New FZ6 Owner - Multiple questions

nikhawaii

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

I am a new FZ6 owner (bike is not new it's a 2006) and a new member in this community. Just bought it, and would like to have your experienced opinions on a few items

- Bike stalls after being revved, even at operating temperature I rev it and it will stall 1/2 times. Sometimes won't start back again, need to wait like 30minutes.
- When revving quickly/accelerating quickly, I here a sound that is very similar to a valve clap (Bike has 16k miles)
- What maintenance do you guys think I should do before hitting the road

Many many thanks in advance!
Nik

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What's you hot idle RPM Nick? Should be about 1,300.

If not, the adjuster is port side, between the tank and frame, star shaped screw.

Do you know if the bike sat for any length of time? I'd suspect the fuel being old /foul.
I'd probably drain the tank and start with fresh fuel.

Do you have the owners manual for the bike? It has what's needed when, how to do it, etc.

Should you need it, PM me with an e-mail address as I have it as a PDF

Can you upload an audio / video recording of the noise and try to narrow down where it's coming from?

Tire age/wear, chain cleanliness/lube, brake fluid, coolant, brake pads, all should be inspected or changed for safety
(depending on if done before, at all, recently). A GENERAL going over with some wrenches would be a priority as well

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Nik,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not the expert but I'll ask for some info they'll need and make a suggestion. We want to get you out and enjoying that bike!

(Scott IS an expert - he answered while I was slowly tying up my list.)

The first question will be about whether and how long the like sat without being run. The likely problem is that the fuel went bad and deposited some varnish/gunk in your fuel system: filter, pump, injectors.The longer it sat, the grater the probability that you have stuff clogging the fuel delivery.

The second question would be about when this problem shows up. Are you able to ride it and the problem happens infrequently, or is it so bad/frequent that you haven't been out of the driveway.

So, I'm guessing that bike sat for a long time and you have gunk in the fuel system.Hopefully you changed the fuel in the tank - though that will not clear out gunk. If it runs at all I would guess the fuel pump is still running - at least marginally. If your bike will not get out of the drive and shuts down after a brief twist of the throttle, I would guess the filter is just about plugged. Or all of the parts could be compromised. For remedies start with fresh fuell and add some injector cleaner. A slight coating might get better. A bad coating will get worse and you'll need to do some disassembly and cleaning.

For maintenance suggestions - unless the previous owner did any of these items recently.

First - change all of the fluids: oil w filter, antifreeze, brake fluid. Check the oil level on the center stand and with the plug sitting on top of the threads, not after tightening down.

CHECK you air filter. The maintenance schedule says it should be replaced at 16,000 mi. You will have to lift the tank. While you're under there check all of the vacuum hoses for cracks or damage.

Check the tires. Replace them if worn out or if you see any cracks. Replace them or ride very cautiously if the four digit age code is more than 4-5 years old. The rubber get harder/less grippy as it ages. Set the air pressure using a good gauge, not the one at the gas station pump.

Check and adjust and LUBE the drive chain. Look for the recommended settings - 2" while on the center stand. The FZ6 requires a very loose setting compared to most bikes and will mess up the drive bearing if run too tight.

Check the brakes. Both wheel probably have plenty of pad remaining but check to be certain they are not dragging.

Check the front and rear shocks to see that they still have oil and don't bounce. The front shocks are undersprung for most riders. But if the seals failed and the oil is too low you will get no damping.

Consider changing the plugs. The standard plugs are suggested to be changed every 8 k miles. Iriduims will last longer.

Check and probably lube your clutch cable. The FZ6 clutch has a very hard pull and a rather narrow engagement zone.

This is just the basics.

Check back if the engine doesn't sound better after getting it running more smoothly.

Good luck!

Chris

nikhawaii

Reaction score
Visit site
Scott & Chris, thanks so much for the quick replies and all the info!!

As per your recommendations I will flush the fuel tank this Saturday. I will also check/replace air filter & plugs for my sake.
I will also check/adjust RPM to make sure it runs 1300 at operating temp.
Once I have these two things sorted out, I will install my GoPro and film the clacking sound when accelerating.

I do believe the bike sat for a bit. I picked it up at an auction so there is no way to know for sure, but I believe at least 4-6 months.

Once again, thank you for the information, have a great week-end and I will keep you guys posted during the week-end of the outcome.

Nik

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chris noted a whole bunch more than I did, so you have a pretty good list.

One thing, IME is NOT to use iridium plugs. They do wear (gap increases over time / mileage) as I've experienced it myself.
When I changed out the OEMs, they looked great(maybe 8K miles-forgot). I replaced with iridium's, (didn't feel any change at all).

Pulled them to check 5-6 miles later (chasing a vibration), gaps opened up significantly, one, a bit BEYOND spec's.

IME, stick with the stock plugs.

Quote: " film the clacking sound when accelerating" is very likely your drive chain NOT being maintained, lubed, adjusted correctly...

(Thank you for the kind words Chris, just a back-yardian with a garage!)

10K mark jabbering too!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum Nik!

All fore mentioned items are good to check.

Also the red kill switch on the FZ6 has been a problem on some bikes giving intermittent behavior.. Try to nudge it a little while bike is idling to see if maybe the contacts are intermittent. They can fail at a specific vibration which would emulate what you're experiencing.

I agree it's probably a fuel issue but check the kill switch. :)

nikhawaii

Reaction score
Visit site
Checking back in!

So I spent the day playing around with it, and it runs great! Flushed the tank, filled up with fresh supreme gas along with some injector cleaner. Adjusted the idle. Bike runs great, no more noise, I think the noise I was hearing was bad gas being ignited like a pinging noise.

Took it for a 20 minute ride and noticed two things tho:
1. When I was stopped at a red light, noticed the temp. gauge was slightly over half. Pulled in a parking lot to grab a coffee, and 5 minutes later I put the ignition on to a blowing fan and temp. bars all the way to the top! I left it there for about an hour and drove it straight home after (which is 5 min away). I checked at the coolant level and it was exactly between Min&Max.
Suggestions?

2. I noticed that the throttle gets stiff intermittently, and by stiff I mean I can literally pull it half way and it would stay there...I tried pulling the handle away from the bike thinking maybe it was just pushed in but didn't work. Suggestions?

Thanks a lot guys!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Checking back in!

So I spent the day playing around with it, and it runs great! Flushed the tank, filled up with fresh supreme gas along with some injector cleaner. RUN REGULAR FUEL, THAT'S WHATS CALLED FOR.. Adjusted the idle. Bike runs great, no more noise, I think the noise I was hearing was bad gas being ignited like a pinging noise.

Took it for a 20 minute ride and noticed two things tho:
1. When I was stopped at a red light, noticed the temp. gauge was slightly over half. Pulled in a parking lot to grab a coffee, and 5 minutes later I put the ignition on to a blowing fan and temp. bars all the way to the top! DID YOU LEAVE IT RUNNING WHILE IN THE STORE?

I left it there for about an hour and drove it straight home after (which is 5 min away). I checked at the coolant level and it was exactly between Min&Max. IF IT WASN'T LEFT RUNNING, CHANGE THE COOLANT, (TAKES MAYBE 1/3 OF A GALLON-I USE PRESTONE PRE-MIXED) .

Suggestions? ALSO, CHECK THAT YOUR RADIATOR CAP IS CLEAN AND ON FULLY. THEY RARELY FAIL BUT IF DIRTY, NOT A GOOD SEAL, WILL CAUSE ISSUES. IF NOT ON FULLY, IT WON'T DRAW COOLANT FROM THE RESERVOIR.

WITH THE ENGINE COLD, REMOVE (AND CLEAN) THE RADIATOR CAP (WHILE ON THE SIDE STAND) AND CHECK THAT THERE'S COOLANT TO THE VERY TOP EDGE OF THE RADIATOR.

CHECKING THE TIGHTNESS OF ALL RADIATOR HOSE CLAMPS SHOULD ALSO BE DONE AS THEY DO LOOSEN OVER MANY HEAT CYCLES AND YOU WILL LOOSE COOLANT (SLOWLY BUT SURLY).

2. I noticed that the throttle gets stiff intermittently, and by stiff I mean I can literally pull it half way and it would stay there...I tried pulling the handle away from the bike thinking maybe it was just pushed in but didn't work. Suggestions? FIRST I WOULD CHECK THAT THERE IS SOME PLAY IN THE CABLES, (WHERE YOU ADJUST THE IDLE. IF TOO TIGHT THEY'LL BIND.

*LOOSEN THE ADJUSTER SCREW SO THERE'S JUST A LITTLE BIT OF PLAY. IF THAT IS LOOSE, YOU CAN PULL THE CABLES AND LUBE. ALSO CLEAN THE HANDLEBAR AND THROTTLE TUBE.

Thanks a lot guys!

See above in bolded ^^

Lube the clutch cable too, it'll make the pull much easier...

You never answered if you have the owners manual, do you?

Last edited:

nikhawaii

Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, I do not have the user manual, even checked under the seat but only found some tools. If you can send me the PDF that would be great.

I worked on the bike today and succesfully resolved the sticky throttle by loosening the cable a little.
I also flushed the coolant, put in new Prestone 50/50 and went for a quick ride to let the engine warm and I am now second guessing myself regarding the overheating. When I ride, temp. Is either at 2 or 3 bars. I stopped at a gas station to adjust the tire pressure and I let the bike run for 5-7 minutes after which it went to 4 bars and the fan kicked in. When I left, went back to 3 bars almost immediately. Got home and as I was parking, fan was running. Turned the bike off, put contact back again and fan would engage right away with full bars(engine off). Are the bars maybe always to the top when the ignition is on and its not really overheating?

Thanks!!

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
If you get 2-3 bars while riding, it sounds OK. But the fact that temp shoots up when stationary has a lot to do with ambient temperature. What is your outside temperature during those scenarios you mention?
Also how does your radiator look visually?

nikhawaii

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Pujazuba,

Radiator looks fine, I do not see any dings or any leaks. I live in Hawaii so it's always the same temperature, around 29C/85F (+/- 2).

Thanks,
Nik

Fawlty

Reaction score
Visit site
Are the bars maybe always to the top when the ignition is on and its not really overheating?

Thanks!!

No, normally the bars should not be showing maximum with the ignition on and engine off. They do go up to the top when you switch on the ignition and then should revert to the actual engine temp. In your temperatures in Hawaii it would be normal to go to 4 bars after 5-7 minutes idling, following a run. My fan kicks in on 4 bars and quickly takes it down to three bars. When you got home and parking, did you notice four bars as well as the fan running? It would be normal for the fan to kick in immediately after turning the ignition back on,if the fan was running when you switched off.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, I do not have the user manual, even checked under the seat but only found some tools. If you can send me the PDF that would be great.

I worked on the bike today and succesfully resolved the sticky throttle by loosening the cable a little.
I also flushed the coolant, put in new Prestone 50/50 and went for a quick ride to let the engine warm and I am now second guessing myself regarding the overheating. When I ride, temp. Is either at 2 or 3 bars. I stopped at a gas station to adjust the tire pressure and I let the bike run for 5-7 minutes after which it went to 4 bars and the fan kicked in. NORMAL, TURN IT OFF! THERE'S NO REASON FOR IT TO RUN

When I left, went back to 3 bars almost immediately. GREAT-NORMAL

Got home and as I was parking, fan was running.HOW LONG DID YOU RIDE TO GET HOME/ HOW FAST
Turned the bike off, put contact back again and fan would engage right away with full bars(engine off). Are the bars maybe always to the top when the ignition is on and its not really overheating?

Thanks!!

PM me with an e-mail address to send the manuals to.

The FZ does not have alot of extra voltage, (IE, one LB headlight).

Leaving the engine running for no reason is hard on the charging system, now the fan IS KICKING ON (making it worse charging wise) AND your heating up your engine for no reason.

I don't have "bars", so the "norm" for that, IDK. Sitting in traffic, especially for awhile WILL obviously kick on the fan.
Sitting / running getting tires aired up, DON'T!

We don't know how far or fast you went after the initial fan kicking and you got home. You may have simply not ridden far/fast enough to drop the temps.

IMO, ride to wherever your going, turn off the bike.

**Do your riding / PARKING -ENGINE OFF, as such and report back how it behaves.

If there IS an issue, it's likely NOT a thermostat (from your posts), but could very well be the radiator cap not pressurizing.

Besides an auto parts store testing it, once your bike is to temp, squeeze the large hose to the radiator. It SHOULD BE HARD.
If it's NOT, soft, you have a leak in the system not allowing it to pressurize (most likely the cap).

My S2, the fan VERY RARELY comes on. It kicks on about 210F but it's rare I ride in heavy traffic, (temps in Florida similar to yours, actually hotter now in summer.)
My normal operating temp is roughly 172 - 180 F

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Two or three bars is usual for me. Occasionally hits four bars stuck in traffic on a hot day, don't think I've ever seen it while riding on open road.

The only time I've seen max temp gauge was after riding through traffic on a hot day, shutting down to use a cashpoint, then it maxed out on start up. Cleared to four bars in a couple of seconds, back to three with some proper airflow.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
The coolant temp will often rise after the engine is turned off while parking the bike.

Nothing to worry about. Just key off instead of using the kill switch to prevent the fan from running down the battery.