Torqued Frame?

netopalis007

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys! So I picked up a 2006 FZ6 about a month and a half ago off Craigslist. Guy said he had dropped it low speed in gravel, never bothered to fix it, and rode it like that for a year. Then he decided to sell.

Basically, all the plastic on the left side of the bike was trash. I got Dev's naked headlight kit (thats an adventure all to itself). I've been slowly working on getting her roadworthy for the upcoming season.

However, I noticed something odd the other day. I've had the bike on the center stand in my garage for a while. Mostly been working on the front end. As I was pulling tools, I noticed that it looks like the tail end is wonky. I don't really know how to explain this (I'll work on getting pictures when I can get over there again) but the tail assembly is twisted. The exhaust, taillight, seat section, is all angled. It almost looks like the bike is sitting on the sidestand, except the wheel is straight up and down due to the centerstand.

I pulled a picture off the internet and drew on it to try and help show whats up. Basically, the red circle is the area I'm talking about. As you can see, the green line lines up perfectly with the tail section and the middle of the tire. However, mine is more like the angle of the blue line (Not that much of an angle, but paint likes 45 degree lines :rolleyes:)

My question is, is this something I should be worried about? I'm assuming I should check the tire for uneven wear. Is is possible to bend the frame back to shape? I was just planning to fix it up, ride it for the season, and sell it before I go off to college in the fall. Depending on how serious this is, I may have bitten off more than I can chew :eek:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys! So I picked up a 2006 FZ6 about a month and a half ago off Craigslist. Guy said he had dropped it low speed in gravel, never bothered to fix it, and rode it like that for a year. Then he decided to sell.

Basically, all the plastic on the left side of the bike was trash. I got Dev's naked headlight kit (thats an adventure all to itself). I've been slowly working on getting her roadworthy for the upcoming season.

However, I noticed something odd the other day. I've had the bike on the center stand in my garage for a while. Mostly been working on the front end. As I was pulling tools, I noticed that it looks like the tail end is wonky. I don't really know how to explain this (I'll work on getting pictures when I can get over there again) but the tail assembly is twisted. The exhaust, taillight, seat section, is all angled. It almost looks like the bike is sitting on the sidestand, except the wheel is straight up and down due to the centerstand.

I pulled a picture off the internet and drew on it to try and help show whats up. Basically, the red circle is the area I'm talking about. As you can see, the green line lines up perfectly with the tail section and the middle of the tire. However, mine is more like the angle of the blue line (Not that much of an angle, but paint likes 45 degree lines :rolleyes:)

My question is, is this something I should be worried about? I'm assuming I should check the tire for uneven wear. Is is possible to bend the frame back to shape? I was just planning to fix it up, ride it for the season, and sell it before I go off to college in the fall. Depending on how serious this is, I may have bitten off more than I can chew :eek:

OK - so this is not your bike in the picture and you're saying your tire is centered below the middle of the tail section but its tilted or skewed at an angle??

A couple things come to mind: the frame is cast aluminum and can handle varying loads of momentary shock but it very much dislikes a constant stress load like for example, one that could be imposed from the rear section being tubular steel and bent applying a load to the cast frame... This over time, could cause the frame to stress crack.

That said, I would place it on a level surface, on the centerstand, and remove the seat and tank. Lay something flat across the frame at the front and measure to the ground and see if both sides are equal. Now progress rearward over the frame and tail section and see if its displaced or different from side to side as you move rearward towards the grab rails.

Regardless of the measured values I'd also **loosen** the grab handle bolts and the rear sub frame to see if they spring to a new location as if being held under pressure.
REPAIR: You DO NOT want to force that steel section into alignment on the bike as it could result in the cast frame cracking as you need to bend the steel past being true so that when it springs back it is in line.

However, I'm not sure how you could "twist" the tail section and not move it left or right. With the tank and seat off, you could do a couple of diagonal measurements from the steering steam to the tail section. Its symmetrical and should yeild equal values. As should height from the ground up.

** Look the cast frame over closely for cracks ** and post some actual pictures of your bike. Measurements would not hurt either. The only thing about removing the tank is protecting the plastic fitting on the bottom and having a safe place to sit it. Pull the vent hoses out of the frame and just set it aside. Time for seat, tank, and measurements ~ 30min total.

Let us know...

Last edited:

netopalis007

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, I got some pictures. Hopefully this clears some things up. All pictures are with bike on center stand. The last picture really shows the angle the best. And the second picture kinda shows how the seat doesn't want to sit flush with the seat pan.
Note: Ignore the high tech attachment for the licence plate. PO did that, not me :D

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
That's one very twisted sub frame... :eek: I doubt you need measurements to make sure it is twisted. You now need to figure out where it is bent but more importantly why it was bent. Imo, it must have been something major as the subframe doesn't bend that easily, which could also mean other parts of the frame might have been damaged. You should take close-up pictures of the sub frame and where they are attached to the frame so that the experts can diagnose.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on FinalPacts assessment. If that were my bike I would remove the subframe, set the bike level on the center stand and make sure the attachment points are all the same relative to the ground. If the frame is torqued it could be bad. However, I find it hard to believe that if t were that bent you would feel it long before you see it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
That's one very twisted sub frame... :eek: I doubt you need measurements to make sure it is twisted. You now need to figure out where it is bent but more importantly why it was bent. Imo, it must have been something major as the subframe doesn't bend that easily, which could also mean other parts of the frame might have been damaged. You should take close-up pictures of the sub frame and where they are attached to the frame so that the experts can diagnose.

+1 to all that!

That is a serious twist you have there! The previous owner must have seriously knocked it to do that.

I looks like the grab rails are twisted, so is the exhaust, and probably the sub frame!

If i was you i would tear everything down, examine each part independently, then have a real close look at the frame to make sure nothing has cracked.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
if the frame is bent, you can get it rejigged and straightened, but it will cost you a pretty penny

The subframe is steel, and the main frame is aluminium, let's hope it's just the subframe that's bent

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW!!!!!

The rope throwing the seat in the air is not helping things. That said, pods off, unplug the harness to the tail lights, 4 bolts for the grab bars, some screws underneath (tail brace screws) and the grab handles are off leaving you this:

picture.php

I'm sorry but I'd have a tough time riding that until I know the root cause. As said, you need to inspect the cast frame from cracks.

Very close inspection of the steel sub-frame may reveal rust areas where its bent. 15 minutes of parts removal and you can hopefully better understand where its tweaked and how bad.

Good luck!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW!!!!!

The rope throwing the seat in the air is not helping things. That said, pods off, unplug the harness to the tail lights, 4 bolts for the grab bars, some screws underneath (tail brace screws) and the grab handles are off leaving you this:

picture.php

I'm sorry but I'd have a tough time riding that until I know the root cause. As said, you need to inspect the cast frame from cracks.

Very close inspection of the steel sub-frame may reveal rust areas where its bent. 15 minutes of parts removal and you can hopefully better understand where its tweaked and how bad.

Good luck!

Once at that stage - you can see this and determine if the rails are bent and or if the exhaust bracket is bent.

I suspect this tube section here has a bulk of the damage. With a clear shot you will likely be able to see and assess it.

PS - at this stage there is only these two bolts and clamp holding the exhaust in place....
attachment.php

netopalis007

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks FinalImpact. I'll start tearing it down as soon as I have time. Just to sum up: If I can find the source of the bend and it's in the subframe and I can't see any damage in the cast frame, I should be good, right?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks FinalImpact. I'll start tearing it down as soon as I have time. Just to sum up: If I can find the source of the bend and it's in the subframe and I can't see any damage in the cast frame, I should be good, right?

That is a fair assessment. That is, the casting does not bend - it breaks.

That said, your best bet is to find a replacement subframe. How many miles on it since this crash??? The reason I ask is stress PLUS prolonged vibrations could lead to cracks in the casting.

Unless you have a means to hold it down and bend it back. All I can say is DO NOT FORCE A BOLT into this assembly!! All bolts should align without the aid of force. If a bolt doesn't align it implies the casting will have stress on it. So fix the problem.

OK - post up as you find info and best of luck moving forward.

netopalis007

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure how many miles since he dropped it, but the bike only has 5000 miles and he only owned it for ~1000 miles total. So it hasn't been very many miles. And he said he pretty much didn't ride it except to move it between houses when he moved.

Are there any special tricks to find a crack in a subframe, or just a magnifying glass, a flashlight, and a whole lotta time?

netopalis007

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, warthogcrewchief. It's basically been sitting in my garage for months. I really need to get my butt in gear and fix it up so I can sell it before I move off to college.

On another note, something seems to be wrong with the steering. It looks like the handlebars are bent. More importantly, the only way I could steer was by counter steering. It felt like the wheel didn't want to turn side to side. It has been this way since the previous owner dropped it.

Another fun problem cropped up this morning. I pulled it out of the garage to try and sell it at a garage sale we had, and when I put the key in the "on" position with the handlebars turned all the way to either side, everything is kosher. If I turn the handlebars straight, however, it seems to short out and everything stops- lights, speedo, fuel pump, etc. I can keep moving the handlebars to the other side, and everything will kick back in. If I start the bike with the handlebars to either side, then the problem seems to go away, and I can move the handlebars every which way and ride it no problem. Any thoughts?

On the plus side, after sitting in the garage for upwards of a year without any special preparations or anything, it started right up!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That bike went down hard and landed on its tail to bend the rear like that.

Short of your steering issue, I would say the main frame is probably ok, just the sub-frame toast. The bent sub frame shouldn't affect the steering UNLESS, its putting the riders weight considerably to one side 100% of the time.

You have some busted wires up between the steering and main frame for the system to go and off as you turn the bars. That or when it went naked someone did a crappy job...

Just for S&G's, I would inspect real close the main frame by the swingarm, the engine mounting "arms" and by the steering head for any fine cracks. The engine mounts themselves too...

Note, if your selling it anyway, I would point out, it has been wrecked and you don't know the extent of the damage. It would have been nice if the previous owner would have done so...

Last edited by a moderator:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At least take the seat and side pods off and take couple pictures for us.

Perhaps those WHERE REPLACED by PO and the Sub Frame is all it needs. FWIW with a new S/F it could be fixed in like two hours. No comment on current issue.
Good luck!

netopalis007

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll go through the wires again and check em. I'm thinking a mouse or something got in there and chewed something, since I didn't have this problem before I stored it.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, god, I know you're going to hate me and I apologize for contributing nothing to this thread, but I just can't get over the mental image that popped into my tiny noggin when I saw the photos.

vpMj0RI.jpg