MUST DO suspension adjustment/mods

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
i think i'm gonna leave this mod for next year... i want to sell the FZ and get something a bit more adept for the track right out of the box. If only i can find someone to buy the FZ now.

H

HavBlue

Spend the $100.00 on the Race Tech springs and 15 wt oil and you'll be blown away, night and day!

+1 and the addition of a race brace on the front forks will improve the turning stability as well.

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
I put my rear preload at 5, but found the ride too stiff and I ended up too far forward for comfort. Also, the bike got tougher to ease into a good turn. I actually had a near wipeout from over shooting it, but maybe that was from not being used to having the rear set harder.

I set it back to 3 and I can fling it around more naturally.

Then again, I am not on tracks, just beating it on country roads.

Good post though, and I would love to have adjustable front forks but I guess that's the cost of getting a good bike out there on the cheap.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think i'm gonna leave this mod for next year... i want to sell the FZ and get something a bit more adept for the track right out of the box. If only i can find someone to buy the FZ now.

How many times have you had the FZ6 on the track?

Nothing personal here but I can't imagine your abilities on the track are greater than this bike's ability. When you can do more than this bike on the course, then would be a great time to move to a thoroughbred. Moving to a race-ready bike without the skills developed could be a costly mistake. Again, not personal as I don't know your capabilites. I just strongly feel this bike has a lot to offer.

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
How many times have you had the FZ6 on the track?

Nothing personal here but I can't imagine your abilities on the track are greater than this bike's ability. When you can do more than this bike on the course, then would be a great time to move to a thoroughbred. Moving to a race-ready bike without the skills developed could be a costly mistake. Again, not personal as I don't know your capabilites. I just strongly feel this bike has a lot to offer.

I completely agree with the fact that i haven't outridden the bike yet, but the bike isn't made to be taken on the track, or to do the things i'd like to do with it.

Stock, the FZ is an AMAZING street bike, but a less than average track bike. And i agree that i could change the front end, the rear suspension, put on some rear sets and some clip-ons. But i prefer to get a bike that's made for this purpose from the get go.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I completely agree with the fact that i haven't outridden the bike yet, but the bike isn't made to be taken on the track, or to do the things i'd like to do with it.

Stock, the FZ is an AMAZING street bike, but a less than average track bike. And i agree that i could change the front end, the rear suspension, put on some rear sets and some clip-ons. But i prefer to get a bike that's made for this purpose from the get go.

This about covers it. :cheer:

:D GYTR YAMAHA FZ6 Cup - Home :rockon:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I agree the FZ is a GREAT street bike that can tour to track days and everything in between. The nice thing about a true sport bike is that it allows you to ride on the track easier. The whole bike is pretty much designed for that mission in mind. It puts you in a better body position for the track which allows to easy direction change, braking, tucking, etc. That and as Schumy said, the suspension is adjustable to different tracks and conditions, ie: rain, new pavement, rough pavement, etc.

After a 20 to 25 minute session on the track you are physically and mentally whipped, and the easier it is to concentrate the better you'll be able to ride.