• In between Handicap Spots

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • in the fire lanes or in Hash mark area

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • As close as you can get to the place you are going on the side walk

Votes: 28 21.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The same thing could be said if I decided to pull my SUV up on the lawn. \\\\\\"I was parking defensivly and its not in anybodys way or a safety hazard.\\\\\\" In fact why stop at parking outside the building why not just take your motorcycle inside the building?

The funny thing to me is its the same people arguing that its totally safe to fill up sitting on the bike as it is arguing they need to park whever they want, usually illegally, to protect their bikes safety. :rof:
As usual, Necrotimus, you got a disjointed way of thinking. Bringing a motorcycle inside the building? (btw, some have mentioned that they DO bring their motorcyle inside a motel room) What purpose would that serve? Parking a SUV on a lawn? (I don't think that this is too common) I don't think I'd even want to park a motorcycle on a lawn (unless maybe it was my own?) even if the merchant offered me permission to park on it. Also, I don't think too many people argued that it's "totally safe" to fill up sitting on a bike because it's not even "totally safe" filling up OFF the bike. I'm starting to get the feeling that people who get disjointed so easily over petty things such as a motorcycle parked out of people's way and where a car or SUV can't fit are also easily set off by many other things that many (most?) others consider petty and insignificant. But, I may be wrong about that, Necrotimus. I don't like to subscribe to the school of thought that people are supposed to fall into "groups" according to how they feel on one subject.

As usual, Necrotimus, you got a disjointed way of thinking. Bringing a motorcycle inside the building? (btw, some have mentioned that they DO bring their motorcyle inside a motel room) What purpose would that serve? Parking a SUV on a lawn? (I don't think that this is too common) I don't think I'd even want to park a motorcycle on a lawn (unless maybe it was my own?) even if the merchant offered me permission to park on it. Also, I don't think too many people argued that it's \"totally safe\" to fill up sitting on a bike because it's not even \"totally safe\" filling up OFF the bike. I'm starting to get the feeling that people who get disjointed so easily over petty things such as a motorcycle parked out of people's way and where a car or SUV can't fit are also easily set off by many other things that many (most?) others consider petty and insignificant. But, I may be wrong about that, Necrotimus. I don't like to subscribe to the school of thought that people are supposed to fall into \"groups\" according to how they feel on one subject.

I don't care where you park your motorcycle but considering many of the places you suggested are illegal or will result in being towed then clearly someone cares. And it begs the question as to why everyone in their cars can't do the same. I mean why is a motorcycle so special it can be parked illegally for the bikes safety but I can't park where ever the hell I want. If their are no motorcycle spots then you should park in a normal space. You are blantetly saying I don't care about the rules but because I drive a motorcycle and can park it illegally I will. Then you wonder why riders get such a bad name.

I wasn't lumping people into groups. Several of the biggest proponents of filling while sitting on their bikes are saying they park where ever they want. I found it ironic that the reason for parking where ever they want was for "safety" and that it is "safe" to fill up sitting on the bike. It seems to me that both are signs of laziness.

Does it irk you when a non handicapped person is parked in a handicapped spot? I bet you it does. Why? They are out of the way and it has no effect what so ever on you. Oh but it may have an effect on someone who needs to park there you say... Well maybe there is a reason where you parked wasn't designated as a parking space.

I don't care where you park your motorcycle but considering many of the places you suggested are illegal or will result in being towed then clearly someone cares.

Does it irk you when a non handicapped person is parked in a handicapped spot? I bet you it does. Why? They are out of the way and it has no effect what so ever on you. Oh but it may have an effect on someone who needs to park there you say... Well maybe there is a reason where you parked wasn't designated as a parking space.

You sure are liberal with presumtions! "Illegal?" Just as filling a fuel tank while sitting isn't illegal where I live nor is parking a bicycle or motorcyle in the non "designated" areas I'm talking about. Nor are they tow-away zones. But besides all that. Sometimes things don't NEED to be "designated" Do you have to be told/signaged how/where/when, etc.,to do everything in life? And, why do you always, it seems, assume the worst about people? (I'm sure you have an answer). I'll let you have the last post since this is turning out to be a pretty long harangue.

It depends on where I am. Note, though, that I NEVER park anywhere other than the parking lot. I'm not better than anyone else, so why should I act as such?

If there's motorcycle specific parking, I'll use it. AT school, they took 2 spots at the end of a row and made it motorcycle specific. The way the spots are set up, there's enough room for about 8 bikes if people park correctly. On campus is the only place I've ever seen motorcycle specific parking.

If there isn't motorcycle parking, I'll use a standard spot. In using a standard spot, if I'm at work, I'll park off to the side, allowing room for another bike to get in and share the spot. If I'm anywhere other than at work, I'll park in the middle of the spot, with one end of the bike sticking out of the back of the spot, so it's visible before a car tries pulling into the spot.

I agree with this 100%. I worked for a company once that had motorcycle parking and I found that it was accessible to bikes only (in a little stand of trees), away from cars, and very full most of the time. Unfortunately, if the motorcycle parking is accessible by cars (i.e. next to a building like most of the bike shops around here), then cars will use it and not feel guilty in the least. THAT makes me more mad than the idiot parking in 4 spots because they can't turn their Suburban well enough to park properly.

My school motorcycle parking is too narrow for a car and often gets used for maintenance vehicles or dumpster storage. Then, when asked where I can park without a permit, I am told I have to pay the meters.....

This is so rediculous. People are so uptight.
I completely disagree. I'm incensed that you would say that. You are totally wrong. People are not uptight. They need to get upset. When I get home I'm going to take it out on my dog. And if I see somebody walking on the WRONG side of the street I'm going to blow a gasket. Later, I'm going to slow down motorists driving over the speed limit by playing a 65MPH pace car in the fast lane. Blah, blah, and more blah. Uptight? Who, me?

I don't care where you park your motorcycle but considering many of the places you suggested are illegal or will result in being towed then clearly someone cares. And it begs the question as to why everyone in their cars can't do the same. I mean why is a motorcycle so special it can be parked illegally for the bikes safety but I can't park where ever the hell I want. If their are no motorcycle spots then you should park in a normal space. You are blantetly saying I don't care about the rules but because I drive a motorcycle and can park it illegally I will. Then you wonder why riders get such a bad name.

I wasn't lumping people into groups. Several of the biggest proponents of filling while sitting on their bikes are saying they park where ever they want. I found it ironic that the reason for parking where ever they want was for \"safety\" and that it is \"safe\" to fill up sitting on the bike. It seems to me that both are signs of laziness.

What is your position having bicycles park in a parking spot? Most likely it will not be seen and get knocked down. That is why there is an area for bicycles and why there is motorcylce parking.

The point here is that there has been a number of posts where members have found that their bikes have been knocked down by careless or irresponsible drivers. Not really a "safety" issue, except for maybe the safety of the bike itself. In order to avoid similar occurances, preventive measures are taken since there is no designated motorcycle parking.

Parking anywhere but an assigned parking space is very subjective, and may or may not result in a ticket, and it's definatley a chance a rider takes. However, from my own experience, I have never received a ticket or have gotten towed. It's no different than driving a new car and having your door dinged by some careless person or child who opens up their door that parks besides you. You find out that there is a big dent, some paint scraped, and you get upset. What do you do? In the future, you might park away from all of the cars, parking the vehicle in the lot away from the other cars, a measure described as defensive parking. Taking up two spaces is probably considered illegal, which may result in a ticket.

Our bikes are not taking up an extra space, in reality, parking in areas that are in question results in freeing up an extra space for cars, which might be the reason why nothing is usually done. Benefits both parties.

Classifiying us as "special" or "lazy" is not accurate. Maybe paranoid or very protective would be a better description.

I read, learn and use this forum from members who have posted their personal experiences. The decision to follow their advice or not is a personal choice, and where to park your bike is one of them. With so many of us parking in areas that you disagree with, I'm sure we would have a number of posts from members telling us that they got towed, ticketed, cited, etc. Instead we have posts that their bike has been knocked down. So no matter how wrong it is to park where we park, seems that most of the places around this world doesn't have a problem with it, otherwise we would be reading about it.

You sure are liberal with presumtions! \"Illegal?\" Just as filling a fuel tank while sitting isn't illegal where I live nor is parking a bicycle or motorcyle in the non \"designated\" areas I'm talking about. Nor are they tow-away zones. But besides all that. Sometimes things don't NEED to be \"designated\" Do you have to be told/signaged how/where/when, etc.,to do everything in life? And, why do you always, it seems, assume the worst about people? (I'm sure you have an answer). I'll let you have the last post since this is turning out to be a pretty long harangue.

California must be more tolerant than Virginia. If you park next to a bike rack you will be ticket or towed. In most palces if you park in hashes even, even not the fire lane you will be ticketed or towed. If you are on the sidewalk on a bicycle in most places you can and will be ticketed. It is considered illegal. I don't do it because its considered illegal and readily enforced therefore to do it, at least around here, is rude and expensive.

And to everyone else saying it is stupid... If you own a business and people start parking where they please with no regard to anything it can F up deliverys, evacuation routes, and emergency responses. It can detract from business and deter customers. If its not a big deal in your area then fine but at least near me it is readily enforced and tow truck drivers make a nice chunk of change.

What is your position having bicycles park in a parking spot? Most likely it will not be seen and get knocked down. That is why there is an area for bicycles and why there is motorcylce parking.

The point here is that there has been a number of posts where members have found that their bikes have been knocked down by careless or irresponsible drivers. Not really a \"safety\" issue, except for maybe the safety of the bike itself. In order to avoid similar occurances, preventive measures are taken since there is no designated motorcycle parking.

Parking anywhere but an assigned parking space is very subjective, and may or may not result in a ticket, and it's definatley a chance a rider takes. However, from my own experience, I have never received a ticket or have gotten towed. It's no different than driving a new car and having your door dinged by some careless person or child who opens up their door that parks besides you. You find out that there is a big dent, some paint scraped, and you get upset. What do you do? In the future, you might park away from all of the cars, parking the vehicle in the lot away from the other cars, a measure described as defensive parking. Taking up two spaces is probably considered illegal, which may result in a ticket.

Our bikes are not taking up an extra space, in reality, parking in areas that are in question results in freeing up an extra space for cars, which might be the reason why nothing is usually done. Benefits both parties.

Classifiying us as \"special\" or \"lazy\" is not accurate. Maybe paranoid or very protective would be a better description.

I read, learn and use this forum from members who have posted their personal experiences. The decision to follow their advice or not is a personal choice, and where to park your bike is one of them. With so many of us parking in areas that you disagree with, I'm sure we would have a number of posts from members telling us that they got towed, ticketed, cited, etc. Instead we have posts that their bike has been knocked down. So no matter how wrong it is to park where we park, seems that most of the places around this world doesn't have a problem with it, otherwise we would be reading about it.

Again Vegas must be more motorcycle friendly than the cities in Northern Virginia. I have seen a total of 5 motorcycle spaces since I have been riding and they are in DC. Everything else is a parking space and you park in a space like everyone else if you don't you are ticket or towed. You try to squeeze in between to cars at meters you are ticketed. You are over a line in a cross walk you are ticketed. You are on the sidewalk or a median you are ticketed. Maybe its simply because in this area is government or public buildings so they have an easier time enforcing it.

I would argue that it is the motorcyclists resposibility to make his bike visible when he parks it in a spot. It also doesn't necessarily follow that another vehicle hit the motorcycle causing it to fall over it could just have easily been pushed.

Again Vegas must be more motorcycle friendly than the cities in Northern Virginia. I have seen a total of 5 motorcycle spaces since I have been riding and they are in DC. Everything else is a parking space and you park in a space like everyone else if you don't you are ticket or towed. You try to squeeze in between to cars at meters you are ticketed. You are over a line in a cross walk you are ticketed. You are on the sidewalk or a median you are ticketed. Maybe its simply because in this area is government or public buildings so they have an easier time enforcing it.

I would argue that it is the motorcyclists resposibility to make his bike visible when he parks it in a spot. It also doesn't necessarily follow that another vehicle hit the motorcycle causing it to fall over it could just have easily been pushed.

I will agree with you that it really depends on the area or region you are in that have accepted this form of parking. Like you have said, the area in which you live in have zero tolerance, as in areas where I have been has been more flexible.

I never park in betweeen meters, and if I share a meter, it will be with another bike which I have done. I am always aware that If I choose to park in an unconventional spot, that I make sure that I don't block entrances or exits, and make sure that I don't disrupt the flow of pedestrian traffic or inhibit the entering or exiting for the disabled. Sometimes, I have no other alternatives but to park in a regular spot due to the fact that I can't find an aternate spot for the above reasons and hold my breath that my bike will be fine.

In tennessee, we have no motorcycle parking. (not even at the local bike dealership) so I have no option but to park in a cager spot, however local businesses let motorcycles park in the hash areas at the end of parking rows. So I park there if possible, but if i have to...i park in a cager spot with the tail of my bike as far back in the spot as I can so cars will see me, and leave room for another bike as well. This is NOT a subject that needs to be argued over. We all park our bikes and hope that when we return they are undamaged, but people individually are smart. People as a whole are big dumb stupid animals. So Park and hope your bike is ok, and for pete's sake pay for insurance. :confused:

Last week at shchool my only option was to park between two SUV's and a cager flying through the parking lot almost ran me over trying to park there before I even got off my bike. :spank:

In SF Bay Area, I like to park in "unconventional" places like on sidewalks if it's not in the way of anybody. I consider it one the "perks" of riding - you get to park more easily. That's one of the things I like about riding - also why I lane split when safe, and come to the head of the line when there is a red light if I can get there before the light changes. My only concern about parking like that is getting a ticket, although I never have, nor ever seen a ticket on anyone else's bike who was doing it. This weekend I parked on a sidewalk at Target, and while I was getting ready to go, two separate 8yr old boys walked by with their mom and said something like "cool ride!" I think the mommies were less impressed by their son's enthusiasm for motorcycles.

I park wherever i can find is closest to where i am going, whilst being safe, and legal..

Try to avoid having the bike vulnerable to be knocked over, or tampered with are my two main concerns whehn looking for a park.

:thumbup:

I have been known in the past to pull right up next to the entrance on the sidewalks and park there. Not only is the bike in full view but i dont have to walk far when its time to go.:thumbup:

i always park my bike in a regular parking spot. Usually i will try to find one where i can see it though. I've only ever had one person touch my bike when i parked it and when he came into the store i work at we started talking and he said he was just showing his buddy whatever and that he used to build the bikes for the local dealer and how the fz was always his favorite

Back