Older riders with the FZ6(first post)

Cellerdrummer

Reaction score
Visit site
Older riders with the FZ6(first post)EDIT-FZ1

((((EDIT)))) Update May 8th 2014..6 days before my 45th B-day..I bought my dream bike today..A 2013 FZ1!!!!..Gave up looking for a late year low mileage FZ6er so went with its uncle.. Wish me luck I pick it up tomorrow morning. Dealership is a little over an hour away..

Hello everyone!
I've been riding all kinds of motorcycles, off and on for nearly 30 years. Since then I've been through a dozen bikes. Dual sports, a Harley,motorcross bikes,quads etc. Well now I'm in my 40s and looking for a commuter/play bike. Spent several weeks researching and I think the FZ6 is it.

The V-twin cruiser style just didn't do it for me. One summer with the Harley and I lost interest. The KLR250 was a blast and I rode that for a couple years. No heavy traveling just local trips and daily work commuting. Then some health issues slowed me down for a couple years. Exercise, sleep apnea machine, and stomach meds have brought me back to good health,,finally..

Anyway.. How many (40 plus) year old FZ6 riders do we have here?
CD

Last edited:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
60 y.o. this coming July. Have had the FZ6 for the last 4+ years after having tried to "act my age" with a Yamaha Vstar 1100 which sat in the garage for most of the 5 years which I had it. The Fz6 does almost everything I need from canyon work to multi day touring. :rockon:

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: CD I think there are quite a few mature members in our family here...except for me...I just turned 29 (again) ;)

I'm also going to he!! for lying :spank:

Pagey

Tiger Boy
Reaction score
Visit site
46 here

Been riding for 20+ years now on a variety of bikes and i cant fault the FZ 6.

Does everything you want it too :D

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: CD!
Next year I'll be at the fourty mark and I've had the fz for nearly four years.
A bunch of us from nj/ny ride out that way. Look for rides in the "are you goin'for a ride"section. Actually, a few of us were just out there yesterday.

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
Grey hair and wide...at 52. Just rode my first bike yesterday. Knees ache, wrist hurts but my heart is thumping away like I was 18 again. As far as I'm concerned, the FZ6 is a time machine! I even had a young lady give me a double take. Yeah Baby...:rolleyes:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum first off! :welcome:

55 years old here, been riding on the street since I was 17, dirt bikes and mini bikes before that..

Owned two KLR 250's, a 650, a Goldwing, FJR, two Harleys, 2 Honda 1100 Shadows, and many others over the years (mostly Yamaha's).

I loved my KLR 250's but every 32,000 miles, the left, main crank bearing would blow up-complete engine tear down's. Did that twice on my 1989, @ 32,000 miles, then 64,000, sold it at 73,000. My last 05 KLR 250, @ 28,000 miles, while changing out the cam chain, found that same bearing with about .005" play in it (failing).

I bought the FZ6 to replace the KLR as I was getting tired of going thru the engine every 5 years or so.

Anyway, for the FZ, being about 5'8", once I put bar risers and set backs on (1" up, 1 & 3/8" back), for the handlebars, fine tuned the normal buzziness down to a minimum, the bike is perfect for me.

So much so, I sold the FJR and the KLR and am down to one bike, this one.

Put some aftermarket pipes and farkles on it, by far, my favorite bike of all of them. 48MPG around down, will behave itself in the lower RPM range, and will certainly hold its own in the higher rev range and sound great doing it..

Highly recommended! :thumbup:

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hit 54 in about3.5 weeks, but whose counting???

been back on a bike now for about 5 years after a twenty year layoff( or there abouts)
WIFE #2 gave me a licence course and test for my 48th birthday present.

the FZ is my 2nd road bike and I love it. I look at newer bikes and just think they are going to cost me 6-7$k to buy and Im still going to have the same distance to cover in the same traffic so why change and I really love my fz

welcome aboard!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 3x3x3x2+3 on the outside, stuck at 25 on the inside. Only riding for 3 years, all on the FZ6. Great bike to feed the inner child without over stressing outer 'gentleman' [emoji1].

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 20 with additional 20 years experience :D

I've used my FZ6 for the last 6 years for commuting and touring, though just bought something new to play with... Photos soon lol

Xlrrp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, just turned 50. Been riding on the street (legally) since I was 15.5 in California. I bought my FZ6 because I couldn't pass up the deal. Never really wanted a sportbike. I have really grown to like it and it has become my daily commuter to work. I will also use it for motorcycle camping/touring this summer.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
54 here. Been riding the FZ since '07, and it was my first bike. I did get a bigger bike for touring a year ago (37" inseam) but still haven't sold the FZ, she's fun! :rockon:
:welcome:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 3x3x3x2+3 on the outside, stuck at 25 on the inside. Only riding for 3 years, all on the FZ6. Great bike to feed the inner child without over stressing outer 'gentleman' [emoji1].

Great, friggin math!!!

Us old guys have enough to do!!!;)

Trouble makin youngsters!!!!! :)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OP - what are you wanting to know??
If the question is; is the 600 a great little workhorse all in one, do it all bike; well yes it is! Is it the right one for everyone? Maybe not. Is it like 10,000 Times more sporty than an HD -
picture.php

Just like sizing your night time pillow to your needs, most will make minor mods so the bike fits us better. Some stop there, others don't! :thumbup:

Thread Title "Older riders" (you're 40) haha! Grab a bike and get on! :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site