Noticing a trend in FZ6 Horsepower Obsession

What will provide the best real world performance for the FZ?

• Leave it alone, she's fine the way she is.

Votes: 225 49.9%
  • Exhaust, air filter, airbox mods that get us 5-10 hp increase ($200 per 1 hp increase).

Votes: 78 17.3%
  • Engine Swap with R6 for a 35 hp increase ($64 per 1 hp increase).

Votes: 23 5.1%
  • Suspension, everybody knows suspension is where it's at for real world performance increase.

Votes: 125 27.7%

• Total voters

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted swap but it seems kinda crazy.
I've been riding the twisties with a friend who's on a zx-6 and I don't see a huge difference in speed, i'm never behind and he's never riding my ass.

I wonder if changing anything drastic on the fizz is worth it. Maybe moding an r6 to be more tour friendly like the fizz would be eaisier. :confused:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I voted swap but it seems kinda crazy.
I've been riding the twisties with a friend who's on a zx-6 and I don't see a huge difference in speed, i'm never behind and he's never riding my ass.

I wonder if changing anything drastic on the fizz is worth it. Maybe moding an r6 to be more tour friendly like the fizz would be eaisier. :confused:

You're right, the general consensus is that the FZ6 is an awesome machine as is. Personally, I'm not even skilled enough to realize all that the FZ has to offer as is.

Scottn

Carbon Fiber Addict
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this as of yet, but, shaving weight off the bike is one incredible way to improve throttle response, and a feel of extra horse-power without doing a bunch of engine mods that decrease in reliability of a really reliable motorcycle.

I have heard that shaving 1 pound off is like gaining 1 horsepower.

I am a cyclist (bicycle) and shaving weight off a bicycle, or myself, is a great way of improving your strength to weight ratio, so in turn the same goes with motorcycles.

Just a thought...

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I see where you're coming from,but lightweight parts tend to be incredibly expensive.Wheels for example can make a hell of a difference,but cost a fortune.
Can this really be justified on what is essentially a bargain bike.

The 'N' is a lot lighter than the 'S',but isn't practical for a lot of people that do distance work.

Of course painting it black would increase performance dramatically :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Weight reduction does have a positive effect on HP. But, it is relative. The first thing to determine is your bikes power to weight ratio. Once that is determined, you can then mathematically calculate the amount of weight that needs to be lost in order to gain one HP.

When I say relative, this means you need to find out what your own bike dynos at for hp first. Yours will have different mods, you may be at a lower or higher altitude, etc... all mitigating factors.

This changes greatly per bike. The FZ6, the FZ6R and the FZ1 will all have a different end calculation for the amount of weight reduction needed to gain 1 HP.

All that being said, it is definitely not a 1 for 1 ratio. More like a 4 or 5 to one ratio. :D

opnwhlmnd

Adrenaline junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard that shaving 1 pound off is like gaining 1 horsepower.

It depends on if you are taking off sprung or unsprung weight.

Unsprung weight to sprung weight ratio is 8:1

Example ... removing 1 pound from your rear sprocket is like removing 8 pounds from your fuel tank.

Remember physics and angular momentum/inertia theory?

You won't technically gain any horsepower but it will take less torque/horsepower to move the lighter weight.

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd personally leave the FZ6 alone. However, for those wanted increases in HP..well, when you can max out the performance in the FZ6, (Most can't do this)but If you can, it's time to upgrade to a different bike unless you want bragging rights with a "FZ6". Otherwise a stocker FZ1 will be faster and cheaper...but not as cool:D I think the FZ6 offers some of the very best all around fun unless your looking for a pure performance racer.

Of course tires, suspension, and riding skill will rule the day on anything other than a straight away run...most times anyway.

Question ?
If you swap to a R6 motor..is it still a FZ6 ? Just say'in.

Of course,who doesn't want just a "bit more" if you can get it.:rockon:

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
To increase performance, I will buy a different bike that equates to the performance I am looking for. The FZ6 offers the performance I was looking for at the time I purchased it. Just my .02.

cookies

Reaction score
Visit site
can someone elaborate on suspension? it's a bike.. it has one spring under the seat, do you mean forks too? im lost.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
can someone elaborate on suspension? it's a bike.. it has one spring under the seat, do you mean forks too? im lost.

The simplest suspension mod on the FZ6 is simply setting the rear shock to the correct setting for you, you would be amazed at how many leave it at the factory setting not taking into cinsideration their weight or riding style, it actually does make a difference.

The more elaborate suspension mod is the front forks, either swapped or rebuilt.

Rebuilt usually means something like new ohlin springs and a different weight and/or amount of oil.

A swap is usually done with the older R6S forks, here is a good example from bd43: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/29543-r6-fork-install-another-one.html or in some cases R1 or R6R forks which has he advantage of not only better forks but also adjustability. Here is what I did with a set of R1 forks as well as links to some R6R swaps: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/32175-how-install-r1-forks-fz6.html

Hope this helps.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
We'll when i get my FZ6 this spring/summer (ASAP), i plan on keeping it stock as can be, with the exception of maybe suspension and exhaust. I'd say that if you want to buy an r6 engine off ebay for a couple grand why not just buy a good used r6 for a couple grand? as for me im getting an FZ6, if i wanted something that rode like an r6, i'd buy an r6.