New to me FZ6!

redProc

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently picked up a Black, 2009 FZ6 And so far, it's an impressive machine. I haven't had a chance to really wind it out on the highway yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing (feeling?) what it can do.

Coming from a 2006 SV650S, it's safe to say the fz is completely different bike than I'm used to! The things that stand out the most to me is the, comparatively, laid back and nigh up-right riding position; and that power delivery. I gotta say, the FZ definitely feels like a higher quality bike. I don't know if that's a Yamaha thing, but I definitely appreciate the build and overall sharpness of it. I of course have a few typical observations so far,

• As I read from other people, the throttle definitely seems a bit grabby, or even sticky, at the beginning of its pull. I take it this is something a throttle tamer, or even a PowerCommander, could help with.
  • My SV's clutch, due to age and a dodgy cable, has had a bit of a narrow friction zone, so I'm fairly used to that most well known FZ issue. I'm just not yet used to where it engages on the lever throw -- resulting in accidental blips when I expect the gear to be engaged, or slight delays getting on the throttle. I'll figure it out. :D
  • Having long arms, I feel like the grips could be swept back a little more, but I understand replacing with an FZ1 or FZ8 handlebar could help out there.

I've got a growing list of potential mods to look into in the future. But for now, I'm excited to get to know the bike better.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Welcome to the forum!

Once you wind it up, you'll find its a completly different machine after 8-10K RPM's. Its pretty quick for a 600 with the HP to weight ratio. Put some aftermarket mufflers on it and it'll really wake it up!! Let the farkling begin!

:Sport:

Last edited:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently picked up a Black, 2009 FZ6 And so far, it's an impressive machine. I haven't had a chance to really wind it out on the highway yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing (feeling?) what it can do.

Coming from a 2006 SV650S, it's safe to say the fz is completely different bike than I'm used to! The things that stand out the most to me is the, comparatively, laid back and nigh up-right riding position; and that power delivery. I gotta say, the FZ definitely feels like a higher quality bike. I don't know if that's a Yamaha thing, but I definitely appreciate the build and overall sharpness of it. I of course have a few typical observations so far,

• As I read from other people, the throttle definitely seems a bit grabby, or even sticky, at the beginning of its pull. I take it this is something a throttle tamer, or even a PowerCommander, could help with.
  • My SV's clutch, due to age and a dodgy cable, has had a bit of a narrow friction zone, so I'm fairly used to that most well known FZ issue. I'm just not yet used to where it engages on the lever throw -- resulting in accidental blips when I expect the gear to be engaged, or slight delays getting on the throttle. I'll figure it out. :D
  • Having long arms, I feel like the grips could be swept back a little more, but I understand replacing with an FZ1 or FZ8 handlebar could help out there.

I've got a growing list of potential mods to look into in the future. But for now, I'm excited to get to know the bike better.

:welcome: from Texas:cheer:

Looks like you've done your homework on the FZ.:thumbup:

Post photos soon.:rockon:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats!

I've had mine since 2006 and still love it!

Look into properly lubricating your clutch cable and throttle cables as well as your throttle grip where it slides in the bar end. I removed my throttle grip and found rust under there! Some sanding and polishing and hitting it with silicone grease and now my throttle is MUCH smoother!