Oil smells of Gas!!!

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
To answer a few Q's

I haven't noticed any smoke but I really haven't been looking for it, I'll pay closer attention next time I start it. It's been sitting more then a week now so it would be a good time to start it and see.

Temp gauge seems to read normal.

I've only had the bike a short time, and a few hundred miles so only one oil change so far. Synth oil is too $$ to change more often then needed :(

I live in middle Tenn so we really don't have extreme cold. If it's sunny and and in the upper 30*'s, I ride (but mostly my FZ1) If I get a chance I'll ride the FZ6 instead this week.

FWIW: I've had leaky float valves on carbed bikes before, in fact, my old 1977 IT250 that I presently own, does. It's a little hard to start but other then that, as long as I remember to shutoff the petcok you'd never know that the float valve leaks. If I happen to forget and leave the petcok on, gas leaks out of the bowl vent onto the floor and also into the crankcase through the intake. (I know I misspelled pet****, apparrently this forum does not like the word pet****?? I guess I could call it the "Fuel tank shutoff valve"!!)

Thanx for all the info and opinions so far.

Phil

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you looked this bike over close? Any chance it has an aftermarket device on it to modify the fuel curve? (like Power Commander etc) I'll say NO.

Recap: You bought a used bike. You changed the oil on it, rode it 200 miles, pulled the dipstick and it smells of gas. How long was it sitting before you bought it? Please tell the whole story here. Thanks

Hint if the gas tank was half full when you bought it AND it was old and Stinky Gas, it would likely make the oil smell bad. Does it currently have 4.5 gallons of fresh gas in it?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the intake. (I know I misspelled pet****, apparrently this forum does not like the word pet****?? I guess I could call it the "Fuel tank shutoff valve"!!)

Thanx for all the info and opinions so far.

Phil

LOL! Petc0ck! :rolleyes:

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you looked this bike over close? Any chance it has an aftermarket device on it to modify the fuel curve? (like Power Commander etc) I'll say NO.

Recap: You bought a used bike. You changed the oil on it, rode it 200 miles, pulled the dipstick and it smells of gas. How long was it sitting before you bought it? Please tell the whole story here. Thanks

Hint if the gas tank was half full when you bought it AND it was old and Stinky Gas, it would likely make the oil smell bad. Does it currently have 4.5 gallons of fresh gas in it?

As far as I could tell, the guy had been riding it up to the day that I bought it. However, he did keep it outside under an open carport. He had only owned it for about 1 year. Before that, I have no info.

Well, let's see,,, a test ride, about 2 miles, when I got it home I took another test ride to the gas station,, then I put in fresh Mobile1 and a new oil filter. Raised the fuel tank inspected the general area and cleaned the air filter (I saw no evidence of any aftermarket gadgets,, PCIII or otherwise, or any problems). I have ridden it to work at least twice, 40 miles each way, so 160 miles, a few weekend casual rides,,, probably 40-80 miles each,, so another,, say, 200 miles. So it's on it's second tank of fresh fuel, since I have owned it.

I'll recheck the oil level when I get home tonight and give it a quick start to check for any trace of smoke.

If all this checks out, I may go ahead and change the oil again soon, I'd rather spend a few bucks on oil then find that I have trashed the engine running it on fuel-diluted oil.

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Good info here... thanks. Well, I changed my oil this weekend and discovered the same problem. At first, I noticed the viscosity was quite thin. When oil drained into the pan, it definitely smelled like gas.

So the consensus is fuel injector unit failure?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as I could tell, the guy had been riding it up to the day that I bought it. However, he did keep it outside under an open carport. He had only owned it for about 1 year. Before that, I have no info.

Well, let's see,,, a test ride, about 2 miles, when I got it home I took another test ride to the gas station,, then I put in fresh Mobile1 and a new oil filter. Raised the fuel tank inspected the general area and cleaned the air filter (I saw no evidence of any aftermarket gadgets,, PCIII or otherwise, or any problems). I have ridden it to work at least twice, 40 miles each way, so 160 miles, a few weekend casual rides,,, probably 40-80 miles each,, so another,, say, 200 miles. So it's on it's second tank of fresh fuel, since I have owned it.

I'll recheck the oil level when I get home tonight and give it a quick start to check for any trace of smoke.

If all this checks out, I may go ahead and change the oil again soon, I'd rather spend a few bucks on oil then find that I have trashed the engine running it on fuel-diluted oil.

If you ridden the bike through 2 tanks of fuel and 40 mile round trips to work and back with other rides, the engine is idling okay and is stable(no missing) with good acceleration and you're not burning oil I would say the bike is probably good to go. No blue or black smoke? It's a gasoline engine the oil in the crank case will not smell like fresh oil from the container. :D

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Good info here... thanks. Well, I changed my oil this weekend and discovered the same problem. At first, I noticed the viscosity was quite thin. When oil drained into the pan, it definitely smelled like gas.

So the consensus is fuel injector unit failure?

Based on everything you are telling us, my vote would be for a cracked or faulty injector.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2 cents: no conclusions can be drawn w/out "actual testing". At a minimum a fuel pressure leak down test and/or remove them and pressure them up looking for drips.

Who's to say its the fuel system? Meaning, what if you're plugs aren't firing so its not getting burned? Does that mean replace the injectors?

I'm just sayin you could swap out a bunch of parts and change nothing about the smell. If the bikes above still have the O2 sensor in use, its very likely it'd try and compensate for an injector leak. But who has complaints other than smell. Anyone?

Just curious, have any of you compared it to your Auto? Like said above, its not gonna smell of daisy's like its fresh from the garden.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Based on everything you are telling us, my vote would be for a cracked or faulty injector.

No - based on everything here; it'd be jumping to conclusions. FZ are not cattle and should be treated as individuals. :D lol

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you ridden the bike through 2 tanks of fuel and 40 mile round trips to work and back with other rides, the engine is idling okay and is stable(no missing) with good acceleration and you're not burning oil I would say the bike is probably good to go. No blue or black smoke? It's a gasoline engine the oil in the crank case will not smell like fresh oil from the container. :D

Another tid bit: if your bike has the catalytic converter (CAT), and its running Rich (too much fuel) the CAT will be making every attempt to re-burn the unburned fuel thus it will be VERY hot above and beyond normal. This is its attempt at detox of the the "said - raw gas" going through the engine.

Does that make sense?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another tid bit: if your bike has the catalytic converter (CAT), and its running Rich (too much fuel) the CAT will be making every attempt to re-burn the unburned fuel thus it will be VERY hot above and beyond normal. This is its attempt at detox of the the "said - raw gas" going through the engine.

Does that make sense?

Yes! Makes good sense! Thank you! I also agree anything without a true test is just speculation. Leak down tests, sniffer in the tailpipe etc. :D

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lastly -
If 1 of the 3 of you gets brave, its pretty easy to pull the air box and fuel rail. We pulled the the t/b and injectors off this bike and had it back together pretty quickly.

Be prepaired and get the right tools for the job and it'll go fast.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/37198-going-problem.html#post402346
p1040855w.jpg

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
No - based on everything here; it'd be jumping to conclusions. FZ are not cattle and should be treated as individuals. :D lol

Haha! I am just saying that would be my best guess based on my past experiences. I am not saying it is definitely the answer, and sure, there are a variety of things it could be.

My experience with a leaky injector is that the motor runs fine, there are no CEL's, nothing smokes or smells weird, the only real hint is oil that smells of gas. I would think that if he had a faulty 02 it would trigger a CEL, and if it were something as eggregious as a bad plug not fully igniting the fuel in one cylinder, he would likely hear the motor miss.

Regardless, it is something you want to figure out as gasoline in the oil will reduce its effectiveness.