great Aussie Knocker that you are, and that's why we like you good buddy!

I will rub it in just a wittle bit...cause i can, did you know that my FZ now goes like a cut Snake!

Guys, you gotta do this mod, it transforms your bike...fun factor is awesome!

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol! Am guessing it's not nice! That would be expected from the great Aussie Knocker that you are, and that's why we like you good buddy!

I will rub it in just a wittle bit...cause i can, did you know that my FZ now goes like a cut Snake!

lmao.. he he he.

You'll love it with the Two Bro's then. Should have seen OzFazers eyes light up when I started my bike yesterday... the video just doesn't do it justice, sound much better in real life.

:)

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol Stumbles,yup it did sound sweet !
I went online to order the pipes last night and wouldn't you know it the price went up ! got an email back this morning and am working on a good price from them,will keep you posted when I know.Otherwise I will get the scorps and work out something with the rack later :thumbup:
And thanks again for helping out yesterday .