Thanksgiving gave me a lot to be thankful for. (fizzer lowside)

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I was riding to my parent's house on Thursday to start making some green bean casserole for thanksgiving with my family. On the way over, I had a bit of an accident...

I was taking a series of corners that I always take when I head that way at about 35 mph (usually take them at about 45-50) and it's a really quick right turn -> left turn transition... Well I made the right turn alright, but when I went to transition to the left turn, I was on a white painted line at about 9am on a cool morning after a cold rainy night. The lines were still wet... The front tire went "shawooop!" and I could hear my twobros exhaust hit a "whaAAOOH" before the engine cut off and we were both sliding toward a guard rail. Well, I hit the guard rail but the bike didn't! :)

Things I'm thankful for that morning -Frame Sliders. These babies did their job wonderfully!

Other things I'm thankful of - Gear gear gear gear gear! I was wearing my
- Sidi Strata Evo Air boots
- Alpinestars T-GP-R Air textile jacket
- AGV sport solare textile pants
- Alpinestars SP2 gloves
- HJC IS-16 helmet

This meant that when I went down, I remember everything (even though the helmet never even touched the ground) and that when I was sliding, I got to experience the horrific sight of my bike sliding on pavement with sparks underneath and being totally helpless... And when I stopped sliding it allowed me to pop back up, run over to the bike, lift it up and get it back into neutral.

Of course, the FZ6 is a champ. This was just a small nap, as when I called back on his name, his engine roared to life as that of a mighty steed going into battle! For he would not be bested by mere asphalt! ;)

Now I have the decision to make... I just have comprehensive on the bike, and it is by no means "totaled". I'll post pictures at the end of this to show the extent of the damage. There is some slight fairing damage, and I'll show that at the end but here's what I've seen needs to be replaced. (due to road rash, not being broken)

1. left mirror
  2. left passenger footpeg
  3. frame sliders (duh, already have a spare set)
  4. left side clutch cover (this took the brunt of the damage)
  5. left driver footpeg
  6. Levers
  7. Bar ends

Those are the need to be replaced items. From there, the front fairing would either have to go naked, or be replaced... Unless! On a black 2008, can you just replace the little matte black area around the headlight? Because if so, that would be amazing!

But the question is, I was planning on selling this bike next spring and going to a triumph daytona 675 as I really want something with more low end torque. Now the daytona is a bit out of the price range, but I could save up over the winter and still get one if I wanted. (or go with a newer SV650s or sv1000s)

So do I fix her up to sell her in the spring for top dollar...
Or do I sell her as-is for a loss in profits?

Any suggestions on either of those things as well as where I could get good parts to fix those items would be greatly appreciated!

Anyway, on to the pictures!

busted lever -
69412_4081088986102_402975977_n.jpg

Bar end
526337_4081088866099_1301805587_n.jpg

THE ONLY FAIRING DAMAGE
68435_4081088586092_1448659724_n.jpg

Passenger footpeg (drivers side looked the same but the picture didn't turn out)
542587_4081088026078_105729368_n.jpg

Frame sliders. I love this guy. he did his job so well. :)
59598_4081087746071_952498097_n.jpg

And clutch cover... this guy took the brunt of the damage..
532196_4081087546066_1306303265_n.jpg

Oh, and I'M okay. I have a bruise on my left knee and one on my shoulder where I hit the guard rail. But I'm good. :)

Thanks all and stay safe out there!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry - but glad you're OK! You can re-dress him if you like. Or maybe undress? :spank:

Evil little lines. . . .

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damage was minimal AND you were able to RIDE away from it....
Something to be very thankful for:thumbup: Glad you are ok.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Coulda been much worse. Glad you're ok!
I would fix the bike before selling.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was on a white painted line at about 9am on a cool morning after a cold rainy night.

Those scare the crap outta me when they're wet! :eek:
Glad you had on your gear and you're relatively ok. Cobalt's wife went down the same way....in a cross walk. Luckily she was going pretty slow at the time.
And my 2 cents, I'd fix it up best you can without dumping a ton of money into it before selling it.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Super glad you are smart and ATGATT. Bummer for your baby with the road rash. Get er fixed and get back out there as soon as possible.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I believe you can replace the black plastic around the headlight without doing the whole fairing.

I'm just about to get my check from getting hit and had similar left side damage. Figure on about $1,500 in damage to have a shop order OEM parts and do the labor @ $85/hr, much less if you source and replace yourself.

If you're looking to get the best bang for your buck, it would probably be best to replace only the broken items. New cosmetic parts will generally not give you the return on investment unless the bike was 10/10 perfect before.

The shop that did the accident damage estimate charges 1/2 hour labor to do so (and probably waves this fee if you get the work done there). You could either shop yourself, or pay for this inspection and get a nice quote with line items you can pick and choose as you wish.

Glad you're ok.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
MEH..Keep riding and replace the parts as you get a pay check. Don't sweat it if you plan to keep the bike. If you're selling it in the next week...well...buy new part...don't tell anyone and sell the BITCH!

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
The headlight surround is called a "mole", look up a site with OEM body parts, and you can get the part number, I'm a new rider and these are the first down parts. The official Yamaha price is maybe $90, I found a site that had them for $58 ea. When you find the part number, punch that into Google. Also, one of the other guys listed a "how-to" sand and paint body parts, if they are not beyond repair.
Good luck, and glad to hear you were not hurt badly.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Small update: I was shopping for OEM parts today for what I want/need to fix to bring the FZ6 back to looking as beautiful as it was. Currently, without shopping for any deals or anything, I'm looking at $472.32 USD plus shipping on a few parts here and there. This is also doing all the work myself, which I think I can easily do.

I think I may just start with the easiest stuff and work my way up from there...

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
hi xavias, first of all im very happy that YOU were unscathed in the accident and the bike has minimal damage. i would check the handlebar also, since the bar end took a large hit, it may have torqued the handlebar out of shape without you noticing at first glance.

rotate the steering to full lock on both sides and check where it stops using the mirrors as fixed refernce point and the tank emblem

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Xavias said:
Now the daytona is a bit out of the price range, but I could save up over the winter and still get one if I wanted. (or go with a newer SV650s or sv1000s)

I just upgraded to FZ6 from an '02 Sv650S. They are a great bike, but I would see it as a backward step to go with an SV650 after the FZ6. The suspension and brakes on the SV really let it down, as well as some inferior electrical components.

Go with the Triumph! (Also look at the Street Triple as I think it would be a much more comfortable ride than the Daytona).

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I just upgraded to FZ6 from an '02 Sv650S. They are a great bike, but I would see it as a backward step to go with an SV650 after the FZ6. The suspension and brakes on the SV really let it down, as well as some inferior electrical components.

Go with the Triumph! (Also look at the Street Triple as I think it would be a much more comfortable ride than the Daytona).

I also went '02 SV650s -> '08 FZ6 (weird, huh?)

I just miss that V-twin low RPM grunt!

I've heard the daytona has that as well as the top end... so I think I might end up just saving up and riding the FZ6 until I can buy one. :)

But I'm pretty set on that being my next bike...

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Good news all!

My parts came in and I've started putting them on last night.

What I've replaced so far: (directions are as if you're sitting on the bike)
Frame Sliders
Left Tail Fairing (the shiny black part)
Left Headlight Mole
shorty clutch and brake levers (CNC ones)
straightened forks in the yokes

What I have to do yet:
Replace Crank case cover (doing tonight)
Replace Bar Ends (miscommunication with the seller of the bar ends)
WASH AND WAX! :)

Will post pictures when she's all better. :)