Ojai ride + crash

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi6tc-9UF9w"]YouTube - Ojai... a bad ending to a great day.[/ame]

I am fine... just pissed about the bike... even though only plastics got damaged (miraculously).

Project restarted! :Sport:

Last edited:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the ending, but very glad to see that you're fine. Like you said it was a miracle it was just plastics and nothing else. Hope to see you back on the road again.

W

wrightme43

Glad your alright man. I saw your pics as well. That sucks, but really glad your ok.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Wavex,

Man, that video was heart wrenching to watch because I knew what was going to happen thanks to the thread title. Every corner I was thinking,"Is this the one?"

Glad you're OK. I take it you were wearing full gear at the time?

What happened? You were hitting tighter corners than that one. It sounded like you had a rough downshift that upset the bike's chassis and messed up your corner entry.

Fred

Last edited:
J

jsteinb95

damn....that sucks...glad to hear you're ok. Good thing you didn't go straight, right off the cliff.

What happened? were you spooked?

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that suxs!! you can fix the bike thou.. Glad you are ok!

gomd3

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you came out of it alright, if it wasn't for those stupid shrubs you probably could've rode it out. Keep safe, looked like the bike did a flip!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
David - I'm just glad you are okay.

Look at it pretty close, looked to me like you set up too late, didn't commit quick enough and fixated. One of those "AH! SH*T" moments.

Fred seem to have it right, the down shift wasn't as smooth as your others, did you chirp the rear wheel and up set the bike?

Looked like you almost had it at the end there.

Oh, nice cliff avoidance too!

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're okay man. Thanks for posting the video and thanks for all the replays - helps us to see how to react to a situation like that. Get that beautiful bike fixed!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good Lord! Another one!?!? So glad to hear you're OK!!! Talk to us... tell us what you could have done to avoid it. Were you getting your arse off the seat enough?

Please post some pics of what the damage was too. Nice to hear it wasn't a mess like the last one!

Thanks for sharing and again.... Happy to know you're alright!!! Take care!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, as far as I'm concern, it was still a great recovery. By the time you dumped the bike, you were pretty much almost to a stop. In my opinion, it was a great save by making the correct decision! That particular situation could have been disasterous. Meaning that a natural reaction to correct the turn in the soft gravel, or hitting the brakes at the wrong time could have meant major wipeout. I bet ya 9/10 riders wouldn't have the same outcome.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all... basically, I am really not sure why I decided the side of the road was a better solution than a good lean into that turn... very stupid split second decision which could have cost me a lot. I don`t remember target fixating on anything (or else I`d probably be down that 500+ feet cliff that was on the edge, behind that mount of dirt I rode for a while before being ejected from the bike), but I think it was lack of proper concentration and focus... we had been riding more aggressively earlier in the day, and I guess for a moment I thought I could relax... Bad decision.

That turn was nothing special, and even though I came in a 70mph (per speedo on video... unfortunatly youtube quality sucks), that turn was perfectly manageable.

Anyway, after a good scare and some cuss words, I am VERY happy with how it all ended... only plastics were damaged and I am 100% fine. Camera + gps are also 100% A-OK... don`t ask me how that`s possible, but it is.

I am very greatful.

btw, I updated the video link ^^^ for better quality... turns out nero mp4 converter worked better for youtube.

Last edited:

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear your alright. Don't worry about it too much. We all have had a bad day...and some of us will have another one unfortunately. So take care...everybody...

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I know EXACTLY what happened.

I watched the video and noticed the ORANGE SIGNS at around 5:10. Those forced you to SLOW DOWN for avoiding the side-dirt. That section took the aggression out of you, lowering your reaction time for the later turns at higher speeds. The crash happened at 6:15.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you walked away Wavex! but you said the plastics are messed up? Ooh, ooh, that means a "new" naked conversion? same headlight? something different? we want to know!

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex,

Man, that video was heart wrenching to watch because I knew what was going to happen thanks to the thread title. Every corner I was thinking,"Is this the one?"

Glad you're OK. I take it you were wearing full gear at the time?

What happened? You were hitting tighter corners than that one. It sounded like you had a rough downshift that upset the bike's chassis and messed up your corner entry.

Fred

Wearing full leathers (gloves, jacket, pants) + oxtar boots and Shoei helmet. The gear did its job as I am 100% fine, not a scratch.

I don`t think the downshift did anything... I think I was playing with my cam or gps or something like that, then looked up and was way too close to that corner, down shifted and instead of smoothly leaning into that easy turn, I made the wrong decision to use the side of the road. That thought lasted about 1/100 of a second until I realized how stupid I was... by that time it was too little too late and my only options were to avoid locking the wheels, avoid the cliff, and try to make it back on the road... for one moment in there I thought I had a chance to make it (and catch it on cam... that would have been insane), but unfortunately that did not happen either lol.