oil drain bolt gasket missing?

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Did oil change a couple days ago with no problems. Today I decided to get some light reading on the service manual. I read the oil change part and discover that there's suppose to be an engine oil drain gasket??? When I changed my oil I don't recall seeing any gasket there. Did it fell off into the oil pan and I didn't know? Or did the dealer who did my 600 miles service lost it? Can anybody let me know if I'm suppose to have this gasket?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It will look like a flat metal washer. Was there a washer on your oil drain plug? :BLAA:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's probably still on the bolt. It most likely compressed so hard from torqueing the bolt back onto the bike, it will appear that the gasket and bolt is one solid piece.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
It's probably still on the bolt. It most likely compressed so hard from torqueing the bolt back onto the bike, it will appear that the gasket and bolt is one solid piece.

I'm going to check on that tomorrow. It's stored away at a local self storage not too far.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't recall seeing it. Could have dropped in the oil pan without me knowing or wasn't there in the first place. So everybody else have one?

If you have a nice machined surfaces on the bolt and pan, you may have a decent seal. The washer/gasket may have stuck on the pan and you didn't notice it. If you carefully inspect it you may see it between the drain plug head and the pan.
Yes everyone is supposed to have one. I have one and I keep a spare on hand. I believe in most cases, they are a type of 'crush washer' and they are designed to be replaced with a new one at every oil change. Though I don't. It also allows for an intermediary surface between the drain bolt head and pan so the drain plug can be turned more easily from it's sealed to unsealed position.
Is it leaking or weaping?
Hope this helps.

hoston1765

Reaction score
Visit site
Same experience with the first oil change on an 09 FZ6, no oil drain washer. Verified that there was nothing stuck to the drain bolt so concluded it was omitted on assembly. Picked up a couple at the dealer, $1.00 ea.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Never had a washer on my drain hole plug. Torqued to spec after every oil change and haven't lost a drop of oil in 43000 km. Guess I'll pick one up now that I know better. Thanks!

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
It's definitely meant to be there, but generally I only notice it's missing when their is 2.5 liters off oil is covering it :rolleyes:
Wouldn't worry to much about finding it again, just go out and buy a alu or copper washer and put it on.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did an oil change the other day. The washer was compressed and stuck to the engine. I almost couldn't tell it was there.

And what is with the 31lb torque spec? That seems ridiculous. I torqued it to 20 and that was plenty then torqued it a little more to 25 and that seemed like too much since the washer began to compress too much.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
This is something that is not worth worrying about. If your bolt is not leaking just leave it until the next oil change. Before changing the oil go to your dealer and get a couple of the crush washers.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a picture of the plug and washer. Notice the washer on the drain plug has a flat profile and the unused, new washer has a rounded profile.
There are many different washer types that are used. Generally the materials used are a softer than steel (aluminum, copper, fiber composite or nylon) or a crush washer. The crush washer has a rounded profile that conforms to the surface it's mating to as you tighten the drain plug. As I mentioned before it also allows for easier removal and also gives a better seal. So a fresh washer will have something to do with your torque specs. I've also seen a typical "O" ring used as a washer. The torque specs. will be different for an "O" ring. For me the more critical issue would be the mechanical aspect of stripping the engine casing/pan threads if you over torque them or you mangle the head of the drain bolt because it was seized to the pan. Of course another critical issue would be no oil in the crankcase/tranny. :eek:
You don't want to hear grit when you tighten the plug.
Just make sure you have clean mating surfaces when you tighten the plug. Wipe it with a lintless cloth. I also use my fingers because I can feel any dirt. :rockon:

Last edited:

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
As others have said it's not the most important. My first oil change I did a couple of years ago and there wasn't one on there from the dealer first service. I also didn't have one in the new filter box so didn't bother putting one. 5000 miles later no worries. When I changed the oil the other week there was a washer in the new filter box so I put it on this time.

I think it's probably better to have one so that when torquing the drain bolt, the washer gets crushed as opposed to damaging the engine casing in any way.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As others have said it's not the most important. My first oil change I did a couple of years ago and there wasn't one on there from the dealer first service. I also didn't have one in the new filter box so didn't bother putting one. 5000 miles later no worries. When I changed the oil the other week there was a washer in the new filter box so I put it on this time.

I think it's probably better to have one so that when torquing the drain bolt, the washer gets crushed as opposed to damaging the engine casing in any way.

Some filters actually come with a new crush washer?

I'm also one that has not worried about this thus far. Only done five oil changes, but have always simply torqued to about 25 without any leaking. I'm pretty sure my original washer is mated to the bolt head itself.

Scorp

opnwhlmnd

Adrenaline junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
Stop by a Honda car dealership and purchase several. They are exactly the same as the FZ6 and only cost $.20 each

Should change every oil change. It's a crush gasket and will give you a proper torque reading only on first use.

You don't want a steel oil drain plug touching the aluminum oil pan. Dissimilar metals find a way to bond to each other.

Why take a chance for $.20

DaweMD

Reaction score
Visit site
Guy's I have a question, I own a 2007 FZ6 and just did the first oil change, but I found something different. When i first drained and replaced the plug I re filled and discovered that i had put to much in so I removed the plug and drained a little out. It was than I noticed that there was a piece of metal under the screw causing it not to seal right, when i removed the drain plug again I discovered that there was no washer but a spring was there instead. I pulled the spring out with a pair of pliers and went to replace the drain plug but now it is to small.

It looks like the bolt was inside the metal spring. Has anyone heard of such a case?

Any feedback would be great.