Meh, broken down

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got the bill from the mechanic....

£475,64 :scared:

Think that includes price of new tensioner, gaskets, new brake pads, oil change, valve clearance check. I'll check for certain later.

A but more than I expected, but I guess it adds up. Moral of the story: don't ignore dodgy engine sounds

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's any consolation, my 18k service last week came to £450. I think that's a downside of buying a low mileage bike: they generally don't get serviced as much........

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess it's not so bad then, like I said I did plan on having a major service done, but did't get around to it.

It's got 34k miles on the clock so I guess it's overdue

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was new front tyre, new chain and sprockets, new brake fluid, oil and filter, air filter and.........something else I've forgotten.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ ouch! i'm pretty sure I'd cry if given that bill!

The good news; Its alive and worthy of a new chain AND it did not harm the rider! :thumbup: It just seems crazy it failed like that while cruising.... I'm guessing when/if mine lets go it will become a donor machine assuming it doesn't kill me in the process! :eek:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the slightly rattly noise from the front should have given me a bit of warning. The mechanic says once you hear them then you need to replace it ASAP. He said they wear out very quickly on 600's.

Bill included:
- New cam chain
- New tensioner
- New brake pads
- Oil change + filter + 0.5l oil for top ups
- New spark plugs
- Valve clearance check + 4 shims
- Probably a gasket for the timing cover

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear it.

Your about the only one that hasn't needed a new head rebuild or engine..:thumbup:

My mechanic phoned me up and called me a lucky b*stard, as it had just come loose and not slipped. He mentioned that the tensioner wasn't at the end of the range of it's adjustment, it appears the spring broke inside it.

Though if I was lucky, I can only imagine how much it would have cost if I had bent valves, it would probably have written the bike off.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My mechanic phoned me up and called me a lucky b*stard, as it had just come loose and not slipped. He mentioned that the tensioner wasn't at the end of the range of it's adjustment, it appears the spring broke inside it.

Though if I was lucky, I can only imagine how much it would have cost if I had bent valves, it would probably have written the bike off.

I think yours is also the only one with a broke spring (or no ones noticed it broke). Believe it or not, you got VERY LUCKY on that CCT.. :thumbup: