Old Ninja 250 owners

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
What can I look forward to from an 07 250 to an 07-09 FZ6???I'm still getting to know my lil ninja, but what will I be in for from the FZ6???:confused:

Thanks...

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Expect about 60 more horsepower with the ability to do about 90 mph by the time you're shifting into 3 rd gear at 12,000 rpms. The FZ6 comes with all the capabilities of a 600 cc bike, and it will lift the front wheel off the ground if caned hard enough. Insurance costs will be higher, and it runs on more expensive tires compared with a Ninja 250. Not sure of the official specs for both bikes, but the FZ6 will weigh more, and likely has a higher seat height. Not much of a concern if you're a decently sized person, but can be difficult if you're somewhat vertically challenged or mass deprived.:rolleyes:

All told, the skills you're learning on the 250 will transfer over to the FZ6 quite well. Things will happen much more quickly on the FZ6 because of it's increased power.

Last edited:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Not much of a concern if you're a decently sized person,

A real pain in the tuckus if you are a insufficiently sized person.

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

Most of us 5'8" folk tip toe or one foot the bike at stops. :) It is only an issue for the first week or three. Then it becomes second nature.

The biggest difference you will notice is the power. The Ninja is @ 25hp Stock, the FZ @ 95HP. Almost 4 times the power. You can exceed the top speed of the Ninja in second gear. On a stock bike there seems to be a power jump @ 4500 RPM or so. The bike really comes alive over 5000K. The cool bit is that you can ride around all day between 2000 and 4000 RPM and really enjoy the bike. So as you get used to the weight and balance of the bike, you can keep it safely sedate. Then as your confidence grows you have gobs of power available between 5000 and 12000 RPM.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto what's already been said.
Also, if you're on stock tires, expect infinitely better grip from FZ6, even on FZ6 stock tires.. especially in the cold.
Expect to have a sillier grin on your face every time you twist the throttle :thumbup:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I have both. As mentioned, the FZ6 will be like the 250, but on steroids, i.e. way more torque, way more hp, more top end. It feels much heavier. A little longer stops as a result, but the FZ6 can have awesome brakes. SS lines make a big difference. The FZ6 is taller. Tires are more readily available on the FZ6 and more compound choices. 16" tires are becoming more difficult to find. You'll spend more $$ at the pump. My Ninja gets 75 mpg. The FZ handling is much sloppier. The Ninja is just a fun little, flickable ride. You'll love the fuel injection compared to the carbs of the baby Ninja. You won't have to ride the FZ6 as hard to ride to ride aggressively - more what I'm trying to say is that you really have to keep the revs up on the Ninja to keep it in a responsive range. Not necessarily true with the FZ6. You'll have a fuel gauge and flashers.

Hope this helps. Keep the lil Ninja if you can and enjoy both!

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
I loved my 250 but on ruff roads it would beat me to death
Now I hit the same and ow was that a bad spot not anymore!!!:cheer:

netbug

Reaction score
Visit site
Way much more power on FZ. Ninja will be way much more flickable, cornering is much easier. On the FZ you have to lean your body more. After a while it will become second nature.
Throttle control will be challenging the first few weeks.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an '08 Ninja 250R as my "get back into motorcycling" bike. I rode in my youth and was not sure I would really want to get back into it so I started small.

The 250 was fun but felt cramped. The FZ6 fits much better and, as other said, feels calm below 6k. 8-10k and it takes off in a way that can suprise you if you're not ready for it.

Just about everything feels better on the Yamaha.

Tim

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto to all of the above. There is much more wind protection on the FZ6 and it feels like a full sized bike (it is). I had 250's and loved them. I have to say the FZ6 feels much more relaxed since you usually don't have to rev it to redline at every take off. But I do miss that feeling of flogging the 250 at every chance (and necessity in so-cal).

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto to all the above. The FZ is much more relaxed above 60 and a real joy on open roads and interstates. In lower speed roads the FZ can be too much. I enjoyed playing with my 250 on lower speed roads, rev it shift a couple of times and be doing 35 or 40. Same effort on the FZ get 70 or more. Not good if the speed limit is 30! Fuel injection is so nice, hit the start button and ride. Tires are better and it will lift the front wheel in first. Be careful when you twist the throttle in first or second. Stuff happens real quick relative to the Ninja.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone...:bow:

What about fuel???I'm getting 65miles a gallon now with my 15t on the lil ninja...Will the FZ6 do 50-60 per gallon with easy low rpm ridding???:don'tknow:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
60 absolutely not... you may creep more near the 50's tho... i find the fz6 for the power it offers it is reasonably economical... i could manage a little over 300km per tank cruising in 6th gear and keeping it between 90-120km/h. i have not ridden other bikes (except fro a 110cc delivery bike:eek:) so my opinion may be biased...

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Way much more power on FZ. Ninja will be way much more flickable, cornering is much easier. On the FZ you have to lean your body more. After a while it will become second nature.
Throttle control will be challenging the first few weeks.

How will leaning your body help either bike? You push the handle bar to turn. Leaning does almost nothing.

What about fuel???I'm getting 65miles a gallon now with my 15t on the lil ninja...Will the FZ6 do 50-60 per gallon with easy low rpm ridding???:don'tknow:

Nope. I tend to get @ 35 MPG out of my FZs. I can eak out 45 if I don't ride hard and keep the RPM's down. But that isn't any fun. People get higher than me all the time but I don't think they are having any fun... :)

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org

i average 42-44 mpg. a few times i've dipped into the high 30's and VERY few times i've hit the upper 40's/lower 50's. and i think i'm about on average. there are a few threads on the gas milage. do a search and i'm sure you'll get more than enough info on this.

everything in life is a trade off. every now and then i think about getting a ninja for the gas milage. most of my riding is commuting to work (20 miles each way) and the ninja would save me some money. for that it seems a no brainer. but every now and then i like going on longer trips. this involves loading up bags and spending time on the interstate. i'm not sure i want to do those trips on a fully loaded ninja. so i pay more for gas to have a more comfortable "touring" bike. it's all in what you "need".

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How will leaning your body help either bike? You push the handle bar to turn. Leaning does almost nothing.

Nope. I tend to get @ 35 MPG out of my FZs. I can eak out 45 if I don't ride hard and keep the RPM's down. But that isn't any fun. People get higher than me all the time but I don't think they are having any fun... :)

Spot on! .... :thumbup:

cookies

Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon: does the 250 have 6 gears? if not, you get that! you get everything really.. the fz6 will keep up with the best of the 600 cc bikes, it's got more power than any other sport touring bike ( including the 650r ) but less power than the higher end 600cc bikes ( and it's not THAT big of a diff ) however i found out the other day that means nothing. i was in a group ride with a bunch of sv650's and i HAD to keep my bike around 10k rpms on the backroads just to keep up. anyways, everything is diff, the main thing would be the seating position, and the clunky gear shifting, at first it will sound like something is wrong.. then it's ok once you get used to it. Also if you wanna have REAL fun on this bike, and you are not used to it, it's kinda scary to sit between 8-13k rpms, the engine makes ALOT of noise. when i first got mine i was having the time of my life around 7k then a guy on here told me to push it past 7, the noise is normal the bike loves to get up that high.. so i got on the freeway a few weeks back and hit 12k rpms... the bike turns into a 95HP bike REALLY fast above 8k rpms. and comming from 25HP, it's going to seem ALOT more than what it really is, so dont get scared and hit the breaks! anyways long text is boring text, so enjoy :)

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to keep the lil ninja, and look for an FZ6 later this summer... The lil ninja is so cheap to own, I think I can have two bikes without to much effort...

The price of gas is making the lil Ninja worth her weight in gold... I only payed $1000 for her anyway with 2400 miles... I'll apply the same strategy for shopping for the FZ6... Be patient and look for the right deal with cash in hand... With $3500-$4000 cash, I know I can find a very nice 07+ FZ6...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to keep the lil ninja, and look for an FZ6 later this summer... The lil ninja is so cheap to own, I think I can have two bikes without to much effort...

The price of gas is making the lil Ninja worth her weight in gold... I only payed $1000 for her anyway with 2400 miles... I'll apply the same strategy for shopping for the FZ6... Be patient and look for the right deal with cash in hand... With $3500-$4000 cash, I know I can find a very nice 07+ FZ6...

Excellent idea! You can always sell the 250 if you decide you don't want to ride it anymore, once you have the FZ6. That bike holds value like no other!
I just asked myself if I'd still ride the 250 after few years of FZ6 ownership. While ex250 was an amazing bike, my answer would have to be no. It does get amazing fuel economy, but I carpool to work, so my bike riding is strictly for pleasure.. and I've been having more fun on FZ6 from day one.
I'm curious how you'll split your time between the 2 when you get the Fizzer.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I see the 250 for work, market, quick trips and such...

The FZ6 for highway rides, trip to the family house on the Mississippi coast (600 miles one way), and picking up chicks... :rockon: