Lubrication points on a 2005, to help with a new noise?

flivver

Reaction score
Visit site
I last rode my bike just after Christmas, when the roads were wet and dirty. After the ride, I washed it (for the first time since I bought it a few months ago), lubed the chain, and it's been sitting in my garage ever since. I took it out today, and noticed a popping sound from time to time when I was slowing to a stop. It's seem to be related to the suspension or the body generally, somehow, as I was able to reproduce the sound with the engine off. It sounds a little like the pop you get when metal sticks to metal and then comes apart. Nothing major-sounding, but it's an noise the bike hasn't made before.

Does this sound like it could be helped by lubrication – especially in light of the bike having been washed? If so, what are some places that I might consider lubricating, and with what kind of lube?

If not that, does anything else come to mind as a possible source for the sound?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fawlty

Reaction score
Visit site
Difficult to say, without hearing the noise, but I would initially suspect the chain. Did you clean the chain well before you lubed it?

flivver

Reaction score
Visit site
Difficult to say, without hearing the noise, but I would initially suspect the chain. Did you clean the chain well before you lubed it?

Indeed, I cleaned the chain with kerosene before I washed the bike. I also wondered if I was hearing gas slosh in the gas tank, but I'm pretty sure it's not that. The sound isn't quite right for it to be that.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First, check that you have the PROPER CHAIN TENSION.

On the CC, at the chains taught-est point, you should have about 2" TOTAL UP AND DOWN play-mid swing arm.
I like to measure at the end of the plastic, swing arm guide
(the tension is MUCH LOOSER than most bikes-Once on the ground, it tightens up)

If tension is correct plus 1 on the chain and especially the REAR sprocket.

I had some "clicking" audible when rolling the bike about the garage. Replaced rear wheel bearings, nope.

The chain had been replaced but not the rear sprocket as it looked brand new. Replaced the sprocket, NOISE GONE...

How many miles on the chain and sprockets? Not that it matters as the bike is "new" to you, you don't know how / if the
the chain was maintained...

You can loosen the rear rear, pop the chain off the rear sprocket, and re-tighten everything.

NOW roll it about. with the chain out of the equation, bet it's quiet!!

flivver

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. The chain and sprocket are original, to my knowledge. The previous owner is a friend of mine, and he cleaned and lubed the chain every 400 miles. He's pretty meticulous, so I don't doubt him. Not sure about the history of the bike prior to that, though. The bike has ~24K miles on it now, give or take, so I imagine a chain and sprocket aren't out of the question.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your due for a chain/sprockets.

Some folks get longer than that but it's somewhat rare.

But again, you can confirm simply by disconnecting the chain, tighten and roll it around...

(I learned after installing $80 worth of all the rear wheel bearings)....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bottom of the shock is highly suspect. It has a needle bearing in it with limited weather protection.

Push straight down on the rear, maybe sit and bounce on it. Try it in Neutral and in gear. The head bearings and swing arm could also be suspect.

28k mi still looks like new... other than when I added teeth to the rear, maybe adjusted it twice in its life time.

flivver

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't have much time to look at it tonight, but I did have a few minutes, so I tried to reproduce the noise. If I just sit on the bike, and bounce up-and-down on the seat, it doesn't happen. If I roll the bike forward or backward without sitting on it, it doesn't happen. It only seems to happen if I sit on the bike, and then roll it forward two or three feet, or backward two or three feet. Near the end of the roll, the noise will happen once. I'm going to try to take it in to my local independent mechanic tomorrow for a second pair of eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you check the chain adjustment? How much play is there?

Also, MAKE SURE YOU TELL YOUR MECHANIC THE CHAIN NEEDS 2" TOTAL UP AND DOWN PLAY.
It's not uncommon for shops to over tighten the chain.

If you need an owners manual, PM me for a PDF copy or do a search here

flivver

Reaction score
Visit site
TownsendsFJR1300 you were right on. My mechanic keyed in on chain tension and lubrication. I'd been using the Teflon wax product that people seem to like (3M brand, maybe), but it didn't seem to be doing the trick. He lubed it with a wet lube, wiggled it a bunch to loosen the links, and also adjusted the tension (by moving the back wheel a little bit via the adjusters). Seems to be noise free again! Thanks, all!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Same goes for teflon... Apply every 200 mi or understand your chain will be destroyed.

Like above, back to petroleum viscous lubes which I find go 400mi in dry weather. By 500 mi, chain is dry.
FWIW: I've never used kerosene on my chain.
i use Motorex Chain Cleaner. Lube is Dumonde Tech BHP applied with a syringe. It does fling some but the chain will live to 30,000 mi easily....