Noticing a trend in FZ6 Horsepower Obsession

What will provide the best real world performance for the FZ?

• Leave it alone, she's fine the way she is.

Votes: 225 49.9%
  • Exhaust, air filter, airbox mods that get us 5-10 hp increase ($200 per 1 hp increase).

Votes: 78 17.3%
  • Engine Swap with R6 for a 35 hp increase ($64 per 1 hp increase).

Votes: 23 5.1%
  • Suspension, everybody knows suspension is where it's at for real world performance increase.

Votes: 125 27.7%

• Total voters

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
The only mod i've done is a smaller back sprocket. Wn i went to collect instead of tandard, they had 2 up and 2 down, i went for the smaller, hoping for longer legs.

Big mistake, the F6 is really well designed as an all rounder, and the "longer legs" just don't work, you don't have the torque at high end.

It's just such a well balanced bike, i'm fully with those who reckon improve your skills first!!!

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
The only mod i've done is a smaller back sprocket. Wn i went to collect instead of tandard, they had 2 up and 2 down, i went for the smaller, hoping for longer legs.

Big mistake, the F6 is really well designed as an all rounder, and the "longer legs" just don't work, you don't have the torque at high end.

It's just such a well balanced bike, i'm fully with those who reckon improve your skills first!!!

Now that you have the smaller rear sprocket, you can add a turbo and give it the extra air to stretch its legs through the gears.:D There is a guy's turbo FZ6 build on the other forum that he is just completing and has spent under $500, granted he got the turbo itself for free.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I may be wrong on this,but I,m pretty sure I read on here that the R6 motor wont fit,the mounting points are different.

Here's an '04 R6 and a FZ6 lump side by side for comparison.I suppose you could use the FZ casings and stick the R6 internals inside.

R6engine.jpg
FZ6engine.jpg

Though, TBH it looks like it would use the same mounting points! It seems it's the R6 that has the additional mountings :eek:

Last edited:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
actually, the FZ6 is rated at 98hp at the crank. on a rolling dyno, most people see 85-89hp at the tire.

I just looked at my application for title that was supplied by the dealer. It says SAE 124 HP for my 2008 FZ6.

What's the difference between SAE horsepower and the other measuring methods?

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Here's an '04 R6 and a FZ6 lump side by side for comparison.I suppose you could use the FZ casings and stick the R6 internals inside.

R6engine.jpg

No sir, those are carbs on top of that engine. That is older than a 2004. It is a 99-02 engine most likely or possibly a YZF600R engine.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I just looked at my application for title that was supplied by the dealer. It says SAE 124 HP for my 2008 FZ6.

What's the difference between SAE horsepower and the other measuring methods?

titled HP (ratings on the MSO) are usually inaccurate and often wildly off. My Saturn was listed at 30hp when it was actually 85hp. Disregard those numbers and get to a dyno if you really wanna know.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
No sir, those are carbs on top of that engine. That is older than a 2004. It is a 99-02 engine most likely or possibly a YZF600R engine.

I do believe those are FI. The throttle bodies of that vintage of the R6 motor use a CV-type slide and butterfly setup. New ones use a computer-controlled slide. (The FZ6 uses a simple throttle butterfly-only hence differences in the appearance and the operation of the fuel injection system).

You can see a fuel rail pressure regulator on the backside, and also the fuel lines are slip-on high pressure FI type.

Looks like Coil-On-Plug ignition setup as well too.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Oops! My bad !
I googled '04 R6 engine and it came up with that..
Didn't notice the carbs.I still reckon you could use the FZ6 cases if you built up a motor

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i will weigh in on this little debate!

Horsepower obsession is a "natural" thing, it is human nature to want more, and in some of us, the urge to have, or create "more" is stronger than in others.

It would'nt matter to some people, what it was with a motor in it, bike, car....lawnmower, some will just wanna make it "faster"!!!

Those that are more specifically looking for more horsepower from their FZ6, are not generally suffering from "R6 envy", they just wanna extract "more" from their chosen steed!

I personally agree that "going fast" is the combination of many factors, and it is obvious that if you can ride very well, and are prepared to ride hard enough that you greatly increase your chances of falling off, you are going to always have those days when you "ride rings around someone on a bigger bike"...

I also agree that Suspension is a major factor in "going fast", as a well set up bike, is always going to be quicker than a bike that is hard to get round corners, or get the powerr down quickly on corner exit, etc, etc...

Losing a few Kilograms yourself is also a very good way to go faster....you dont see any 100kg+ GP riders out there!

Re-gearing your bike is also another way of "going fast", shortening gear ratio's has the effect of giving you better drive out of corners...

As for trying to extract as many HP out of your FZ6, this will also contribute to helping you go faster, especially if you are looking to gain more than the extra 4-10hp available by putting on a free breathing aftermarket pipe, and air filter, adding a PCIII, or PC5, and re-tuning the bike for more hp.

If you decide to open the engine up, and start playing with big bore kits, Cam's, etc, or start throwing superchargers, NOS, or a turbo, at a bike, then the horsepower and torque gains, and, or characteristics are going to be changed more significantly!

Put the same rider on a highly tuned version of a certain bike, compared to a stock version of that bike, and no matter what their skill level, they are most probably going to be "going faster" than they were before gaining large mounts of extra hp, and torque via serious engine modifications.

I know that my own personal "Horsepower obsession" is part of a much larger, and more overall obsession to make my bike better, and better for me! The engine is the last of my considerations when thinking about "going faster".

I have been much more concerned with handling, weight reduction, ergonomics - ride postion, functionality of controls, etc...things like better shock absorption, braided lines, after-market rear-sets, handle-bar's, brake pads, lighter components such as exhaust, etc, etc...

I have a mate with an old z900, that has a fully worked, and bored motor that goes like stink! Over 120hp at the rear wheel! In a straight line, that thing hauls hard, but struggles around corners due to fact it has tooth picks for forks, old twin shocks, and a frame that flex's like licorice! But my god, it would be fun to ride, and judging by my mates smile, each time he gets off his bike, i reckon he is pretty happy with his situation!

So it's horses for courses....we all have different wants from our machines.

Wanting more HP doesnt mean you really want an R6!!!

And to the person who said you cant make the bike into something it is not, try and tell that to the guys and girls who rode in the FZ6 cup....for a commuter bike, the FZ6 was quite easily transformed into a pretty decent little race bike...getting around race tracks not vey far off the lap times of the supersport, or superstock 600 R6's, GSXR's, etc.....in the right hands!

:thumbup:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
you are right. My bad pwned myself. we so rarely deal with that generation of R6 at work I had completely blocked it from my memory. That CV thing is pretty gay though.

Does seem goofy! 2004-2005 models have them, 2006+ have ECU controlled slides (from what I see in the parts catalog). I am not sure why they use them on the R6 and not on the FZ6, my only guess is that the throttle bores are bigger on the R6 and they use the secondary slides for better/smoother control. Or maybe something to do with cams or other airflow differences between the two. *Edit* or it has somethign to do with the "finer" fuel control.

Last edited:

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Does seem goofy! 2004-2005 models have them, 2006+ have ECU controlled slides (from what I see in the parts catalog). I am not sure why they use them on the R6 and not on the FZ6, my only guess is that the throttle bores are bigger on the R6 and they use the secondary slides for better/smoother control. Or maybe something to do with cams or other airflow differences between the two.

the 06+ has YCCI

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I passed a VMAX 1200 the other day (and those things would SMOKE me in a straight-away) in some twisties.

The horsepower is enough for me, the true performance is you!

Type in Goldwing Dragon's Tail on youtube and watch the skilled rider take the dragons tail like a champ...on a goldwing....horsepower isn't everything. Once I know how to properly USE the additional horsepower, FZ1 for me....as for now, I am perfectly content with my 97 and a half horses to the wheel.

Now you could slap a turbo on the fz6....throwing that one out there. I don't recall seeing ANY turbo'd fz6's...ever. Not only would it be unique, creative, and original....but that would be down right BADASS.

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
My mods to this point 1. Puig touring screen 2. Yamaha comfort seat 3. Givi luggage 4. K&N air filter. 5. Givi engine guard
Nothing in that group of mods does anything for horsepower with the possible exception o the K&N.
Would I like more power-certainly, but obviously I'm not actively seeking it out. I've thought about performance mods-but I come back to having a completely reliable (years ago I turned good reliable Ford F250 into unreliable junk by hot rodding it) bike that already has more power than I ever will really use and it gets 40-45 MPG depending on how I ride it.
A good friend of mine has an R1. He has exhaust, a PC, K&N, a bunch of carbon fiber bits to lighten the thing. I routinely stomp him on my touring equiped FZ6. He even laughs & jokes about it. I rode his R1 on about a mile loop, and my impression was it was a great bike for the track. No way could I stand that ridng possition for an legnth of time.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Well, i will weigh in on this little debate!

Horsepower obsession is a "natural" thing, it is human nature to want more, and in some of us, the urge to have, or create "more" is stronger than in others.

It would'nt matter to some people, what it was with a motor in it, bike, car....lawnmower, some will just wanna make it "faster"!!!

Those that are more specifically looking for more horsepower from their FZ6, are not generally suffering from "R6 envy", they just wanna extract "more" from their chosen steed!

Wanting more HP doesnt mean you really want an R6!!!:thumbup:

First and foremost I agree with just about everything you said Wolfman, however, it seems there might be a percieved misconception about my original post. I never called the obsession into question, I believe if you own it and want to modify it go for it, God knows I am.

In addition, this thread was never about R6 envy, as I stated in the original post:
Like you, I dislike the, "why didn't you just get an r6?" question, there are too many reasons to list why I chose the FZ6 over the R6.

The only reason that I mentioned the R6 was that it seemed like the most logical bike to look at with regard to what the potential performance is for the FZ6.

As far as the suggested engine swap goes, I just happened to be surfing ebay and noticed how cheap (relatively speaking) a used R6 engine with fairly low miles goes for, which naturally led me to think, "hmmm, I wonder :sinister:"

Oh and by the way, if I were able to redo the poll I would add:
- Perfect your skills
- and lonesoldier84 weight to power ratio diet plan :D

Cheers

Last edited: