New Bike!

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't planning on selling my FZ6 for a while. In fact, I was going to do a naked conversion and stick with that for a while, and eventually move up to the liter bikes. However, I stumbled upon two great deals: one excellent offer for my FZ6, and an opportunity to purchase one of three liter bikes for a great discount.
My brother is a mechanic and his boss is a huge motorcycle aficionado. His friend owns a small motorsports dealership that just acquired Honda as part of their sales fleet. They have always had Kawasaki and Yamaha in the past though. My brother was in the market for a new motorcycle (he has since purchased one as well!) so I went shopping with him and was told we would get a nice discount if one of us purchased a bike there, or an EXCELLENT deal if we BOTH purchased a bike there - the owner wanted to get his name out there.

So I test rode a 2013 FZ1, 2012 CB1000RA, and 2013 Z1000. I loved them all but only one fit the bill just right for me...

CB1000RA after the test ride.
CB1000R_zpse07882d2.jpg

I absolutely loved the looks but wasn't sure if I loved the feel. It is shorter than the FZ6 and FZ1 and my tailbone kept hitting the "bump" in the passenger seat. It is a very narrow bike though and I liked the way that felt. It had a very sensitive throttle input due to a nice even torque-band. A good thing for most people, but for me, it doesn't suit my riding style. I like a torque band near the top end so I can keep throttle inputs smoother in the lower end. The ABS was a huge selling point for me, but in the end decided it wasn't a deal "braker" to go with or without it.

I don't have pictures of the Z1000 because I forgot! I didn't like it much. Gorgeous bike (as they all are, really), but the seat forced me forward even when cruising slowly or sitting idly at a light. If I tried to slide back to give myself more space from the bars and my legs a little longer reach, it forced me forward inevitably. It felt somewhat cramped as well. I am 6 foot 3 at 210 pounds, so I like wider, bigger, longer bikes.

Ended up going with this beauty!

FZ1-2_zpsf1fcb17d.jpg

FZ1-3_zps1fe283d3.jpg

I've put 300km on it so far and I love it to death! During the test ride, I just had a huge smile on my face the entire time. Don't get me wrong, the other bikes did the same thing (that's what happens when you go from 90hp to 120-140), but this one just made me feel right... just right! The seat was as forgiving as the FZ6 - comfortable enough for a long trip, didn't force me forward or back. Throttle input was calm in the low end and hyperactive in the high end - yay! Looks to kill, especially since I could already visualize all the mods possible with it. Since bringing it home, I have already ordered all the mods I plan to do this summer. Over the coming winter I will probably do even more!

So if you are wondering what my brother purchased.. well, here is a picture of our happy little touring gang :rolleyes::D

Gang2_zps4242838e.jpg

Not bad, eh? Wait.. what's that on the far right? Hmm..

Gang1_zps79057ec2.jpg

Yeah, it is.. it's a scooter! Can't believe your eyes, can you? :rolleyes:

Gang3_zps0f43bb76.jpg

My brother's bosses ride. It is actually his wife's bike. He owns a Tiger 800XC which I will eventually have pictures of. He rides the scooter to work because he is lazy and doesn't like shifting. It's also cheaper.

My brother got the Kawasaki Versys 650 after trying literally dozens of bikes. He is even taller and bigger than I am, and was not comfortable or happy on pretty much anything out there except dirtbikes or dual-sports. The Versys is one of the biggest he tried out. He loves it so far. Actually he doesn't even have a license yet, but I have been coaching him and he is an excellent rider (just like I like to think I was when I began!). He is very safety oriented - in fact he has even more protective gear than I do, and I've been collecting gear for 3 years now.. this is his first day!! He doesn't speed, he doesn't do stupid stuff, so I think he will be fine with the 650, especially because it is not as sporty as the FZ6. I started on the FZ6 and I am a more aggressive driver than he is. So he will be fine!

So alas, my poor FZ6 is gone. It felt like the right time and place though because it sold for more than I paid for it almost 3 years ago. I teared up when the new owner towed her away. That's never happened before. It really goes without saying that bikes hold a much stronger bond between man and machine than anything else I have experienced. This is not good-bye, however, as the new owner is in the city and I will see him every so often. It's also not good-bye for me with this forum and all of you guys - this is the best community I've ever been a part of and I intend on sticking around! Definitely will have ride pictures in the future and will show all the mods as they come!

Thanks for watching, and thanks for the good times! I look forward to many more.

FZ6-2_zpsd6436b69.jpg

FZ6-3_zps1a4601a6.jpg

FZ6-1_zpsc73d3db8.jpg

FZ6-5_zpsb0872945.jpg

FZ6-4_zps5059cc57.jpg

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats!! I gotta admin that CB looks pretty stunning (gold accents on black.. really nice!).
FZ1 IS just a perfect move up from FZ6, isn't it? :D

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol wait, your bro did get the Versys right?? Will you be filming episodes of 2 and a half bikes? Lol

Gratz on the bike(s)!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrates on the new bike!!!!!!!

I sat on and really liked the 2013 FZ1. Big bother to my 07!. They wouldn't give me crap trading and the biggest turn off was the MPG's being considerably lower.

I suspect I'll be watching to see what the 2014 FJR color (I don't like the 2013 color) is and make some decisions then... The mileage is close to the FZ6 and is pretty damn quick in the "sport mode" (around 150HP).

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
nice! I wish you were selling that seat cowl off your old bike :(

It would be an insanely hard choice for me if I were buying a new bike right now, between the fz1, z1k, and speed3. One thing about the z1k that kind of turns me off, and I know it will seem petty, but dang all the controls look so cheap and cheesy. Looks like something mounted on the handlebars of my old atc110 3 wheeler :confused:

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all! I do love the FZ1 so far, it is indeed a perfect big brother (or sister) to the FZ6. Mainly because there are enough differences that it is a totally different bike, but enough similarities that I still know how to work on it and recognize the important bits. Already changed the oil without a single hiccup! Well, despite the fact that the filter is behind the headers and I got oil all over them :BLAA:

Yup, two and a half bikes is coming to a TV near you. My brother is loving his Versys and has modified it a bit already, mainly just safety things like hand guards, crash sliders, engine guard, the whole shabang! he just finished his rider training course and will be doing his licensing test on Wednesday so he can go ride by himself instead of dragging me along!

I was actually after a 2012 FZ1 because I wanted a black one (planned on painting it Matte Black), but the only one they had in stock had 14000km (wow) and I wanted something fresh to me... and quickly fell in love with the deep cobalt colour (same as my FZ6 but an even faster blue!). He also dropped the price so significantly that I barely noticed the hit after selling the FZ6. I'm on cloud nine with the luck I've hit in this deal.

I was looking at the Speed Triple because that is one of my dream bikes, but they didn't have any used and the brand new ones are expensive, very little wiggle room on price. Some day!

FMF - yeah, sorry, wish I could have sold that here because I know it is popular (I couldn't find one when I was in the market for it, had to pay full price!). But I used it as a bargaining point for a better price to the new owner after he found out its $275, not including shipping!

Thanks again all. More pictures are coming as the mods come in!