My thoughts after 2 month on FZ6 2009

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased the FZ6 2 months ago and have already put around 1k miles on it since then. Before the fazer I had many other bikes like GS500, Versys650, CB919 etc.. so I have something to compare to.

What I like about the FZ6:

Handling - I Love taking turns on that bike, I feels light and gives me lots of confidence.
Looks - It's a great looking peace of machinery
Center stand - makes my life easier
engine - I am not a big fan of high rev engines but this engine just feels at home when revving above 8k and I like how the bike wakes up after 8k revs.
Price - It's a lot of bike for the buck. There are some great low miles fz's for less than $3k, I got mine with 1400 miles on it.

What I DON't like about the FZ6:

Exhaust - Even though it looks sexy, I don't like the amount of heat it produces on longer trips. The back of the seat gets real worm (even hot) which is a big discomfort for my girlfriend when we ride far. It might be nice in the winter, but I don't ride much in the winter anyways and def not with my gf in the back.
Gear box - Very clickly, especially when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Maybe my bike is not completely broken in yet so we will see. But I would expect a more friendly gear box from Yamaha.

Fuel MPG - consumes about the same as my CB919 but with 300cc less, not reasonable in my opinion. I get around 38mpg with mixed riding.

Lack of space under the seat - I understand it's because the exhaust but it's become a concern now because there are some things (like my cellphone, power bar snack that would melt) that I can't put under the seat because it gets so hot there.

Overall I like the bike and will keep it but I did get disappointed about the things listed above. I am thinking to move the exhaust under the bike but am not sure if it's doable.
I have had a few drinks AND an FZ6 for 11 years so let me pick at this...

1000 miles in 2 months??? I would have thought that someone with a new bike would do that in a weekend.

I have had Akrapovics on mine since it was about 6 months old and my girlfriend has never complained about the heat. My wife, who spends more time on the back of the bike, hasn't either :spank:

The gearbox will improve and will feel better when you do more than 125 miles a week.

Power bar snack under the seat? Seriously?? And your cellphone? Can you spell t-a-n-k-b-a-g ?

:D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I mostly ride with regular jeans.. I know it's not perfect but sometimes it's just too hot outside to wear full protective gear. My bike is my only vehicle so I don't have the privilege of choosing what to ride/drive.

My bike has been my only ride as well. That being you should also know that wearing the appropriate gear for each condition is the key to being as comfortable as possible. Coming from Las Vegas I've ridden and put in my time riding in triple digit heat. fYI, riding in jeans will be hotter versus riding in mesh riding pants. I'm fortunate to have the motoport air mesh Kevlar pants so I can slip them over my shorts. You do understand how air conditioning works when you ride a motorcycle right?

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI, a 70/30 mix will take you down to -17c. I do not think NY gets that cold, unless you park your bike on the street. :D

This space intentionally left blank.

Last edited:

jentus

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI, a 70/30 mix will take you down to -17c. I do not think NY gets that cold, unless you park your bike on the street. :D

Hmm interesting.. Now since mine came in already diluted (50/50), How do I make it 70/30 now? I am sure we have some engineering majors here so please help :)

jentus

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had a few drinks AND an FZ6 for 11 years so let me pick at this...

1000 miles in 2 months??? I would have thought that someone with a new bike would do that in a weekend.

I have had Akrapovics on mine since it was about 6 months old and my girlfriend has never complained about the heat. My wife, who spends more time on the back of the bike, hasn't either :spank:

The gearbox will improve and will feel better when you do more than 125 miles a week.

Power bar snack under the seat? Seriously?? And your cellphone? Can you spell t-a-n-k-b-a-g ?

:D

As i mentioned before it's not my first bike so I am not an 18 year old excited teenager (I wish i was...). I just mentioned the 1000 miles because I thought it was enough to make some conclusions about the bike.

Tank bag? sure it's an potion but other bikes can manage without a tank bag so in my opinion it's a disadvantage the fz6 has in comparison to other bikes of its category.

In your case I would suggest to assemble a side car for your fz6 so you can take your wife and your girlfriend at the same time :)

jentus

Reaction score
Visit site
A 60/40 ratio is good for freezing temps. Even a 70/30 is good to freezing. A 50/50 mix is good to ridiculously low temps.

As far as exhaust goes, mine is stock, the wife never feels uncomfortable heat.

Maybe it's not the bike, maybe its my gf who is too bitchy about it :)
didn't have a chance to ride with other females yet... trying to be loyal lol

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm interesting.. Now since mine came in already diluted (50/50), How do I make it 70/30 now? I am sure we have some engineering majors here so please help :)

I am not that good at ratios. The easy way is to return the antifreeze for some straight antifreeze, and do the mix yourself. :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Do you really want to chance, during a cold winter, (which last year was really bad as you re-call), cracking your engine block due to freezing? Its not overheating, there's no issues with it. The fan doesn't even come on at 200 degree's.

Remember as well, coolant lubricates your cooling system, water pump, and helps protect against corrosion in your block/radiator.. Diluting it dilutes that as well.

I would trust the engineers at Prestone. Give them a call and ask how protected you are at the lower temps. Or put in OEM coolant.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nobody mentioned Water Wetter combined with distilled water? It brings the temp down better than anti-freeze coolant, I used it back in Vegas. But you may have to swap it out with actual anti-freeze during the winter since it will freeze. You can pick it up at any auto parts store.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you really want to chance, during a cold winter, (which last year was really bad as you re-call), cracking your engine block due to freezing? Its not overheating, there's no issues with it. The fan doesn't even come on at 200 degree's.

Remember as well, coolant lubricates your cooling system, water pump, and helps protect against corrosion in your block/radiator.. Diluting it dilutes that as well.

I would trust the engineers at Prestone. Give them a call and ask how protected you are at the lower temps. Or put in OEM coolant.

The lowest temp in NY in 2014 was 4 degrees F. This broke the record of 6 degrees set for Jan. 7 that dated back to 1896.

I think he is safe with the 70/30 mix, but if you want to play it safe, use a 60/40 mix.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There must be differences in the operating temperatures of our bikes. I'v never noticed any heat coming off my pipes even on 100 degree days. I ride in Dainese Kevlar Jeans with A* SMX Plus Boots.

Apples to Apples....
S1 to S2, the S2 has more catalytic converters which are larger and more efficient. In jeans you feel that heat at a stop on a hot day. In full gear, not so much.

As some of you may see, my S2 shed a few pounds and engine oil, water, and radiant heat have dropped substantially after those 3 cats took a hiatus.

This is night and day temperature difference and with 2bro out back, the sun adds more heat than the exhaust.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Apples to Apples....
S1 to S2, the S2 has more catalytic converters which are larger and more efficient. In jeans you feel that heat at a stop on a hot day. In full gear, not so much.

As some of you may see, my S2 shed a few pounds and engine oil, water, and radiant heat have dropped substantially after those 3 cats took a hiatus.

This is night and day temperature difference and with 2bro out back, the sun adds more heat than the exhaust.

So what your saying is that since I have a S2 with Leo Vince exhaust and mid-pipe my bike puts off less heat?

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
A larger, more efficient cat and a freer flowing exhaust will send more heat out of the exhaust, away from the bike altogether. The S1 and S2 engines will produce the same amount of heat.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So what your saying is that since I have a S2 with Leo Vince exhaust and mid-pipe my bike puts off less heat?

True! Although there are those header CATs!

A larger, more efficient cat and a freer flowing exhaust will send more heat out of the exhaust, away from the bike altogether. The S1 and S2 engines will produce the same amount of heat.

More heat out the exhaust = True! However, a hotter running exhaust also equates to more BTU's radiating more heat from the same materials. Adding to this; the S2 with a larger more efficient MID-PIPE CAT will also produce more radiant heat into the chassis do to proximity and efficiency.

The S1 only has a tiny midpipe CAT which is not as effective at re-burning unburnt fuel (it radiates little more heat than a straight pipe). It also has a fraction of the surface area.
An efficient Catalytic converter will re-burn the remaining fuel which is in the exhaust. On the S2, that CAT emits a lot of BTU's into the chassis doing this. IIRC the 3 way catalyst burns at 6 - 700°C
In addition, there is also radiant heat from the S2 header CATs. S1's don't have CATs in the headers. From personal experience (having installed an S1 header to the S2 chassis), the heat radiated from bike has DROPPED considerably.

Stick your hand under a cage. The last thing you want to grab is CAT! Its hotter than the engine gases on passenger vehicles.

jentus

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE

Today i finally had time to replace my coolant. I went with 40/60 mix and noticed a HUGE difference in temperatures. The average temp dropped by around 20 degrees F. I was riding around town today and the fan didn't kick in even once. Now im not sure I mixed the right coolant. the one I got says "concentrate antifreeze/coolant" so i assumed its 100% coolant so then I mixed it with 60% distilled water. Now im thinking maybe it had already been diluted 50/50 before I diluted it even further???
I hope now the coolant will resolve the seat heat issue as well. I will post an update once I get on the freeway for a long ride.

side note: the coolant i removed from my bike was blue. the coolant I put in is yellow... whatever that means

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AF2000-Extended-Life-Antifreeze/dp/B000CCM5JU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1433642391&sr=1-1&keywords=Prestone+AF2000+Extended+Life+Antifreeze+-+1+Gallon&pebp=1433642390792&perid=1WQAWZMMDTVHAEM8WZSY"]http://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AF2000-Extended-Life-Antifreeze/dp/B000CCM5JU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1433642391&sr=1-1&keywords=Prestone+AF2000+Extended+Life+Antifreeze+-+1+Gallon&pebp=1433642390792&perid=1WQAWZMMDTVHAEM8WZSY[/ame]

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE

Today i finally had time to replace my coolant. I went with 40/60 mix and noticed a HUGE difference in temperatures. The average temp dropped by around 20 degrees F. I was riding around town today and the fan didn't kick in even once. Now im not sure I mixed the right coolant. the one I got says "concentrate antifreeze/coolant" so i assumed its 100% coolant so then I mixed it with 60% distilled water. Now im thinking maybe it had already been diluted 50/50 before I diluted it even further???
I hope now the coolant will resolve the seat heat issue as well. I will post an update once I get on the freeway for a long ride.

side note: the coolant i removed from my bike was blue. the coolant I put in is yellow... whatever that means

Amazon.com: Prestone AF2000 Extended Life Antifreeze - 1 Gallon: Automotive

Naw, you fine. As posted above it's straight antifreeze and needs dilution.

I use the Prestone 50/50, good for five years. Its rare my temps get above 180F (not so much city driving).

I went to replace it again after 1.5 years and it still looked brand new, so it stayed...

Ocassional cooling system maintainance goes a long way...:thumbup:

BTW, I've NEVER had the fan kick on, NEVER.

I know it works as the original owner, years back, "exercised it" learning how to ride..

Last edited: