possible TPS problem?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had no TPS problems with my bike since I got it 2.5 years ago, but had an issue last night.

Going to the gym from work, going down a dual carriageway, I was overtaking a car, and as I changed up a gear the bike made a bit of a clonk, as though the engine had stalled or the chain slipped a tooth. I carried on, and when I pulled up to the roundabout the bike died. I started it no problem and turned into the gym. At this point it felt awfully lumpy and a bit lacking in power, and when stopped I noticed it was idling around 700rpm.

I went into the diagnostic menu and checked the TPS, initially it reported 0, but then after turning the handle it went back to it's normal range of 16-101, and I've not seen it at less than 16 since, and it's been idling back around 1300 since.

Is my TPS on the way out, could it just be a momentary problem? The bike is a 2005 FZ6, I don't know if it had the recall done, but I have heard they can still fail after they've been replaced. The bike might have been a little cool as I'd only been riding for around 5 minutes. Weather conditions were clear but a little cold (~4C).

Not sure what else it could be. Only other electrical problems I've had have been the rear lights and indicators not working a couple of times when the bike gets very wet.

:confused:

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
The way you describe it does sound like it could be the TPS. According to the recall bulletin there should be a punch mark besides the frame VIN number on your bike. Mine's 2004, no punch mark, maybe it was changed before me as I'm not the first owner but it's fine on my bike.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
It should be a Tps problem if it wasn't changed before.
Check the small punch mark on the frame beside engine and frame number, near steering. Yamaha should change it free but if they don't, i have a spare new one
that i didn't know that Yamaha would change it free.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha has a strange stance on this. Basically they don't change it unless the bike was bought in the same region you want to change it in. They also don't let their dealers access service history of bikes from other regions. I was informed other Jap manufacturers don't do this nonsense.

It should be a Tps problem if it wasn't changed before.
Check the small punch mark on the frame beside engine and frame number, near steering. Yamaha should change it free but if they don't, i have a spare new one
that i didn't know that Yamaha would change it free.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any TPS can go bad so even if the recall has been done the TPS may still be bad.
Interesting that you have an intermittent condition with other electrics on the bike. I would start by checking harness plugs. Separate them, inspect and clean as needed. We had a member that had the plug go bad at the ECU from water getting flung in that area. Disconnect the negative lead on the battery and go hunting!

We had a member with an issue where his bike ran fine but as soon as the rear wheel move it would miss and sputter. It was crosstalk signals between the speedo sensor and the TPS. When the harness plugs where cleaned the bike was good to go. :)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i might give that a go at the weekend, also a bit of a noob question, but where exactly is the ECU in relation to the bike frame? (on the FZ6N)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i might give that a go at the weekend, also a bit of a noob question, but where exactly is the ECU in relation to the bike frame? (on the FZ6N)

Greg,
PM me your email and what year your bike is. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The big plug with all the wires.. 2008 is in this view

DSC_5710web.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had no TPS problems with my bike since I got it 2.5 years ago, but had an issue last night.

Going to the gym from work, going down a dual carriageway, I was overtaking a car, and as I changed up a gear the bike made a bit of a clonk, as though the engine had stalled or the chain slipped a tooth. I carried on, and when I pulled up to the roundabout the bike died. I started it no problem and turned into the gym. At this point it felt awfully lumpy and a bit lacking in power, and when stopped I noticed it was idling around 700rpm.

I went into the diagnostic menu and checked the TPS, initially it reported 0, but then after turning the handle it went back to it's normal range of 16-101, and I've not seen it at less than 16 since, and it's been idling back around 1300 since.

Is my TPS on the way out, could it just be a momentary problem? The bike is a 2005 FZ6, I don't know if it had the recall done, but I have heard they can still fail after they've been replaced. The bike might have been a little cool as I'd only been riding for around 5 minutes. Weather conditions were clear but a little cold (~4C).

Not sure what else it could be. Only other electrical problems I've had have been the rear lights and indicators not working a couple of times when the bike gets very wet.

Let us know the fix

Neil

Last edited:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha has a strange stance on this. Basically they don't change it unless the bike was bought in the same region you want to change it in.

they had to contact the headquarters in japan to get it done because my VIN number wasnt in any of their systems but I they did it free....its a JDM bike given a US vin when it was imported to Hawaii and its now in Georgia of all places lol
the only reason I know this is because we had so much trouble finding the vin when i went in to have the tps changed....I was terrified the bike was stolen at first :eek: