Michelin Pilot Road 3 are here!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
looking forward to getting mine in a few days, my bike has 13 K KM on the stockers , still some life left but alot of cracking due to their age

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
So, disregarding mileage, how often should I replace tires?

I bought my bike used with 2000miles last year, currently only 2900 miles, I plan on riding through this season with the stock tires on my 2007...

I ride for pleasure, imagine putting a couple thousand miles on them this season and getting new tires next season. Sound like a plan? Or is 4+ year old tires getting old?

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, disregarding mileage, how often should I replace tires?

I bought my bike used with 2000miles last year, currently only 2900 miles, I plan on riding through this season with the stock tires on my 2007...

I ride for pleasure, imagine putting a couple thousand miles on them this season and getting new tires next season. Sound like a plan? Or is 4+ year old tires getting old?

Replace them when they are worn out! :D

Check the tread depth and keep an eye out for the wear bars... they will begin to show when you are at the limit.

I got 7000 miles on my stock D252's.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tires have a shelf life, four year old tires will be okay if you ride in a straight line or if you drive a car and have four of them. Being that your bike is an 07, I bet the tires are closer to five years old. And you only have two, not four!

Replace them!

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Tires have a shelf life, four year old tires will be okay if you ride in a straight line or if you drive a car and have four of them. Being that your bike is an 07, I bet the tires are closer to five years old. And you only have two, not four!

Replace them!

Yeah, what he said. And don't let the new ones harden before they get used!

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
looking forward to getting mine in a few days, my bike has 13 K KM on the stockers , still some life left but alot of cracking due to their age

Cracking!?!?! :eek:Those tire are toast! No Cracking allowed! You need new rubber now!

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site

Replace them!

I'll look into replacing them this season. Something I can do myself? (Install tire on wheel)...

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
I'll look into replacing them this season. Something I can do myself? (Install tire on wheel)...

you can. you can do it without some sort of tire changer but i've never tried that route. you can also get a tire changing machine (which is what i did). they're pretty expensive but worth it in the long run. i don't have time to find it, but there's at least one really good thread with videos on here detailing changing your tires. do a search through the forum and i'm sure you'll get enough info to figure out if you want to spend your time doing it.

crimsonrick

Reaction score
Visit site
Had my new PR3's installed last week. Went for a nice ride Sunday. It was a pleasure feeling comfortable leaning much further into the twistys. Didn't have much confidence in the old tires. Talked to a tire rep while getting them installed, he raved about them. And I didn't even buy them from him, lol.

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
5793839745_41425f4df1_z.jpg

Alright... After just under 10,000 miles on my PR3's, I have one thing to say after today... STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THESE TIRES...

Today was the first day that the temperature here in MS got above 100 degrees. So, this morning I start my daily commute from Gulfport, MS to Slidell, LA. She weather is clear, the interstate nice and smooth. As I enter the NASA buffer zone, the handling changes. I pull over... My back tire had melted apart. The rubber was so soft that I could leave fingerprints in it by barely touching them.

5793839687_ff7dfe54d2_z.jpg

5794397648_2e568e6844_z.jpg

My air pressure was dead on. My treadwear was great. I hit no debris. There is no punctures in the tire. The rubber literally melted to the point that the lateral slits in the tire became gooey and by touching them could see straight to the belts. The rubber was literally falling off in hunks in some areas.

So now here is the question, what should I do guys? Suck it up and buy new tires? Same ones? Or the Pilot 2's? I can get a deal on the Power CT2's.... Should I call Michelin?

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Call Michellin,
Those are new 2011 tires, they should know and may be appreciate some feed back from real world riding to improve.

Glad it didn't end on an accident.

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
The third picture is dramatic! What the eff is that?

That is where the chunks of rubber are falling off the tire. The tire is literally just gooey and falling apart. I'm still sitting here on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck still...

Wasn't driving too fast (85 in a 70). But it IS pretty hot today...

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy ****. I run these on my VFR and had some fun in the twisties the other day and I loved how they handled but wtf is this?!?! I'll be extra careful when the temps climb up around here too. Call Michelin for sure.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow...those pics are shocking to say the least. I was completely sold on the PR3's to replace my stock D252's.
Please let us know what Michelin has to say about the matter. Glad you pulled over before anything untoward happened.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put these on my FZ6 two weeks ago and haven't really had any weather to go riding. I did make a run up on skyline blvd. and they seem pretty sweet! Question as to what tire pressure to run on these P3's. EDR who mounted them has them at 36 front and 42 rear? Seem kind of high. The tires seem too full.
Thanks,

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your reason why they fell apart was that it was too hot? Well I guess these tires won't perform very well here in Vegas where the daily temps exceeds 110 degrees here during the summer, which means the pavement is even hotter.

I agree with Hoshiko, you should contact Michellin or e-mail them and include this link. They need to know! You probably can get a new set with zero out of pocket.

I'm pretty loyal to Michellin, as I always get over 16,000 miles out of my PP 2ct or Pures, but I have never run the Road II or III's.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek:

Just had my Pilot Road 2's put on yesterday... sure hope they are not having some sort of rubber problem in the plant. I think you are going to get a quick replacement or reimbursement when they see they pics. Make sure they pay for the tow and inconvenience while they are at it. That could have easily been a call for an ambulance with that tow truck!

Did I misunderstand something though, those tires don't look like they have anywhere near 10,000 miles on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.