My dream is to ride...And i need your help

PatrickS

Reaction score
Visit site
Morning,

Ever since i got my motorcycle, all i can think of is my dream trip on my bike. It involves several stops along the way, and includes alot of Km...(DOH)
I am writing this today in search of tips, help from people that already did this and had to experience a long trip first hand.

I am not talking about the kid of trip where you get to sleep in Mariotts and Sheratons... No... its the kind of trip where you sleep in the wild :D

I am still young, but i am dying to do this... This summer, instead of taking summer courses like i usually do, i will be on my dream trip; alone or with 40 bikers it doesn't matter, as long as i can feel the cool summer breeze on my cheeks :D

Here is the list of things i will be needing, and please feel free to add more to it as you see fit. I would like to take into account all the variables so if something unxpected happens i will be ready for it.

So far here it is:

Tent:
http://www.rei.com/product/731378

Sleeping bag:
http://www.rei.com/product/753987

Bungee Cords:
Canadian Tire

Side Bag :(I can't seem to find any big ones that can be installed on the side)
http://www.giviusa.com/per_la_tua_moto.asp?co_id=14283&lang=en

Passenger Bag:
T-BAGS® UNIVERSAL<BR> EXPANDABLE :: Detail

Tank Bag:
T400NG - Magnetic tank bag

Portable Stove:
Canadian Tire

BBQ Grill:
Whitehorse Gear - Grilliput Fire Pit

Lantern:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=WrjlJT2XNvcJXvh6fHvQSdp1MNzJrXGsjG65JSphYHk8p1wL8y43!-1853870108?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442627167&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302697119&bmUID=1226014328040

Flat Tire kit:
Buy MotoMaster Inflate & Seal in Canada

Camel Pack:
http://www.modernbike.com/hydration.asp]Camel Hydration Packs and other Water Systems

Travel insurance:
Camel Hydration Packs and other Water Systems

Thant is all i can think off, so any help will be appreciated :)
Breakdown insurance:
(Who sells me that one ?? is it my regular insurer)

Also:
-First Aid
-Cash ( for emergency)
-Camera
-Spare phone battery or charger

Now, i know that sometime during that trip, i will be needed some maintenance, what will have to be done other then changing tires ?

Last edited:

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't help you out, as this is still a dream for thevmaxrider and I too, after the children grow up. Good on ya for doing this while you are still young and unencumbered.
Do you have a destination in mind or a turn where you may, stop where you want type of thing?
If you ever get up into Ontario I HIGHLY suggest riding Hwy 118, at least once, maybe twice. Once to get to know the road and scenery, and the second to play. DO NOT do it on a weekend when granny and gramps are out for their Sunday drive.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe want a Camel Pack for water or a canteen.

Toilet paper!

Condom!:rockon:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Water. Water is heavy so you will probably want to replenish at every stop. Just remmeber to carry emergency water and any you will need for cooking.

Sunscreen for when its sunny
Rain gear for when it rains

Bring emergency CASH

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A GPS...oe map, as already mentioned. First aid kit, travel insurance, thermals for those cold nights in the wild, plastic sheet for those wet nights in the wild, either used on the ground, or over your tent.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dumbest thing I ever forgot on a long trip/camp was chain lube, and it rained. All the way back my chain was in dire need of lubing:eek:.

Not sure what's in your area or what you are into, but I won't leave home without a small telescopic fishing rod and some gear:D.

A small light source is pretty handy....and I always carry my mini mag light.:thumbup:

Spare battery for your phone or some way of recharging it.

A camera for all the photos you are going to take and put on the forum for us to ogle:D...lol.
Cheers
Mike

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Breakdown Insurance is a must because then at least you know you can get the bike home if you break down and cannot fix it. You can always get home but that chunk of metal is a problem.
GPS for sure and a decent camera.
It is not all about riding mile after mile. It is about stopping and seeing things and meeting new people. If you want to ride mile after mile just stay near home.

Steve

Reaction score
Visit site
Breakdown Insurance is a must because then at least you know you can get the bike home if you break down and cannot fix it. You can always get home but that chunk of metal is a problem.
GPS for sure and a decent camera.
It is not all about riding mile after mile. It is about stopping and seeing things and meeting new people. If you want to ride mile after mile just stay near home.

Steve

i agree there...the more stops the better! talk to some local ppl and friends and try and plan the scenic route...its the whole point of taking a bike on a road trip!!!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Why are you looking at Canadian tire for camping supplies? I'd be leary of that one. Go to a reputable outdoor/camping supply store for that stuff. You won't be any more miserable than you would be if you were laying in bed, in the rain, getting wet. There is nothing worse, because wet leads to cold, cold leads to no sleep, no sleep leads to no riding and potential sickness/hypothermia.

Bottom line, get good quality equipment, don't skimp.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As has been mentioned, get good quality gear from a reputable outdoor-specific type store, such as REI. Not sure if you all have them up there in the great white north.

Rather than carry around a full-size tent such as you'd linked to, you might look into either a bivy sack or just teach yourself how to rig various types of shelter from a good tarp.

Flashlight has been mentioned but I'd upgrade that to a headlamp. It's nice to be able to have both hands when you need to do some work in the dark.

Tools. Don't depend on the stock tool kit. And don't kid yourself into thinking that your trip will be free from mechanical issues. Nothing such worse than not having the right tools. I don't remember where I ran across it, but do a google search on the topic and you'll find sites where folks list of what a bare minimum tool kit should consist.

Though gps has been mentioned lots, believe it or not, you can do without it. I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't, just that it's not an absolute necessity, like a tool kit. They're awfully handy and, when prepped right, can make the day of riding just that, a day of riding as opposed to stopping and figuring out where you are and where you need to go. But then, if this is going to be more of an adventure, maybe doing it with maps is the way to go.

How's your personal, protective gear situation? Have you got good jacket and pants?

Last edited:

PatrickS

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow thanks for all the tips and advice:)

The more i think about this the more i cant wait for this to happen.... but i think it will be a nice experience overall.
I am still debating whether to go from Montreal to Fairbanks or to Miami.
Either or, i will need alot of gear i take with me, you guys think an FZ6 can carry all this ?

I am thinking also about replacing my stock seat with Corbin ones. Anyone put them to the test and can give me any inputs on em ?

Thanks again :)

-P

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a blast! I haven't done any motorcycle touring like this yet, but I've done a lot of bicycle touring and backpacking. I would definitely recommend a smaller tent if you're traveling alone, something like a backpacking tent would be perfect.
The suggestion of rigging a tarp is also a good one, as long as conditions aren't too adverse. If you're in the mountains in the summer, it can go south quick and you can wind up soaked. I like the nice dry cocoon of my Marmot 1p tent. Go to sleep and know you'll wake up dry.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Advil. You're going to be sore most likely if you haven't been conditioning for such long distance riding. Advil helps relax your muscles. Dry food like pasta is easy to pack, light, and requires little preparation on your stove.

FYI: camping always requires a box of Velveeta Mac n Cheese (if you have it there). No milk/margarine required (only water to boil) and it's the best!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 can definitely do long trips.

- Go to LDCOMFORT.COM and get yourself a pair of riding shorts. These things are amazing (better than cycling shorts). They'll easily double your daily riding range. You can wash them in the evening and they'll be dry the next morning and ready to go. Best money I've spent - EVER. Lots of long-distance champs use them, and with good reason.

- A lot of riders use a product called 'Jetboil' to cook stuff. Apparently it's small, light, and easy to use.

- Givis are the easiest option for storing stuff in a secure, waterproof way. You might also want a tankbag to storing stuff you want to take off the bike frequently (phone/wallet/keys/ipod).

- If you're not a member of advrider.com go over there and sign up. They have an excellent 'trip planning' forum and lots of info on how/where to travel. Tons of inspiring stories too.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing a Jetboil is good for, as he name suggests, is boiling water for freeze dried meals.

The FZ6 can definitely do long trips.

- Go to LDCOMFORT.COM and get yourself a pair of riding shorts. These things are amazing (better than cycling shorts). They'll easily double your daily riding range. You can wash them in the evening and they'll be dry the next morning and ready to go. Best money I've spent - EVER. Lots of long-distance champs use them, and with good reason.

- A lot of riders use a product called 'Jetboil' to cook stuff. Apparently it's small, light, and easy to use.

- Givis are the easiest option for storing stuff in a secure, waterproof way. You might also want a tankbag to storing stuff you want to take off the bike frequently (phone/wallet/keys/ipod).

- If you're not a member of advrider.com go over there and sign up. They have an excellent 'trip planning' forum and lots of info on how/where to travel. Tons of inspiring stories too.