over pants???

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
good over pants for summer (hot/warm) ridding??? and do you recomend jeans or shorts under them?? discuss :thumbup:

Firstgear Air 2.0 - For comfort I would rate them 4 out of 5; good fit, good ventilation, good quality, also comes with removable liner.
For protection I would rate them 2 out of 5. Small padding in the hips, not much bigger than my hand spread out. Ok padding in knees. All of it is foam and none of it strikes me as being sufficient in a crash. Maybe just reduce road rash at best and then only in the few small padded areas.
I want gear that I would feel confident taking a running jump down my driveway! I'm still looking.

Oh yeah, I always wear jeans underneath. Guess I'm a ATGATT freak.

I have been thinking of the same thing, during the winter I wear a pair of Teknic overpants that give great protection over Dockers when commuting but I'll need to find something cooler in a few months. I would hate to go down with just a pair of Dockers on ;)

I've got a pair of fieldsheer titanium air 2's. They aren't technically overpants but I typically wear a pair of shorts underneath anyway, they've got plenty of room for it. Being mesh the stay cool no matter how hot it gets, but then a lot of people will tell you that they won't hold up in a crash.... Me, I don't get up into 3 digit speeds too often so I'm not too worried about it.

If that doesn't cut it, you could always pick up a pair of kevlar underwear and some knee armor.

Last edited:
I bought scorpion pants and the plastic zipper broke after only two weeks!!! and I mean the fly zipper!!! and they cost $150.00 u.s. THEY SUCK!!!!!! I wish I would have asked what brand of gear to buy.all of my gear is scorpion gloves and jacket havent given me any problems though.

I have Tourmaster Venture Air textile pants.

Tourmaster lists them at $184.

I paid about $120 at a local dealer, but I wonder if they had them miss-tagged as the cheaper, standard Ventures. They are sort of a ballistic mesh in some areas, but a more substantial abrasion resistant material is used in areas that are more likely to contact asphalt. They have hip pads and CE knee armor, plus zip-in rain and thermal liners.

They are great pants and I'm overall happy with them.

Pros:
-Cool in summer with the insulated liner out, though I feel safer with that extra layer.
-solid padding and armor - you feel safe in these pants
-sold in "short" length.
-the insulating liner is really effective. I ride all winter and I was even warm a few weeks ago when it was 10F. (I also had thermal undies and the rain liners on)
-adjustable waste (great for off season growth :rolleyes:)

Cons:
-A bit on the baggy side.
-No flap over the crotch zipper (it just looks odd... that's all)
-The insulated liners are short... I mean like capri pant short. I guess with taller boots they'd be perfect. (taller boots on order!!)
-both liners are cut away at the crotch. I assume this to make bathroom breaks easier. Well, guess where cold air and rain comes in. On complete soaker days I wear a pair of full rain pants as well.
-Even with the knee armor adjusted to the top they still ride below my knees when standing / walking. In the riding position they are where they belong. So, when I fly off, I'll to remember to keep my knees bent. (Poor Superman form, I know)

I like them a lot more than that "cons" list would indicate.

Last edited:
good over pants for summer (hot/warm) ridding??? and do you recomend jeans or shorts under them?? discuss :thumbup:

This has been discussed before and here's the link. Even though the poll is closed, you can get an idea on what other members thought by looking and reading the various threads.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/safety-equipment/5296-riding-pants-extreme-heat.html

This year I am going to buy me some kevler mesh riding pants that are custom made by a company out of California. I can't find the link nor recall the name of that company. It's pricey, but claim to offer the best protection while offering the best ventilation. I told them I would be riding in 110 degree plus heat and they strongly suggest I buy their mesh kevlar.

I use Joe Rocket Ballist 5.0 pants. They are water proof so that means HOT in the summer. Around $200 Cdn but well worth it. If I ever went down these things would save my skin for sure. As for the hot thing I usually wear shorts underneath in the summer.

Yamaspeed

Ken, please send me a link to the kevlar pants when you
find it. Afterall, I do love Kevlar.;)

Ken, please send me a link to the kevlar pants when you
find it. Afterall, I do love Kevlar.;)

Okay Scott,

I just have to spend some time searching the old threads. It's very similar to what motorycycle cops wear, the pants is made entirely of kevlar but are in mesh form. They run almost $500. I spoke to them over the phone last summer and they sold me on it.

Eureka! I found it.

http://www.motoport.com/Default.asp

Remember, textile pants will melt when they encounter friction with the pavement. The melting nylon can melt and be imbedded into your skin. A frighting thought. Kevlar jeans are kind of misleading, as kevlar is only used in certain parts of the jeans. So unless you land on the sweet spot, it might not save you. They say kevlar performs better than leather too. Either way, leather or 100% kevlar will offer the best protection. But leather during the summer is out of the question for most members who live in very hot or humid climates. And if you insist on riding with jeans, then some form of riding jeans, such as kevlar jeans will always be better than your standard jeans.

Last edited:

I paid about $120 at a local dealer, but I wonder if they had them miss-tagged as the cheaper, standard Ventures. They are sort of a ballistic mesh in some areas, but a more substantial abrasion resistant material is used in areas that are more likely to contact asphalt. They have hip pads and CE knee armor, plus zip-in rain and thermal liners.

Pros:
-Cool in summer with the insulated liner out, though I feel safer with that extra layer.
-sold in "short" length.
-the insulating liner is really effective. I ride all winter and I was even warm a few weeks ago when it was 10F. (I also had thermal undies and the rain liners on)

Cons:
-The insulated liners are short... I mean like capri pant short. I guess with taller boots they'd be perfect. (taller boots on order!!)
-both liners are cut away at the crotch. I assume this to make bathroom breaks easier. Well, guess where cold air and rain comes in. On complete soaker days I wear a pair of full rain pants as well.
-Even with the knee armor adjusted to the top they still ride below my knees when standing / walking. In the riding position they are where they belong. So, when I fly off, I'll to remember to keep my knees bent. (Poor Superman form, I know)

+1. Use them everyday.

Teknic Tactic Convertible Textile Motorcycle Pants :: New Enough, LTD

If you like them PM me, I might still have a newenough 10% off coupon.

I like them, really comfortable with zipped openings for the warmer weather..... oh warmer weather how i miss thee.....

but anyways, I think i will be riding in these my alpinestars and some shorts come this summer.

Look pretty funny in boots and shorts :)

Pros:
-sold in "short" length.

Cons:

i am leaning toward these or those joe rocket ones.. If i can find a good deal on these, they seem like what will be a good fit for what im looking to get out of them.. I just want something that would offer good protection over jeans. I get my first summer of bike commuting to work (never used the bike for work before) and i need a good set of overpants. thanks for the info
:thumbup:

I'm in Los Angeles so it get pretty hot in the summer. For most of the year, I use a pair of mesh Joe Rocket Phoenix. It's all air, almost see through.

Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 Mesh Motorcycle Overpants :: New Enough, LTD

For cooler weather like now, I wear Tour Master Caliber. Windproof with liner.

Tour Master Caliber Textile Motorcycle Overpants :: New Enough, LTD

I have one of the Phoenix 2.0 mesh jackets. I got it last year when I was on a ride and was absolutely dying in the heat. I was wearing an insulated waterproof teknic jacket. I now use the Rocket jacket almost all of the time and when it gets a little chilly I just put something heavier on undertneath.
THe Pheonix 2.0 stuff is a good system.

I have some Aerostich Darien Lite overpants. They are a little warm but that is the price you pay for them being waterproof too. Very good armor and you and can just wear some lightweight pants under them.

Kinda pricey, I got mine used.

REMEMBER TO MEASURE!! Don't use your jean inseam measurements unless they are long enough when you are sitting on the motorcycle. This is especially important if you don't wear high boots. When you sit on the motorcycle the crotch and knee areas will bunch raising the pant leg. You should try to account for those extra inches. If I remember correctly most top out at 32" which can be an issue for us taller people.

Back