New England Meet in VT - Aug 15th, 2009!!!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not super familiar with the area but I did get married in VT and had the reception in Brandon. They have a number of restaurants and at least one that would likely be large enough to just show up when we get there and be seated. Assuming we go clockwise on the loop it looks to be a little less than half-way (like 3 out of the 8 hours riding).

The next sizeable town we get close to is Woodstock (4.5 hours riding) and it's a touristy town so it would have choices but be busy.

If we went anti-clockwise we could stop in Quechee (again touristy/busy) or travel some out of the way to Lebabon or White River Junction which provide loads of choices. These last choices would be about 3.5 hours riding going that way.

I don't have a big preference on that stuff, although left to my own devices I'd prolly just go clockwise to Brandon and have lunch even though it should be a bit on the early side when we get there. What's everyone else think?

With a group the size that this will be I think that 300 miles is pushing it. It's best kept to around 200 or so. There will be a lot of stops and some slower/faster risers. With 300 miles of twisties we looking at a 12 hour day I think.

I'll do whatever you guys decide on, but just putting my thought out there.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
With a group the size that this will be I think that 300 miles is pushing it. It's best kept to around 200 or so. There will be a lot of stops and some slower/faster risers. With 300 miles of twisties we looking at a 12 hour day I think.

I'll do whatever you guys decide on, but just putting my thought out there.

The attached is a shorter version - starts out the same but heads back south more directly. We could also see what kind of time we make on the first stretch and then pick long or short for the balance. Same deal - attached as a .doc, save and change the extension to .gdb

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The attached is a shorter version - starts out the same but heads back south more directly. We could also see what kind of time we make on the first stretch and then pick long or short for the balance. Same deal - attached as a .doc, save and change the extension to .gdb

Thanks Scott. I'll have a look at it tomorrow. I am also going to try and get the boss to cover some of this with me as he rides VT every chance he can get. I'll post up what we come up with as well. We can then make some decisions.

Are there any first-time group riders coming on this trip? We have some rules and guidance to offer up.

Also, I am looking for a volunteer for sweeper who has a GPS on the bike. Should the group get broken up, it would be nice to have someone who can lead the rear pack to the group where we'd be waiting. It's not likely that we'll get split. I'll be stopping after each intersection to wait for the signal from the sweeper. I'll also have the 14 mile radios charged and ready. If there's a problem, we can stop and communicate with those. I plan on having it pinned to my jacket shoulder.

I'm going to be editing the OP with some links, rules, guidelines, etc... I plan on robbing my stuff from the '08 NH trip and pasting a lot of it here.

Thanks all! Can't wait to be on the road!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am very excited about this as well and if i happen to come across a decent GPS by then i will volunteer to Sweep the group, but until then I will leave the slot open.

I have secretly been looking at buying one (don't tell Keira) :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Would have loved to go... have to work that weekend (and it's my Birthday too) :(

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I am very excited about this as well and if i happen to come across a decent GPS by then i will volunteer to Sweep the group, but until then I will leave the slot open.

I have secretly been looking at buying one (don't tell Keira) :)

I think you just did :)

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

I think that route will work a lot better with a group. It cuts out about 70 miles and will probably make the day about 8-9 hours with a group our size. Thanks for all the work Scott!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I've loaded both routes to the Zumo so what ever you guys decide on is cool by me. I'm just ready for some R/R and a couple beers!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the boss still working up another route as well. He took a look at ours and let me know that a few of those roads, while nice, are heavily traveled, bad condition and have a very high police presence. He's using his GPS to map us a route with better roads, less traffic and less police presence. I hope to have that on Monday. :D

Anthony, I just installed the Pod Lights on the FZ1. I used the same two part numbers that Eric gave for his install from Autozone. They are wired as alternating signals. :D Sweet!!!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i am excited for this still, but now we are trying to decide if we will be 2-up or on 2 bike for the ride itseld, but the SV will at least make the trip to the hotel :)

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i am excited for this still, but now we are trying to decide if we will be 2-up or on 2 bike for the ride itself, but the SV will at least make the trip to the hotel :)

Is Keira getting any seat time? I hope she can do the ride on her bike.

We had a few more interested in this date that have yet to commit. I am going to go back and PM those who expressed an interest in the 15th but haven't posted here.

I had Michele out yesterday on the FZ6R for 230 miles. She did great so I think this trip will be OK for her. :D

We will have a great time!

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm unfamiliar with the area and this route so will lunch be a wing it on the route? Or, should we find a place and plan on making it?

Digging the route! I see it goes through Rochester at about the halfway. The Rochester Cafe is a nice spot that we always stop at for lunch on the way back from the slopes.

Btw, the east to west road into Rochester is also known as Rochester Gap. Nice ride up through there. Some pics of that road from a couple years ago...

2115170519_96a9948a4b_b.jpg

1096824921_88668e64c9_b.jpg

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tom, We'll certainly consider the lunch spot. Do yuo think they can handle a large group on a whim?

Great pics! Love the scenery! TY! :thumbup:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the boss still working up another route as well. He took a look at ours and let me know that a few of those roads, while nice, are heavily traveled, bad condition and have a very high police presence. He's using his GPS to map us a route with better roads, less traffic and less police presence. I hope to have that on Monday. :D

Cool- I'm down for whatever - post it up when you get it from him. Is it time to leave for this trip yet??!!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

Anthony, I just installed the Pod Lights on the FZ1. I used the same two part numbers that Eric gave for his install from Autozone. They are wired as alternating signals. :D Sweet!!!

Cool! It was pretty simply right? It also makes the front look really cool. I didn't know the FZ1 had the same empty pods.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is Keira getting any seat time? I hope she can do the ride on her bike.

She haw been getting some seat time, but not a ton, it seems that whenever she wants to head out it is raining or i am not home to watch the baby yet. She got to do 40-50 miles on Saturday, but the bike takes a lot out of her after the baby.

I will certainly try to convince her to take her bike so she can get some serious seat time, and i have a feeling that if she does take her bike on the actual ride then we will be swapping bikes to share the comfy bike :)

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I will certainly try to convince her to take her bike so she can get some serious seat time, and i have a feeling that if she does take her bike on the actual ride then we will be swapping bikes to share the comfy bike :)

haha, more fire drills at stop signs!

Seriously, though, think of this as getting back to riding after major abdominal surgery. I may not have had any actual surgery, but I have no core muscles anymore. I have been doing Pilates a ton, and trying to get out on the bike whenever I can (so far that has been, like, three times since our Concord ride), but it is tough to find time, and also tough to get my core back to where it was in only a few weeks. I could probably do the ride, but I would need a LOT of breaks (like every 20-40 miles) and would be miserable by the end of the day. Being on the back will exhaust me too, but not as bad.

We'll see what happens.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One way or another, we'll get you through it. :D Be it trading off or pillion, we'll get through the ride.

How many are interested in flat-out riding? How many are interested in photo op stops and how often?