New FZ 8/1, vs. FZ6

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,
I have an '07 FZ6, and I'm wondering, has Yamaha changed the throttle/clutch settings that so many here have spent time modding to "fix"? I have the G2 throttle tamer, and am planning on getting the KN clutch lever. Do the new bikes need these kinds of mods, or did Yamaha change these rider interfaces?

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Where is the "vs" part of this thread?

I would go Fz1, so much power it's dangerous :BLAA:. And the throttle is a little smoother than the Fz6 but has so much more power that it is still a little sketchy at times.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I sat on a 2013 FZ1 last week (didn't ride it). I did notice the clutch pull was pretty light compared to the FZ6 (and I keep mine lubed up/serviced). Probably doesn't answer your question.

I did some research on the 2013 FZ8 and compared to the 07 FZ6 (98 HP version). It has a lower red line and less than 10 more HP... No fairing where the FZ1 looks more like my 07 FZ6 with a fairing.

They didn't have a new FZ8 on the floor...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not even about new.. I had 07 FZ6 and now ride a 07 FZ1. FZ1 clutch is completely different from FZ6. VERY long friction zone, very easy to modulate and the throttle is smoother from off to on.

Dare I say FZ1 is easier to operate than FZ6 :eek:

Of course it's also easier to get in trouble on, but that has nothing to do with the clutch and throttle tip-in :D

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
:Sport:
It's not even about new.. I had 07 FZ6 and now ride a 07 FZ1. FZ1 clutch is completely different from FZ6. VERY long friction zone, very easy to modulate and the throttle is smoother from off to on.

Dare I say FZ1 is easier to operate than FZ6 :eek:

Of course it's also easier to get in trouble on, but that has nothing to do with the clutch and throttle tip-in :D

I think it has to do more with the extra 30 ponies under ya with a sudden desire for the right wrist to get a little heavy to produce spontaneous giggling. :Sport::Sport:

The clutch/transmission is way smoother, not as clunky as the 6. I would say the brakes are not as big of an upgrade as I hoped for. I am getting SS braided lines and new pads on to hope it helps. I think there is only 20 lbs weight difference between the 6 and 1 which I plan to make up by removing the taillight shovel, the factory exhaust and switching to a lithium battery. But in stock form I'd definitely say that the 1 stops slower.

My only other knock against the 1 is the 190/50 rear tire makes turn in a lot slower. I plan to get a 190/55 to get a taller tire for easier turn in next and this should also help with the speedo that is off by about 10%

Overall the feeling I get on the 1 is why I wanted to start motorcycling in the first place. The 6 was fun, but just wasn't enough.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I think it has to do more with the extra 30 ponies under ya with a sudden desire for the right wrist to get a little heavy to produce spontaneous giggling. :Sport::Sport:

Actually, it's more like 40+ extra ponies. FZ6 is rated 98 at the crank. FZ1 is rated 150. Typical FZ6 dyno shows about 89hp, while FZ1 dyno usually shows about 129hp.... but who's counting!

Just FYI.. you won't save much weight by installing FE kit.. stock fender, monstrous as it appears, is quite light. Exhaust.. that's an easy 8 pound drop right there and the battery.. about 6-7 pound drop.

Agree about the bike being harder to turn (not sure rear tire is fully to blame for this) and agree about the brakes not being all that strong.

Sorry for the thread-jack.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

The clutch/transmission is way smoother, not as clunky as the 6. I would say the brakes are not as big of an upgrade as I hoped for. I am getting SS braided lines and new pads on to hope it helps. I think there is only 20 lbs weight difference between the 6 and 1 which I plan to make up by removing the taillight shovel, the factory exhaust and switching to a lithium battery. But in stock form I'd definitely say that the 1 stops slower.

My only other knock against the 1 is the 190/50 rear tire makes turn in a lot slower. I plan to get a 190/55 to get a taller tire for easier turn in next and this should also help with the speedo that is off by about 10%

Overall the feeling I get on the 1 is why I wanted to start motorcycling in the first place. The 6 was fun, but just wasn't enough.

I can say first had the giggle effect of the FZ1...I got the chance to ride Erci's bike. Once I got use to the clutch, I giggled like a 6yr old for 20 miles!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
so rode an FZ1 for the first time over the holidays, and the main thing i noticed was that it was not as flickable in the corners. i went out with my dad and we traded off between the FZ1 and FZ6 and, either way when the going got twisty the 6 was quicker through the corners. The 1 is more stable through the sweepers (well all corners really) but i think the wheelbase, which is 6 inches longer, takes quite a bit of flickability away...

BUT THE POWER:drool::drool:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
so rode an FZ1 for the first time over the holidays, and the main thing i noticed was that it was not as flickable in the corners. i went out with my dad and we traded off between the FZ1 and FZ6 and, either way when the going got twisty the 6 was quicker through the corners. The 1 is more stable through the sweepers (well all corners really) but i think the wheelbase, which is 6 inches longer, takes quite a bit of flickability away...

BUT THE POWER:drool::drool:

I noticed the much larger rear tire on the new FZ1 and inquired about the handling/turning as well. I rode a friends Suzuki M109 quite awile ago and with the big back tire, (I do realize its a cruiser), if you leaned it and accelerated, it picked itself straight back up, quite annoying. I don't know if the FZ1 does this (similar sized tire).

I know my past FJR (with the same sized rear tire/wheel as the FZ), there were no issues in the twisties(that's with 145HP below 8K RPM's)...