My thoughts after 2 month on FZ6 2009

jentus

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased the FZ6 2 months ago and have already put around 1k miles on it since then. Before the fazer I had many other bikes like GS500, Versys650, CB919 etc.. so I have something to compare to.

What I like about the FZ6:

Handling - I Love taking turns on that bike, I feels light and gives me lots of confidence.
Looks - It's a great looking peace of machinery
Center stand - makes my life easier
engine - I am not a big fan of high rev engines but this engine just feels at home when revving above 8k and I like how the bike wakes up after 8k revs.
Price - It's a lot of bike for the buck. There are some great low miles fz's for less than $3k, I got mine with 1400 miles on it.

What I DON't like about the FZ6:

Exhaust - Even though it looks sexy, I don't like the amount of heat it produces on longer trips. The back of the seat gets real worm (even hot) which is a big discomfort for my girlfriend when we ride far. It might be nice in the winter, but I don't ride much in the winter anyways and def not with my gf in the back.
Gear box - Very clickly, especially when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Maybe my bike is not completely broken in yet so we will see. But I would expect a more friendly gear box from Yamaha.

Fuel MPG - consumes about the same as my CB919 but with 300cc less, not reasonable in my opinion. I get around 38mpg with mixed riding.

Lack of space under the seat - I understand it's because the exhaust but it's become a concern now because there are some things (like my cellphone, power bar snack that would melt) that I can't put under the seat because it gets so hot there.

Overall I like the bike and will keep it but I did get disappointed about the things listed above. I am thinking to move the exhaust under the bike but am not sure if it's doable.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re the shifter, after its fully broken in, try Motul 7100 full synthetic oil. My transmission smooths better now than when new (19,000 miles now), NOT clicky at ALL..

Re the muffler, dump it and get some after market pipes. Thier lighter, sound better, are NOT one huge heat sink and the heat is about gone. Your bike won't sound like a sewing machine either. Wakes up the engine too...

Most bikes, average riders, few mods, get you mileage or better. I'm averaging about 47 MPG(US) around town (no interstate) with just after market pipes, no juice box, stock gearing.. If I'm hard on the throttle, 44MPG's maybe..

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm. My girlfriend loves the underseat exhaust warmth when we're moving especially when it's overcast crappy British weather as it has been today. I agree the gearbox is a bit clicky but it's manageable.

My best mileage from a completely brimmed tank is 196.3 miles - got about 15 to 20 miles into the reserve before. According to how much fuel I put in using an online calc, conservatively that gave me 51-58 MPG. I use premium fuel and do all kinds of riding, so this includes a few dashes to work, some 2-up and whatever else I was up to that week. Way, WAY better than my XJ-6 ever managed, where it needed filling every 130-150 miles.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For those riders who notice the heat from the under tail exhaust, are you riding with jeans or shorts? The heat from the engine, seat or exhaust has never been noticeable enough for me to even mention that it's hot. I'm thinking it's the gear that I wear every time I mount my bike, it really does it's job, more than what it was intended for, the crash.

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
I could barely stand riding my bike on the highway to Prince George last year in July when the weather was hot. I don't remember the ambient temperature, but the heat coming off my bike and wallowing around me at highway speeds was astonishing. I couldn't believe it, and at one point, I was considering pulling over and taking a break because the heat was almost unbearable. So, I can relate to heat being an issue in certain contexts.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
There must be differences in the operating temperatures of our bikes. I'v never noticed any heat coming off my pipes even on 100 degree days. I ride in Dainese Kevlar Jeans with A* SMX Plus Boots.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I try NOT to ride above 90F.

I am guilty of always wearing jeans and sneakers.

During the mild winters down here, say its 50F, and I have a cross wind, I can feel a little heat from the engine on my legs.

As I mostly avoid heavy traffic, its extremly rare my temp gauge will hit 190F. Usually max, beating around town, 183F, 184F maybe. Usually 174 is the norm....

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
The gearbox is fine, 1st to and is a bit clunky, but the other gears have positive feel to them, no false neutrals it grinding.

The exhaust my wife has never complained about excessive heat, and we live in the hot and humid south.

Under seat. I have never thought Of storing stuff there. I have a magnetic tank bag for that. I have had other bike with more conventional exhaust, and they did not have much more (if any) space (after the tool pouch).

This space intentionally left blank.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 06 version and the heat is none existent in any weather, no matter what I wear. The only time when I can feel just a little warm, is in heavy rush hour traffic. Feels just a bit on a side where the water pomp is.
I ride a lot 2up and my wife had never complain about the heat.

That said, few years ago, I had an 07 version, and the heat was just unbearable. Coming from all directions. Seat felt like a stove. Heat all around the legs... I sold it mainly because of this.

Last edited:

jentus

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like some people have heat problems and some don't, I wonder if it has to do with the stock exhaust vs aftermarket one. Maybe stock exhaust gets hotter because it blocks more noise and therefore doesn't let it out freely. Another thing is coolant, Ive noticed my bike runs a bit hotter than usual, I hear the fan come off a lot in city especially. My coolant is 6.5 years old and it's time to change it. I already purchased the 50/50 prestone and will change it this coming weekend. I am not sure how hot these r6 engines are supposed to run but when i ride in city with traffic I see the 200f mark a lot.

jentus

Reaction score
Visit site
For those riders who notice the heat from the under tail exhaust, are you riding with jeans or shorts? The heat from the engine, seat or exhaust has never been noticeable enough for me to even mention that it's hot. I'm thinking it's the gear that I wear every time I mount my bike, it really does it's job, more than what it was intended for, the crash.

I mostly ride with regular jeans.. I know it's not perfect but sometimes it's just too hot outside to wear full protective gear. My bike is my only vehicle so I don't have the privilege of choosing what to ride/drive.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
My coolant is 6.5 years old and it's time to change it. I already purchased the 50/50 prestone and will change it this coming weekend. I am not sure how hot these r6 engines are supposed to run but when i ride in city with traffic I see the 200f mark a lot.

That's normal. You can run a greater ratio of water to antifreeze to improve cooling. Just use distilled water if you bump up the ratio of your 50/50.

jentus

Reaction score
Visit site
That's normal. You can run a greater ratio of water to antifreeze to improve cooling. Just use distilled water if you bump up the ratio of your 50/50.

I bought it prediluted so im not sure i want to mess with the ratio. Also in the winter it gets freezing here in NY so I don't think i want to change the ratio.

I bought the "Prestone AF2000 Extended Life Antifreeze", I hope its motorcycle compatible... I read it was silicate free so i assumed it was good for our fz's

bluefizzah

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not had any problems with heat on mine. I am just getting into the super heat here (100+ all day, because Arizona) so far the only thing I notice is a bit of heat radiating from the engine at a stop light but nothing on the seat. I have an 05 that's 100% stock engine wise so I haven't done an exhaust mod at all.

I wonder if there is a difference between the older vs newer versions of the FZ6?

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought it prediluted so im not sure i want to mess with the ratio. Also in the winter it gets freezing here in NY so I don't think i want to change the ratio.

I bought the "Prestone AF2000 Extended Life Antifreeze", I hope its motorcycle compatible... I read it was silicate free so i assumed it was good for our fz's

A 60/40 ratio is good for freezing temps. Even a 70/30 is good to freezing. A 50/50 mix is good to ridiculously low temps.

As far as exhaust goes, mine is stock, the wife never feels uncomfortable heat.

This space intentionally left blank.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just as a side note.

Years ago, I made up, with some header wrap, A/C duct tape, (the shiney, sticky stuff) a custom piece to fit up under a cover under the seat.

It doesn't touch the exhaust but you can see the silver edges where it sticks out slightly. A definite heat barrier.

For those with aftermarket pipes, (the stock muffler protects the area) dirt and crap is easily thrown into the seat lasp assembly. I also used some of that tape and regular duct tape to make up a "barrier" to keep crap from getting up into the assembly..

You can see the silver duct tape under the latch in the first picture.

Double click to enlarge;