Noticing a trend in FZ6 Horsepower Obsession

What will provide the best real world performance for the FZ?

• Leave it alone, she's fine the way she is.

Votes: 225 49.9%
  • Exhaust, air filter, airbox mods that get us 5-10 hp increase ($200 per 1 hp increase).

Votes: 78 17.3%
  • Engine Swap with R6 for a 35 hp increase ($64 per 1 hp increase).

Votes: 23 5.1%
  • Suspension, everybody knows suspension is where it's at for real world performance increase.

Votes: 125 27.7%

• Total voters

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Well yes but I think he was referring to the "light weight" standards I don't know why some 750cc bikes are in that category or why the triple is in the "middle weight" category being a 675. But if triumph calls it a middle weight then I will as well.

Tomato -- ToMatoe

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Well yes but I think he was referring to the "light weight" standards I don't know why some 750cc bikes are in that category or why the triple is in the "middle weight" category being a 675. But if triumph calls it a middle weight then I will as well.

Tomato -- ToMatoe

Well, he put CCs in - 600 to 750. And as far as I am concerned - middleweight refers more to amount of CCs, weight, etc.
And standard is just type of bike - typically naked, upright seating position.
Aside from supermoto and dual-sports - everything else within such parameters would be considered standard, no?

No bid deal really.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, he put CCs in - 600 to 750. And as far as I am concerned - middleweight refers more to amount of CCs, weight, etc.
And standard is just type of bike - typically naked, upright seating position.
Aside from supermoto and dual-sports - everything else within such parameters would be considered standard, no?

No bid deal really.

Thats exactly how I see it, as far as middle weight goes just like you but they class bikes weird I didn't know what the triple was "classed" as at first and would assume that it being a 675 would fit right along side of our fz's but for some odd reason triumph claims it to be a middle weight, maybe because of its power and weight?

Where I believe they use to go by cc's classing bikes, I think they mainly go by its power nowadays (complete guess on what I've been looking at like triumph calling the triple a "middle weight" and most people calling the shiver 750 a "light weight")

And yes tomato toMatoe aka it really doesn't matter but it's nice to be able to have bragging rights and being able to puff up your chest and say " yeah it's the most powerful bike in its class" LMAO!!!

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats exactly how I see it, as far as middle weight goes just like you but they class bikes weird I didn't know what the triple was "classed" as at first and would assume that it being a 675 would fit right along side of our fz's but for some odd reason triumph claims it to be a middle weight, maybe because of its power and weight?

Where I believe they use to go by cc's classing bikes, I think they mainly go by its power nowadays (complete guess on what I've been looking at like triumph calling the triple a "middle weight" and most people calling the shiver 750 a "light weight")

And yes tomato toMatoe aka it really doesn't matter but it's nice to be able to have bragging rights and being able to puff up your chest and say " yeah it's the most powerful bike in its class" LMAO!!!

Totally - all I always said and will say: "most powerfull in up to 650cc class"!

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
How is it most powerfull - street triple has more power and it is 675.

You're right. I would consider it a standard, but I fat-fingered the "6" and hit "7", but still, I hadn't considered the Street Triple, that one slipped my mind. With my intended 650cc limit would have "technically" excluded the 675, but to be fair, 25cc isn't that much bigger, but also the FZ6 has dyno'ed up into the low 90's too. MotorCyclist review.

Of coarse, the main bikes that were in my mind were the typical big 4 of Japan, most of which dyno in the neighborhood of 60-70hp, where as our FZ6 dynos around 85-90hp.

I think if we go with the 650cc limit, instead of the 750, then the statement is accurate.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
You're right. I would consider it a standard, but I fat-fingered the "6" and hit "7", but still, I hadn't considered the Street Triple, that one slipped my mind. With my intended 650cc limit would have "technically" excluded the 675, but to be fair, 25cc isn't that much bigger, but also the FZ6 has dyno'ed up into the low 90's too. MotorCyclist review.

Of coarse, the main bikes that were in my mind were the typical big 4 of Japan, most of which dyno in the neighborhood of 60-70hp, where as our FZ6 dynos around 85-90hp.

I think if we go with the 650cc limit, instead of the 750, then the statement is accurate.

Absolutely - I can't think of any other standard bike in up to 650 CC with more power then FZ6.

D

Dave.TX

Standard or sport-standard. I'd often refer to it as a standard with a sport bike engine. Not like the VMax, that thing is a beast but limited. When first shopping around I did take a look at the Kawasaki Z750. After reading some reviews and such I determined it wasn't for me. The FZ6 just stood out even with the Ninja 650R right there and looking really good.

But there's no replacement for displacement and I now ride a 1200. Get 3mpg less for it among other differences. It's nice riding 2 up and not having to downshift out of 6th gear to pass.

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add to some of the stories here on this particular thread. I myself am still a fairly new rider. I recently found my self riding with friends down great stretch of road with twists and long straights. We eventually came upon two other riders. One GSXR 750 and a stretched hyabusa purple. Light purple at that. Blahhh. Any how after passing them both leisurely I was repeatedly challenged by the busa in the straights. After I failed to maintain my ego I line up with the busa and he beeped three times and I let her rip. the busa had two bikes on me for what felt like forever. And then I began to pull on him with this amazing power. I soon realized there was a turn coming duhhh. I repositioned and screamed through the turn to look back and see him a tenth of a mile back. When he rejoined me. A light bulb came on and on the next curve to come up. I was now the bully After a few rounds of rinse lather and repeat he eventually gave me what I believe was a go on ahead me and my friend are embarassed maybe I should get a longer swing arm extension wave. The power commander hasn't been thought of sense.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add to some of the stories here on this particular thread. I myself am still a fairly new rider. I recently found my self riding with friends down great stretch of road with twists and long straights. We eventually came upon two other riders. One GSXR 750 and a stretched hyabusa purple. Light purple at that. Blahhh. Any how after passing them both leisurely I was repeatedly challenged by the busa in the straights. After I failed to maintain my ego I line up with the busa and he beeped three times and I let her rip. the busa had two bikes on me for what felt like forever. And then I began to pull on him with this amazing power. I soon realized there was a turn coming duhhh. I repositioned and screamed through the turn to look back and see him a tenth of a mile back. When he rejoined me. A light bulb came on and on the next curve to come up. I was now the bully After a few rounds of rinse lather and repeat he eventually gave me what I believe was a go on ahead me and my friend are embarassed maybe I should get a longer swing arm extension wave. The power commander hasn't been thought of sense.

Are you saying you kept up with a busa in a straight line?

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
ive ridden the k1200s bmw , just like it pulls from 0-100 , it will pull the same from 100-200km , and 200-300 km ,

the fz6 pulls great in third gear to redline (120 mph or so)
after that it doesn't wanna rip anymore so i never bothered to take it further , also any wind and uneven pavement and it wont accelerate past 120-ish MPH

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
ive ridden the k1200s bmw , just like it pulls from 0-100 , it will pull the same from 100-200km , and 200-300 km ,

the fz6 pulls great in third gear to redline (120 mph or so)
after that it doesn't wanna rip anymore so i never bothered to take it further , also any wind and uneven pavement and it wont accelerate past 120-ish MPH

I've only ever had mine up to 295Kph once, but it sure was fun..for the few seconds it was there...then I had my friends tell me I should have ducked behind the windshield..:eek:
I find myself WOT almost all the time on the wife's FZ6..I guess ~1/2 the HP will do that..:BLAA:

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted suspension if you were to do anything. I like mine stock.

I have entertained the ECU reflash mainly to get rid of the choppy throttle issue and maybe make the engine more efficient. I've been doing some research into it and it seems like it might be a good mod. Still not completely sold on it yet though.

Pagey

Tiger Boy
Reaction score
Visit site
wow far to technical for me, but here's my thougths...

I'm no mech/tech head just an ordinary geezer who loves bikes and has ridden for 20+ years.

If its broke it goes to the garage.

I modded due to this site (god damm you) for my own preferences

Scorp cans (sound)

BD43 headlight mod (safety)

Speedohealer (to keep my licence)

MRA screen (comfort)

Seat (comfort)

Heated grips (because I live in England)

I love my FZ the way she is, she's a more capable bike than I am a rider. I often look at other bikes to buy but then think WHY ??

I don't need extra HP as I have the BLUE FZ and we all know the blue ones have 99999999999hp Blah

Interesting thread though :thumbup:

chornbe

Reaction score
thepacepodcast.com
At the risk of sounding like a jerk... Hah! Like I really care about that! ;) ... I generally think that anyone who believes that almost any modern bike isn't powerful enough either can't ride or is some kind of an @$*&@)#. Do I like faster machines? Yes, of course. But nothing you're likely to buy (within a given class and if you're an even remotely educated consumer) could ever be considered "not powerful enough." :rockon:

JeffSez59

Reaction score
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like a jerk... Hah! Like I really care about that! ;) ... I generally think that anyone who believes that almost any modern bike isn't powerful enough either can't ride or is some kind of an @$*&@)#. Do I like faster machines? Yes, of course. But nothing you're likely to buy (within a given class and if you're an even remotely educated consumer) could ever be considered "not powerful enough." :rockon:

+1 Hit it right on the head

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Who give a F**K....just ride it till the wheels fall off. Modern 600cc motos are faster than any average vehicle on the road. If you want something fast ride a turbo'd busa pushing over 500hp.

You can put a slow rider on a fast bike and it will still be slow, but put a fast rider on a slow bike and they will still whoops your bum.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Who give a F**K....just ride it till the wheels fall off. Modern 600cc motos are faster than any average vehicle on the road. If you want something fast ride a turbo'd busa pushing over 500hp.

You can put a slow rider on a fast bike and it will still be slow, but put a fast rider on a slow bike and they will still whoops your bum.

so instead of upgrading to a bike with 35 more hp or so you suggest sticking with the FZ6 or jumping up to a turbo'd hyabusa?
:Flip:

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
In terms of commuting and normal riding FZ6 is a bloody powerfull bike. I notice that my city riding hardly ever needs more than 7k rpms and as for now I've seen 12k rpms twice or three times since I got this bike. And it's really enough. Just flip the throttle and you're already further away than any car etc.