Nail in tire, is it safe to ride?

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a nail in my nearly new rear tire and I'm wondering if it's safe to ride on the tire? It got the fattest part of the thread and after pulling the nail the tire isn't leaking. I took some pictures. I put a paper clip in the hole to show the depth and angle. The last picture is of the offending nail. What say all of you?
yva4uge2.jpg

4ypedy9y.jpg

a9ega3a2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If it isn't leaking ride it slowly to the bike shop and get a mushroom plug fitted just to be on the safe side.

Edit: if that is the angle and the depth of the insertion I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say yeah - except that's the only part of the tire you're using :BLAA:

But really - I'd say you're okay - just keep an eye on your pressure on a regular basis. I've had regular plugs (not mushrooms) and been fine for many miles at speed, I'd mark where it is so that you can find it again if you get a slow leak coming through and need to plug it (though mushrooms are better). It's your rear, so if it goes flat it shouldn't kill you, and I don't expect that it will decide to suddenly begin leaking for no reason.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As best you described, it looks to be real close to being a through and through puncture based upon depth but I can't tell from here so; If the Margin of penetration is more than 60% as viewed by thinnest part of tire, NOT TREAD DEPTH, I'd run it through and plug it.
If its just in the meat of the tread - ride it and do as others have said, mark it, can keep an eye on it. I used a Silver Sharpie to the side wall. Worked great.

I was stranded w/a puncture - no offending material to be found. Plugged it and called it good with an over the counter kit. Tire has no tread as of last week, so - the plug held fine for 1000 miles. Tire shape in that area never changed and I'm pretty sure I did more cord damage to the carcass using the supplied RASP than the original puncture.

PS - it takes 2,346 pumps to fill a 180/55 tire with a BLACKBURN Mountain Bike Air Pump! lol j/k but it was allot!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, if the nail didn't breach the cord belt(s) you're fine. I guess it's kinda up to you deciding/concluding that it didn't and then, monitor pressure (and mark area?) and keep going. I would fringe at the thought of deliberately rasping/plugging, etc., a hole in the area that I thought the nail compromised. A typical inside tire patch ("Slime," etc.) is very thin and so I would gamble the the tire material between the point of the nail intrustion and interior tire surface is better/thicker that any tire patch would provide. Gawd, I hate nails in tire! I currently have a dismounted BT023 with less than 3,000 miles sitting in my garage with a nail clean through it; going to inside patch it and have it ready to use after present new rear tire needs replacement.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
Based on my very unscientific judgement I don't think it even got through the tread. I took a short trip today and let it sit overnight. Pressure is perfect. I'll take some longer trips then and check the pressure after them as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it doesn't have a hole thru it AND doesn't leak, leave it (keep an eye on it as others have posted).

To punch a hole in a non leaking tire, all the way thru, rasp it for a plug, then plug it, is un-necessary.

You dodged a bullet!:thumbup: