oil drain bolt gasket missing?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guy's I have a question, I own a 2007 FZ6 and just did the first oil change, but I found something different. When i first drained and replaced the plug I re filled and discovered that i had put to much in so I removed the plug and drained a little out. It was than I noticed that there was a piece of metal under the screw causing it not to seal right, when i removed the drain plug again I discovered that there was no washer but a spring was there instead. I pulled the spring out with a pair of pliers and went to replace the drain plug but now it is to small.

It looks like the bolt was inside the metal spring. Has anyone heard of such a case?

Any feedback would be great.

It sound like there is a helicoil inserted into the original pan thread. They are generally used when a thread has been stripped. The hole must be redrilled and retapped for the helicoil insert. It sounds like you may have unscrewed your helicoil. Take the helicoil and your drain plug to an auto parts store and get a replacement. You may need a tool but keep in mind this was a shallow thread repair and you might want to get someone familiar with this type of procedure. How long was the helicoil?. If it spun out you may want to use some Locktite when replacing the helicoil. Sorry for your trouble but that sounds like what's happening...:(

Last edited:

DaweMD

Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds like what has happened for sure. I am hoping that the local Yamaha dealer may have some ideas and parts for repairing.

Thanks for the reply.

DaweMD

Reaction score
Visit site
What size helicoil would I be needing to put back in? Does it depend on the size of the drain plug? I looked up Helicoil on the net and that is deffinitly what I pulled out. I completely unraveled mine.

DaweMD

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help again guy's. Managed to find a helicoil kit at one of the local shops in the area. Just finished putting it back together and checking for leaks - all good.

Thanks again.