New England I need help!!!!

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a summer trip planned to go to Mt. Washington in New Hampshire.I want to see the weather observatory and experience the place where the worlds fastest wind speed on earth was recorded. ( 231 mhp in 1937 ) I am planning my trip for the summer of 2009 in July ( when the company I work for shuts down for a week in July) I need help on what else to do while I am in the neighborhood. I will be leaving from Indiana (Southwest corner "Evansville") so it will take me at least a day since one stop I plan on taking is Niagara Falls. (haven't been there since I was 9 or so) So my question is what else should I check out. No doubt I have to have a lobster in Maine but what else should I do?

http://www.mountwashington.org/

Last edited:

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Cape Cod in MA is a relatively short ride from Mt Washington. Boston has a walking tour called the Freedom Trail, filled with lots of history about revolutionary times. Whale watching tours are also a popular attraction, but I prefer to go fishing and seeing the whales is just a bonus.

Roln 106

Reaction score
Visit site
Cape Cod may be a bit out of the way. If you have time I'd definately recommend making your way down into Boston. I've had the oppurtunity of traveling a bit and it definately seems each city is different. If you can make it down into Boston, get your hands on some Red Sox tickets, bleacher seats are perfectly fine and make for an awesome experience (bleacher seats in Fenway are only bleachers because of the style seat, you can watch the game perfectly fine from there).

If you're looking to stay around Mt Washington, the Adventure Sweats in North Conway look pretty cool, my girlfriend and I are planning on taking a weekend and staying there when we have time. North Conway also has some outlet shopping and a train which goes up Mt Washington which is also pretty cool.

Check out Loon Mtn. I believe they have mountain biking over the summer.

I'd say make your way over to the water. Lake Winnipesaukee has some cool stuff. Different water parks and the such. I'd also make my way over to the ocean. Hampton Beach would be a bit of a drive from the Mt Washington area but is always cool.

Will you have your bike? If so there is a ton of good riding in the area. I will try to think of a few more things to do. Really there is a ton, I think it depends on if you want to stay in the Mt. Washington area or make it an entire New England trip.

BTW, first post for me.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a wonderful trip! Things you need to do.
1. Post up a week or two prior so those of us who live here can meet up with you on part of your journey, we each have different areas we are very familiar with and would be glad to help you explore without the hassle of self discovery..
2.The "Kank" is a must!
3. If you have interest in some day type rail travel you can take in a great deal of the vast White Mountain Area.
4. Check out the states website if you have not already.NH.gov - The Official Web Site of New Hampshire State Government
5. Check the weather! It changes vastly and without warning so come prepared!

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, depending on my post-baby condition, you could come visit us :)

Aside from that, there is great outlet shopping (if you like that sort of thing) all tax-free in NH, the White Mtns in NH, and the Green Mtns in VT are nice. The Flume in Franconia Notch is a good time. You can always find someone to take you kayaking, canoeing, or rafting. Youc an walk the Freedom Trail in Boston, MA (or do anything in Boston, actually), check out the LL Bean Store at the 24-hour home base in Freeport, ME...you can take a cruise ont he MV Mt Washington, hit up the bars in downtown Portsmouth, NH, or tke a booze cruise out of Portsmouth Harbor after seeign the Isles of Shoals. Not to mention all the old forts (including possibly Ft. #4 in Charlestown, NH, but it might not be open this year due to financial trouble).

There is plenty here to keep you busy :)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Come to my place and I'll grill up some steak tips and share some Sam Adams after a good ride!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Summer you say? Within a couple hundred miles of Boston? Only one thing I would have to do........

See the RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck getting tickets :D

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Tickets aren't that hard to get, online if you're rich, buddy with a season package if you're connected, or buy them in the street. Last time I went Tori Hunter hit two homers, we lost, and it rained. Still worth it.

Look up Cowlick's Deli in Needham, get a large steak and cheese.