New to forum...Hi! Help needed :)

lurch676

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey y'all, my names Lurch and I've decided to join up, I'll be honest, mainly because I'm gonna need some help with a 2003 FZ6 my partner and I just bought.

I went and picked her up the day before yesterday. She's a lovely looking bike, but I think the seller did us over. I wasn't able to get to see the bike till it was nearly dark (public transport and over 150 miles away). I checked her over as much as I could there (fork seals, headstock bearings, swingarm bearings, wheel bearings, chain - seemed a little loose[perhaps I should have taken note of this], all electrics work fine and the engine ran sweet and steady idling at 1260 with no knocks or bangs when running, and returning smoothly and quickly when revved up).
Paid £1800.00 for her (they wanted £2200 - another sign I should've picked up on) with 1 months MOT and 5 months tax. The seller is someone I have mutual friends with on the rally scene but it was a fleabay purchase.
Riding her back she seemed smooth throughout the rev range (apart from clunking into 1st gear but I'm used to that from most of my bikes lol, even down to the Goldwing!), and had no shortage of power; had some asian idiot in a Mercedes sport car trying to rile me into racing him up the M1 and she powered through to well over the tonne - WELL over the tonne really quickly).

I did notice a slight knocking when putting her under load but it disappeared when cruising around 90mph so I put it down to the slack chain. More fool me.
The knock appears when pulling away or accelerating away, and isn't consistent with engine revs, but with wheel speed.

Well, I work as a motorcycle mechanic, so I thought that anything that needed doing could be done by me anyway, so whatever happens, it was a good deal. Took her into work today and noticed the fork seals were leaking (not really an issue, just annoyed they pulled the wool over my eyes), and checked the sprocket carrier. Wobbly doesn't describe it.

So out came the back wheel. Thought I'd check the cush drive rubbers and the sprocket carrier bearing and hey presto, sprocket carrier bearing is almost solid. "Fantastic" I think, grab the code off the bearing and pop down our local bearing dealer. £20 later I've got new sprocket carrier/wheel bearings and I'm walking back to get back to work.
Put the new sprocket carrier bearing in with the press and grease up the needle roller bearings. Both the wheel bearings are absolutely fine so I just cleaned everything up and put it all back together. (Who's idea was it to put those fiddly feckin spacers in there?!)
So! Everything back together and I notice the chain has tight spots. I tension the chain to the tightest point on it, and do the wheel alignment, thinking that the new bearing would cure the clunking. Gear up, start the bike, roll her down the ramp outta the workshop, pull up the road literally 25 feet, turn around, back into the workshop, gear off. The clunkings worse; Louder and I can really feel it through the pegs. So, that didn't work.

I pull the front sprocket cover off and put the bike in gear (on centre stand, ignition off) rock the wheel back and forth looking for play in the output shaft, there's nothing, so it's not the bearings there, nor main bearings. I'm scratching my head looking at the sprocket when it dawns on me. I know what it is!

I rolled the bike back down the ramp and got a workmate to come with me whilst the cover was off. Pulled away up the hill at walking speed and my mate confirmed that the chain was trying to lift a link every now and then on the front sprocket, then dropping back down causing the clunk. Huzzah, our cheap bike's just cost another £100 for new chain and sprockets (X-Ring gold chain and standard sprockets - I don't want to do more wheelying like earlier today) and ordered new filters and fork seals at the same time (they joys of working at a garage is I get tax free parts :D

So it may sound like I've cured it, but I want to know if anyone can think of something I may have missed, or something else it could be. I've ruled out it being in the engine/gearbox because it doesn't correlate with the engine speed, so I basically put it down to sprocket and chain, or brakes (not much else it could be I think) and can't find anything wrong with the brakes.

The new parts come on Tuesday, so I've slackened the chain off again and she still clunks a little, but she's rideable, just a little noisy.

I'd not ridden many Yamaha's before (dragraced a TZR125, and rode a 535 for about a year - of which i have a grand total of 3 pictures lol) so I was really impressed with the speed, acceleration, smoothness and otherwise general "good-ness" of the Fazer.

Are there any points I should be aware of, or should pay special attention to with the 2003 model (which is a pain to find parts for because everyone thinks 2003 is an FZS 600) or any recalls etc?

Look forward to having a good time in this community and getting know y'all, and hopefully hearing from some of ya about my problem.

I'll get some pics up soon.

Lurch.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum! You'll have fun here and it sounds like you've got good mechanicals under your belt!

Every time you talk about gearing up to ride I keep thinking you guys in Nottingham look like this! :p :rockon:
_49732800_jousting_04.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
true ^^ jumpy chains sound like the bike is doomed! You should be be good with a new one! DO NOT set it tight!!!
They hummmm best with a loose well oiled chain! Loose as in at the Max limit.

Hopefully the fork seals are an easy fix for you! Maybe just clean the dirt out and see if they seal up? But they are old!

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to a fellow Notts rider!

I've had my '05 since Easter, 44k miles, £2200 from Arnolds Yamaha in Burton. It came with a new chain and sprocket so can't complain that I've had any problems. Strangly, checking daily in 1000 miles it didn't need the chain adjusting at all.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 likes 2" of total up and down chain adjustment at its taughtest point and lots of lube on a clean chain.

Also, the manual calls for approx 72 ft lbs of torque on the rear sprocket (6 bolts), which is way too tight. Their locking nuts, 35 ft lbs is generally plenty of torque.

As Randy also mentioned, cleaning those seals with either 35 MM film or Sealmate:

Fix Leaking Fork Seals With | SealMate.net may fix your seals.

Sounds like you pretty much got everything else covered.

Please post your results/fix and Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

PM sent also...

Last edited:

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lets see a pic.....This site is dedicated to the 04-09 model FZ6(S1 04-06 S2 being from 07-09) but lots of gearheads to help with your general questions...not so sure you'll find too many others with your model bike here for specific queries....

Congrats on the new bike anywho....:)

Last edited:

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
even though you say it's not engine/gearbox related, i think it wouldn't hurt to change the oil.

tosh23

Reaction score
Visit site
I too have had trouble with the chain, The noise comming from the front sprocket area was something that I havent heard on any other bike, I understand that they whine due to "square" gears no con-caved. It sounded like a really dry fubar main output bearing, fearing the worst that the previous owner
had the chain too tight for many many miles... It turned out that the chain was jumping on the plastic runner thats on the swingarm. Ive replaced the chain (did o ring and sprockets) from busters £70, Took it for a test ride and all noise has gone. I think that because the chain lives soooo loose on the bike compared to sports bikes and the exhaust is so quiet that you do hear every little thing...
Please note, chain tension is 45 to 55mm of slack when the bike is on the centre stand. Thats what the good book says..
Good luck and ride safe...Tosh

lurch676

Reaction score
Visit site
226702_340470982745504_643369075_n.jpg

That's the bike! Thanks for the welcome guys :D

Hopefully the new chain will cure it. She's having a full service on Tuesday when I put the new sprockets and chain (X-Ring), she's had new bearings and she'll have new forks. Fingers crossed that'll make her tickety-boo :p

Lurch.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No more pain to find parts now...may be registered as an 03..but its the 04 model year in terms of ordering any parts. Have fun!

lurch676

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, sorry for not keeping you guys up to date; I fitted new chain and sprockets, filter change, oil change and front forks, and I've not really been off her since. clocked up 67 miles in the inner city in Nottingham!
Plenty of motorway miles and even more twisty's in the peak district. the knocks entirely gone (it was the chain and sprockets). set the chain at 2" no play no knocks no whirring. Awesome! Wasn't able to put the retaining clip back on the front sprocket so I'm keeping an eye on the threadlocked sprocket nut.

proper happy! (and the missus is too, but she hasn't ridden it since I fixed it, just been a pillion lol - the bikes better than mine lol)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I love success stories! Always a sense of self satisfaction when you can wrench it yourself. Good job!

lurch676

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it's been a loooong while since I posted. We racked up around 20,000km on the bike with daily riding, some commuting, and some touring around the UK, and absolutely loved every bit of it. However she is not how she use to be... I noticed the picture I posted above his disappeared (I'm guessing hosting?) so here's how she was when I got her;
clean.jpg

On July 11th I was riding to a friends house on her (when I would normally have been riding my FJ11 rat) with a backpack full of tools and a fuel pump for an NTV650. I was in the right hand of two lanes approaching a roundabout when a woman in a corsa pulled into my line right in front of me nearly clipping my front wheel. I backed off and dropped into the left lane before the roundabout, as we left the roundabout (both going the same way on a dual carriageway) she pulled back across straight to the side of me without even looking - scared the crap out of her passenger then as I dropped back again and tried to get passed her, she went to overtake the car in front of her and forced me into oncoming traffic. The roads a 40 limit and I was doing about 35, the car that I hit was doing about 40mph. I managed to get the bike sideways kinda hoping that it would spin me round away from the car - which kinda worked; I went flying, flew through the air with great velocity! But not before the car had pinned my leg to the bike, put the brake lever into my ankle (through my boot) and then dislocated both hips. I span in the air and hit the floor on my front about 30feet from the bike - I honestly don't know if I slid, or landed and stopped. I busted my right knee, dislocated both hips, broke my ribs and sternum, before or as I landed. Once I'd landed, the backpack landed on me and shattered 3 vertebrae (L1, L2, and L3) in my back. I'm so feckin glad I was conscious or the bloody drivers would have killed me... They wanted to remove my helmet first until I told them not to, then they wanted to pull the bags straps off my arms, so I told them to cut the straps and slowly lift it off me. It later turned out I had about 18kg of tools - hammer, spanners chisel, and the fuel pump. I was totally aware of what was going on and knew that I'd broken my back - the pain I was in was worse than any sciatic pain or muscle pain I'd ever had, and I've been tasered! I could feel my legs moving about behind me but I wasn't controlling them and I didn't know where they were. I was put on morphine drip straight away (which was nice :D ) and taken on a split board, on my front, straight to Nottingham's Q.M.C. - who I have to say were amazingly prepared. I was sent straight through to be scanned and then prepped for surgery explained what was happening (they were going to take parts of higher vertebrae to replace missing bits of L1, L2, and L3 and then fit 2 rods and 8 pedical screws from T12-L5). I lost the use of my left lower back, left glute, left thigh and have severely reduced use of my calf. I've recently been able to start walking again but have otherwise been wheelchair bound since the accident (not being able to excercise because of my leg means that physio is limited for my back,and because of my back the treatment and physio is limited for my leg... just my luck!) I adapted a 125 with a velorex sidecar (With the ability to take the tub off and carry luggage or a smaller cc bike on the bed and frame) and traded my FJ1100 rat-fighter for a reliant trike - just in case haha. I was able to ride the sidecar well before I could walk - it had a hand operated shifter with the clutch there, so was really easy to control. I chopped the sidecar off after my first solo ride 101 days after the accident. I took my mates bike out (a ditched 125 rat so not too much problem to fix should I have dropped it) and fitted the hand shifter off of the sidecar onto it. I was well chuffed I could still balance - I forgot his bike couldn't handle speedbumps to well though and absolutely wrecked my back for a couple of days after.

Anyway... way off topic (or on topic if this counts as a re-introduction after a life-changing incident?) so the Fazer came out of quite badly. She was a Cat C write off based on a "Visual inspection" where the circled the marks on the tank that were already there and wrote "bent frame". I'd had the bike at home for a couple of weeks before the insurance took it so I knew the frame was already straight and it's just the subframe (which is currently at £20 for one on eBay!)
fazer3.jpg

the forks and headlight stay (£100 and £30 on eBay)
fazer1.jpg

She needs a new rear wheel - there's no getting around the huge hole! And a swing-arm.
fazer4.jpg

And both footpegs and levers, and the sidestand (no idea....)
faer2.jpg

All in all - a fair amount of work to do for someone who can only walk without crutches on a really good day (or really inebriated)! But I bought her back all the same - the insurance valued her dirt cheap so it would rude not after taking a payout :p But I'm wondering whether I can be bothered to put the time, effort and money into restoring her to former glory, or whether I should bung on a new subframe - fit the R1 tail end I have laying around, fit some new fork stanchions, straight bars and a "fighter" headlight and matt black her for now until I'm in a position where I can make a better decision lol.

Anyway - if there's ONE thing you take away from this post let it be this; If you have a top-box, put it on the bike and use it...the contents of your backpack literally CAN kill you!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey friend, glad to hear that you're recovering. Sorry about the accident. That sounded pretty gruesome.

Chris

lurch676

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! It's taking time! And there's no need to apologise - s#!t happens and we dust ourselves down and carry on :p It wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but it definitely wasn't the worse looking accident I've had - the worst part for me was seeing the effects of broken sternum at the front and broken ribs round the back - Flail Chest is not something I ever want to see again. I'm sure you're meant to learn from your mistakes but I'll be back on the Fazer (as soon as the missus lets me - took a lot of convincing to let me buy it back from the insurance lol)

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Think your first investment needs to be some of these mate:

97217af59ffd4ff381e2ce04913d5a28.jpg

Glad to hear you're on the mend.