My friend went down

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Three of us we're riding down Banner Grade/ rt.78. My friend is in front on his 1000rr. All of a sudden he's low-siding into the the side of the mountain. He and the bike hit the side and spun back out into my path and I was able to get around it. There is only about 10 inches of shoulder and then a foot of dirt and then you're digging to the side of dirt and rock. He was okay with only some scratches and of course sore from the hit. His bike might be totaled. He was so shocked he thought he had high-sided but he low-sided, hit the dirt wall, and spun around.

We discussed what had happened and he said he grabbed front brake. For all but the largest of radius, we were going straight and we were approaching a blind right hander. We were not close enough even for the set up on the turn and weren't coming in hot at all. My feeling is that he maybe thought we were to hot and did a quick Survival Response on the front brake and since we were on a down grade lost his back wheel much sooner than on a climb or level ground.

It was a hard day because he has been really improving his riding skills this year and he was riding exceptionally well yesterday. That was the end of our ride yesterday except for the slow gloomy tow truck procession home.

I can't judge him or anyone on this type of thing. We can try to look at what happened and possibly prevent it. Maybe share the experience so we all can benefit.

Happy riding out there!

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. :(

I actually just passed through there yesterday on my meandering trip back to LA from SD. Fun road.

It always sucks when rides end this way, but the tow truck procession home is always better than a trip to the ER. Glad you avoided it and hopefully your buddy will get back on two wheels to practice some more braking exercises once his bike is sorted out.

How long has he been riding? That 1000RR is a handful I'm sure, but braking mishaps like that can happen on any bike.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. :(

I actually just passed through there yesterday on my meandering trip back to LA from SD. Fun road.

It always sucks when rides end this way, but the tow truck procession home is always better than a trip to the ER. Glad you avoided it and hopefully your buddy will get back on two wheels to practice some more braking exercises once his bike is sorted out.

How long has he been riding? That 1000RR is a handful I'm sure, but braking mishaps like that can happen on any bike.

I thought I saw and FZ6 on the Grade yesterday. We were 3 bikes on the side of the road . A blue FZ6 a gray n black 1000rr and a yellow Duc. Monster.

He's been riding about a year but got his bike (a 600rr) stolen and lost riding time. Then got the 1000rr a couple of months ago. He's actually been riding a lot better lately and I think he'll hop right back on.

Yeah We're happy it just the bike....

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what it is about those downhill corners, or even a downhill grade while prepping for a corner. I have a lot less confidence in my own skills going downhill than up. It's definitely a survival response to grab a handful of brake and I've done a much better job of NOT doing this myself so far this year. I've been lucky.

Sorry to hear about your buddy, but as other have said, glad it ended with a tow truck ride home and not an ambulance ride. Overcoming those snap survival responses is just a part of the learning curve and it sucks...lol. Hope he gets back in the saddle soon!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Never ridden one, but I'm guessing the big 1000RR has some less than n00b friendly front brakes. Glad everyone was ok.

The less friendly front brakes were also my first guess on that scenario but I would be guessing as I've never ridden one either.

He said the front hopped about three times and the back came out. There was a skid mark about 5 feet but I think that was the bike sliding out.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Always good to hear that the rider is ok and will hop back on the bike. It's a shame the bike might be totaled but at least he can learn from it and so can everyone else on the forum. Thanks for the post

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what it is about those downhill corners, or even a downhill grade while prepping for a corner. I have a lot less confidence in my own skills going downhill than up. It's definitely a survival response to grab a handful of brake and I've done a much better job of NOT doing this myself so far this year. I've been lucky.

Sorry to hear about your buddy, but as other have said, glad it ended with a tow truck ride home and not an ambulance ride. Overcoming those snap survival responses is just a part of the learning curve and it sucks...lol. Hope he gets back in the saddle soon!

Yup! Gotta admit I've experience all those responses. Hopefully we get through them on the upright path of it all.

Yeah, I called him this AM and he's doing fine....Thanks!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember, the number one cause for an accident invloving a motorcyclist when only involving his or herself, is failure to negotiate a turn. Sounds to me your friend needs to brush up on his skills on how to properly negotiate a curve.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear that there was no hospital time involved. I hope he rebounds and gets back on two wheels ASAP.

As bad as any accident can be there is always learning opportunities embedded in them.

Experience is the ultimate teacher.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear your friend did OK in the crash and yeah, too bad about the bike. I've been up and down Banner grade a number of times and down is definitely more challenging. Damn gravity I suppose :(

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds to me as if he gets another sport bike he needs to do a track riding school to learn his machine. Even you said he was getting better which says he needs quality traning.
A properly set up and ridden 1000rr should be able to out corner our FZ6 - no sweat. More powerful brakes just means he should have more control with less effort.
It is always easier to control the bike uphill, going downhill requires more engine braking or even help from the front brake if too hot.Better to low side than high side.
Very glad he is ok, something we all have to work on- smooth control.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about this and good that he's OK.

I had my "moment" a couple of weekends ago out on Highland Valley Road near Ramona. Sucks.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about his off, but glad he is OK! Best thing he can do is get back on and ride. Has he taken the BRC? If not, he should.

Ride safe!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about his off, but glad he is OK! Best thing he can do is get back on and ride. Has he taken the BRC? If not, he should.

Ride safe!

I don't know if he's taken any courses. It may be more of a combo of not learning the bike enough and then pushing a little. I guess it's part of riding. I saw what happened and can't say what he did wrong other than ride the bike completely on it's side. My first impression was he was on the back brake but he says he was on the front brake. It was definitely fast.
I respect something else that I can't really put my finger on to get me through tough situations or that diverts me from them. I've been in situations where I'm going to be toast and some thing says let go and go for that hole. Some how I survive an event that I'm worthy enough to get into but not worthy enough to get out of!

I'm so thankful that his lesson will help me to stray away from that scenario and thankful for that other guidance system that's kept me riding.

I'm super thankful that my friend and I will ride again.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember, the number one cause for an accident invloving a motorcyclist when only involving his or herself, is failure to negotiate a turn. Sounds to me your friend needs to brush up on his skills on how to properly negotiate a curve.

+1 I completely agree, from personal experience too.