over pants???

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I also use the Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 textile overpants. I believe they have a mesh version as well. I went with textile for the safety factor, but they do get pretty hot in temps over 80. If you are often riding in hot weather, I would recommend mesh, but definitely wear jeans under them. You could do textile with shorts, but you'll get awfully sweaty, as the textile styles I have seen are water resistant (or proof), and not very breathable.

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
FirstGear TPG Escape Textile Motorcycle Pants :: New Enough, LTD
I'm thinking about getting these, anyone know anything about them?

I've been wearing mine for about a month now and really like them! They are on the warmish side with the liner in, but really nice and light (for still being a very sturdy, well padded pant) with the liner out.
Construction seems to be high quality, and they have a lot of adjustibility with the velcro waist straps.
The legs zip open to the knee, which is nice because you can put them on and get them off over large boots.
I've ridden in the rain with them once for about 1.5 hrs, and I stayed totally dry and warm.
Love the dry pocket on the right leg too, great place for cell/wallet when riding.

One note: New Enough says to order a size smaller than you think you need, but I disagree. This would be fine if you didn't wear them over pants, but since they are OVERPANTS, I'm not sure what they were thinking. I generally wear a size 34 waist, so I ordered these in 34. They fit fine with no pants under them, but were super tight with pants underneath. had to send them back and get a size 36 waist. They fit great, and the adjustable waist lets you take up or let out as you may need.

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
since you are in CA, how are they in 80-90 degree days?? good for commuting??

I've been wearing mine for about a month now and really like them! They are on the warmish side with the liner in, but really nice and light (for still being a very sturdy, well padded pant) with the liner out.
Construction seems to be high quality, and they have a lot of adjustibility with the velcro waist straps.
The legs zip open to the knee, which is nice because you can put them on and get them off over large boots.
I've ridden in the rain with them once for about 1.5 hrs, and I stayed totally dry and warm.
Love the dry pocket on the right leg too, great place for cell/wallet when riding.

One note: New Enough says to order a size smaller than you think you need, but I disagree. This would be fine if you didn't wear them over pants, but since they are OVERPANTS, I'm not sure what they were thinking. I generally wear a size 34 waist, so I ordered these in 34. They fit fine with no pants under them, but were super tight with pants underneath. had to send them back and get a size 36 waist. They fit great, and the adjustable waist lets you take up or let out as you may need.

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
since you are in CA, how are they in 80-90 degree days?? good for commuting??

With the liner in it gets pretty hot when it's warm out, but if you take it out they're great. Not mesh great, but they'd do a LOT more protecting in a crash than mesh. No problem for commuting, they're super comfy!
One thing I wish they had was some sort of flap you could reach through to get stuff out of your pants pockets through the overpants, only complaint/improvement suggestion I have.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
Olympia makes awesome products. I have a jacket by them. 100% waterproof and great quality. That being said I still like my Teknic pants that cost 1/3 the price.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i owned a pair of mesh icon overpants. amazing how cool you stay as they are ALL mesh everywhere (except a few critical areas). cost effective as well. if they still make em i highly recommend them. just keep in mind that they are overpants tho if you do want better protection proper riding pants the only way to go.

but on those hot days these pants rock.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
back from the dead - ok i would really like to get on me buying overpants for this summer.. any other opinions on OVERPANTS.. i need to wear jeans under them, so im looking for something that is a true overpant..

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
back from the dead - ok i would really like to get on me buying overpants for this summer.. any other opinions on OVERPANTS.. i need to wear jeans under them, so im looking for something that is a true overpant..

I use a pair of IXS Cordura, - and wear jeans under them.
They come with thermo inserts, so they can be used year round, and are 100% water proof. The also have all the safety inserts, soft foam most places, except the knees that are alu/kevlar inserts.

I have used this pair for 2 years now, - and they show no signs of deterioration!

Pimpson

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a heck of a deal on a pair of Cortech HRX pants, ($60) but I have not yet ridden in them. They seem like they would be cooler than what I used before if you take out the liners. They also seem more protective with the leather sections and thicker knee armor. I have been using the Tourmaster Venture and they've been great. Mine are not the "air" version, and I always wore Dickies/Jeans underneath them so they def. did get hot though. If I like the HRX's I'll be selling my Venture pants. I liked how the Venture pant fit over my shoes though. I wear the Shift riding shoe, and the HRX pant is designed to go into a boot, not over it. What do you guys do when wearing pants like this? Boots are on my list next, but I don't have the $200+ for a pair right now. Do I just leave the bottom part unzipped a little, but then it will flap around....Maybe I'll just ride with the "highwater" look.....

Cortech's http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/14365/ITEM/Cortech-HRX-Series-2-Pants.aspx

Tourmaster Venture http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/100/987/ITEM/Tour-Master-Venture-Pants.aspx

Last edited:

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
I commute 60 miles a day round trip, and i use Olympia Airglide pants. ive ridden in 40 degrees with the liner in, no problems. Ive ridden in 100 degree with no liner, and the pants breathe well as long as im moving. ive ridden in rain for 30 miles at 70 mph, and again, no leakage (at least from the pants).

i would prefer Motoport air mesh overpants, but for now, the Airglides work well for me. easy on, easy off, good quality pants.

in fact, i have two pair, silver and a black...i may be selling the silver ones soon.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of combination Mesh and leather pants.
They are made by Frank Thomas ans are armored and double stitched.

Whilst riding they are very cool + they offer great protection.

I have ordered a pair of Kevlar jeans for this summer.

Nelly

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought black leather chaps. They repel the water, block the wind, and keep me warm. I wear jeans underneath them. The only problem is my butt and crotch get wet when the weather isn't too nice.

They're comfortable and warm and at the least they'll reduce road rash. They work perfect for me - and they match my black bike, black boots, black and white jacket, black gloves, and black and white helmet.

I'm diggin the chaps regardless.

djneall

rebmem roinuj
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear the Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 mesh pants with a Kevlar liner (Draggin' Liner) underneath for that added bit of abrasion protection... I have been very happy with both and stay cooler in the summer than if I was wearing jeans only. In the winter I need a wind blocker layer if it is under 40 degrees and plan on riding for very long.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
keep in mind the material. the Motoport website has a page that lists the tearing strength of various fabrics, with (of course) their mesh kevlar having the strongest strength.

I did recently purchase a motoport jacket, and it is by far the best piece of MC equipment ive bought (next to my shoei). when i say its the best piece, i mean in terms of safety, not fashion. their pants are the same way, with excellent abrasion resistance from the kevlar fabric. lots of other manufacturers use fabrics that can melt when heated up (like dragging across pavement).

if i were to do it again, i would go motoport all the way...i dont work for the company, but i have done lots and lots of reading and everything ive read seems to support my recommendation.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of Olympia Motorsports Airglide 2 overpants and love them! :rockon: I got a pretty good deal at a BMW motorcycle shop and wear them anytime I go on a long ride, or commuting in traffic.

With the rain liner in they are a complete waterproof package and the liner also helps on cold days to cut the wind chill down.

On a warm day take out the liner and wear a pair of shorts and it feels like you're only wearing shorts, but have padding in the knees and hips, plus the protection of the pants.

They do run long in the leg, but they're meant to be tailored, so they give enough room under the zipper to allow a custom fit if needed.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Fieldsheer Four Season pants - and love them. I would second the comments on inseam. Had to order men's size since I have a long inseam and absolutely hate high water pants.

The mesh panels are fairly large and I like how I can adapt the pants to the weather. In the extreme heat I wear shorts under them, frequently wear both jeans and dress pants (for work) under them and in the colder temps put the liners in. Very comfortable as well!

When they wear out I will more than likely replace them with the very same item.