Novelty helmets & Harley Riders = Death

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once again, they are going down in bunches If this guy dies, this will be the 3rd rider this week. 4th in two weeks, 11 for the year around Vegas.

Interesting that the sportbike rider suffered only minor injuries wearing the proper protective headgear, versus the Harley rider. We just had one Harley go down three days ago riding two up, both died wearing a novelty helmet.

Motorcyclist Suffers Serious Injuries in Crash

Posted: Jun 04, 2010 11:31 AM PDT Updated: Jun 04, 2010 12:09 PM PDT
12596381_BG1.jpg

NORTH LAS VEGAS -- A man is clinging to life today after an accident involving two motorcycles on E. Craig near Interstate 15.
North Las Vegas police say the driver of a van was attempting to move into the lane of a motorcycle rider on a Harley Davidson. Police say that maneuver caused the motorcyclist to swerve into another lane in the path of another motorcyclist. Both riders lost control of their bikes.
The rider of the Honda was wearing protective gear and received some bumps and bruises. The rider of the Harley was wearing a novelty helmet and was rushed to UMC where he is undergoing emergency brain surgery.
"The reality is if you have a helmet and your head slides into the curb at 10 miles per hour at the end of the crash, you're going to be in much better shape then if you don't have a helmet on or one of these fake ones," said Sgt. Tim Bedwell, NLV Police Department.
Police say the driver of the van will likely be cited. So far this year, North Las Vegas has had four traffic deaths involving motorcycles.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We are so bloody vulnerable. We are soft tissue....we don't have an exoskeleton.

Sports injuries can wreak havoc and cause LIFELONG pain and disability. My cousin receives weekly injections in his knees and may one day not be able to walk as he had so many surgeries on both his knees one day they will wear to nothing.

And that was from the relatively low speeds and forces involved in basketball.....

Now add over 80 horsepower to the mix and shearing/impact forces that are MUCH greater......

We are involved in a dangerous past-time. Treat it with the respect it deserves. Don't push your luck. I myself was guilty of that for my first 2 years. I find this year I have been acutely more aware of the risks involved and the long-term affect they can have on your quality of life.

No sense getting in your jollies now then being miserable for the rest of your life, eventually hanging yourself from a rafter when you can't deal/cope with it.

And that is stuff that can happen from minor crashes. Paralysis and head trauma.....wayyyyy more easy to happen than most of us give it credit for very often.

I might one day get an open face helmet, if I ever buy a vintage bike. Speeds will be low and cornering non-existant, but I'll still be sure it covers the maximum it can. Or I might just stick with a full-face....I crashed once and took a nice gash to the front of my helmet....that would have been permanent scarring and damage if i was wearing a partial helmet.

So, be wary. And remember....soft tissue....

Madness.

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
why does one wear a novelty helmet, it makes very little sense.. why wear one at all if its fake?

ugh...

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
I think those who wear fake helmets do so in order to avoid being pulled over and given a ticket for not wearing a helmet. If they lived someplace that did not have a helmet law, most likely they would have a bare head, or just a bandana/ball cap/etc.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Its sad, but many Harley guys feel compelled to ride without a helmet. I have such a buddy who lives in Arizona, and I pray that he will see the light before it's too late.

I consider myself an ATGATT rider, and the beginning of Vegasriders post reveals the sportbike rider received minimal injuries while the Harley rider might not make it. Wear your gear folks... even if your state/ country does not require anything.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
My state (Illinois) does not have a helmet law. It makes me sad to see people riding without one. Many that do think they are exerting their "freedom," but it is coming at the cost of their own safety, which to me is a foolish decision.
I won't ride without All The Gear, All The Time.
(I feel naked without it!!) :BLAA:

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
On a side note: I pulled up along side a Harley today at a stoplight. The couple on the Road King both had novelty helmets on thier heads. I was wearing a modular with the visor up, chinbar down. The noise from his exhaust was deafening. I put my visor down to block the noise, and at the same time looked to see that niether had any kind of ear protection. She was trying to talk to him, but he couldn't hear her. When the light went green, I left quickly hopeing I wouldn't have to sit at the next light with them. I didn't. How do they continually subject their ears to that raquet?

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
I could never ride a motorcycle without a helmet, let alone all protective gear. They go hand in hand with the bike. I'm happy i feel this way. These guys on bikes without gear look plain stupid in my opinion. A bandana? C'mon!! Some have to learn the hard way.

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
the concern isnt so much about whether theres a helmet law or if they should wear a helmet or not... its about deciding to wear a helmet, which is making the smart decision, but deciding to wear a fake one..........!!!!!

its like deciding to buy a car with abs because its safer, but disconnecting the controller after you drive off the lot.. im baffled, completely

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Something I see all the time here in NM where we don't have helmet laws and it always confounds me...people riding around completely gearless, but with a helmet on the seat/helmet lock behind them! Why anyone would not wear their gear when they even have it with them I will never understand.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to ride with one of those half helmets, and it sucked. I was staying at a hotel for the weekend and my helmet was stolen. I wasn't happy because it was a really nice Icon. A buddy there had his 'spare' which I used for the ride home. I tried to use ear buds to help with the noise and wind but it really didn't help. It really made me miss my full face and the feeling it gives.

Last edited:

Twitch

Elite Pimp
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember when i first joined this forum. It was even before i bought my FZ and was still shopping. This forum is a big reason i bought an FZ. I saw how mature and helpful everyone is here and i knew this forum would basically be an extended warranty for me and my bike haha. But what really won me over was a post by someone i forget who tho that sounded somethin like this -

"Sometimes after work, my coworkers come out and see me suiting up with my jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet in 80-90 degree weather and just look at me like im crazy, but i know i have a much greater chance at survival."

again not the exact words but its threads like this that deff. promote riding gear in younger riders. Thanks for keeping up the standard guys ;)

p.s. I know wat its like to deal with people who wont wear gear. PA doesnt have a helmet license but my dad still wears those novelty helmets :spank:

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Reminds me of a dinner with coworkers. I put my helmet on the lock and walk in. My boss see me in my gear and goes "where is your helmet, young man?" And I see that she neglected to wear one when she rode her Harley there.

AutoXer

Reaction score
Visit site
Both riders lost control of their bikes.
The rider of the Honda was wearing protective gear and received some bumps and bruises. The rider of the Harley was wearing a novelty helmet and was rushed to UMC where he is undergoing emergency brain surgery.
"The reality is if you have a helmet and your head slides into the curb at 10 miles per hour at the end of the crash, you're going to be in much better shape then if you don't have a helmet on or one of these fake ones," said Sgt. Tim Bedwell, NLV Police Department.

This is actually the first time I've seen a new report talk about the difference between a real helmet and the fake stupid novelty helmets the Harley riders are so enamored with. Does no good to report "The rider was wearing a helmet when he crashed" as I see in most reports when in fact it was a useless decorative piece of plastic. Bugs me that it unfairly pulls up the death statistics for helmeted riders.

jZ

Ewhite6

Reaction score
Visit site
This a slight thread hijack but has anybody added a helmet lock to their bike, I just remember that i wasn't able to find an aftermarket one for my '04

:hijack:

ZaGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
First time I've seen that too, should be included in all reports, maybe even if the helmet was not certified...... there are still some non DOT/Snell lids being sold

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
This makes me think of the booth at a motorcycle show that has the novelty helmets for sale and the "DOT" stickers as well. I've never figured that one out.. why fake the sticker?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Helmets are compulsory in Australia. A lot of HD guys go without or wear those NAZI style German helmets, but they are supposed to have a "medical" reason for not wearing a helmet.

I think their "condition" is having no brains LOL